Author Topic: how can you help me?  (Read 1417 times)

haithamsaber

• Kudos: 10
how can you help me?
« on: 14 May 2005, 23:10 »
first of all iam so sorry of all my time i spend on microsoft, i start finding about linux a few monthes ago, i only traied live cd's. i download debian & fedora iso's but i havn't install them yet, i love both sarfing the net and games. i found linux so good for sarfing the net but i don't know about games. is there a platform that i can play on all the games that i play on microsoft platforms& if there is nothing like this when this can happend and what kept it from happening iam so tiered of microsoft i can learn about a new platform if it gives me all what i want.
if any one have an advice for me i will be thankful

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: how can you help me?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2005, 23:33 »
Quote from: haithamsaber
first of all iam so sorry of all my time i spend on microsoft, i start finding about linux a few monthes ago, i only traied live cd's. i download debian & fedora iso's but i havn't install them yet, i love both sarfing the net and games. i found linux so good for sarfing the net but i don't know about games. is there a platform that i can play on all the games that i play on microsoft platforms& if there is nothing like this when this can happend and what kept it from happening iam so tiered of microsoft i can learn about a new platform if it gives me all what i want.
if any one have an advice for me i will be thankful
What kinda games do you play on Windows?
Some Windows games are ported to run on GNU/Linux. Others aren't, but can sometimes (ie, not always) be run on either wine or cedega. Both are free software, but cedega has a subscription fee for the latest version. Cedega is better for running Direct3D games, and wine is better for running Windows applications.

Then, GNU/Linux has it's native games.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

haithamsaber

• Kudos: 10
nice information can you help me more?
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2005, 23:54 »
thanks piratepenguin  for your information i play all different kinds of games strategial like red alert & diaplo also 3d like delta force & counter & medal of honor i tried to run these games with linux live cd's but it didn't work is there a batch for these games to work with linux or is it a batch for the harware.
be ware iam still new in using gnu\linux

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
Re: nice information can you help me more?
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2005, 00:12 »
You can play America's Army. You should look into running Cedega if you want to run many games.
:)

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2005, 00:23 »
EDIT: Disregard this (Mod sorted it :)): (You posted a new thread rather than a new reply heh. I recommend you delete the other thread.)

Anyhow:
thanks piratepenguin for your information i play all different kinds of games strategial like red alert & diaplo also 3d like delta force & counter & medal of honor i tried to run these games with linux live cd's but it didn't work is there a batch for these games to work with linux or is it a batch for the harware.
 be ware iam still new in using gnu\linux
I don't know which live cds have wine/cedega installed (I think Knoppix has wine).
I suggest you install some easy-to-use GNU/Linux distribution (I recommend Mandriva) and dual-boot with Windows. Get used to GNU/Linux, then look at using it full-time (installing and getting-to-know cedega, and eventually removing Windows (w00t!)).
« Last Edit: 15 May 2005, 01:10 by piratePenguin »

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2005, 00:41 »
I have merged the threads :)

haithamsaber: Click this button to reply

Contains scenes of mild peril.

toadlife

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2005, 00:48 »
With Cedega, you have to pay to get easy access to it. Otherwise you have to download it via CVS and compile it from the source.

If you are new to linux you might have a little trouble with the CVS method. There is no hurt in trying it though.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2005, 01:07 »
Quote from: toadlife
With Cedega, you have to pay to get easy access to it. Otherwise you have to download it via CVS and compile it from the source.

If you are new to linux you might have a little trouble with the CVS method. There is no hurt in trying it though.
That's why I suggested he learns GNU/Linux first.
CVS cedega should suffice for most if not all of them games haithamsaber.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2005, 01:12 by piratePenguin »

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2005, 01:18 »

Anyone here ever actually tried to compile it from source?  I tried once (Back when it was still WineX), mostly because I was curious about how my favorite games would run under Linux.  I either couldn't compile it or couldnt' download it.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2005, 01:34 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
Anyone here ever actually tried to compile it from source? I tried once (Back when it was still WineX), mostly because I was curious about how my favorite games would run under Linux. I either couldn't compile it or couldnt' download it.
To be blunt, setting up a working copy of Cedega from CVS is hard. Really hard. There are tools out there to help you do it, but even then, if your system isn't perfectly set up for building Cedega, with all the right libraries and headers, there's a very good chance you're going to have trouble getting it to compile and run properly. Another difficulty with getting a CVS build set up is that it can be almost impossible to get the files from the TransGaming's CVS server. Demand on the server has increased so much recently that access had to be severely limited and it can an extended amount of retrying to actually get the source code from the server.
I actually got it to compile once before. Using a script that did all the work.

toadlife

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2005, 03:10 »
*Supposedly* it works for FreeBSD, but I've never been able to get it to compile either. I think these fuckheads at transgaming intentionlly break the source, or leave important components out of the source so that you have to buy their binaries.:mad:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2005, 14:34 »
*Supposedly* it works for FreeBSD, but I've never been able to get it to compile either. I think these fuckheads at transgaming intentionlly break the source, or leave important components out of the source so that you have to buy their binaries.:mad:
Yea I think that could be it. I also heard that their CVS cedega is a bit behind the-cedega-that-you-pay-for.