Author Topic: Hmm.. 'What's so bad about Windows XP?'  (Read 2760 times)

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Hmm.. 'What's so bad about Windows XP?'
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2002, 19:27 »
quote:
Activation-Suppose you are a pirate(so many windows users are), activation doesn't affect you.

Please, activation only hurts legitimate users, not pirates.  Pirates can just download the corp. edition without activation and use the Bluelist CD-key generator.  I did it and it was easy as pie.  On the other hand when I bought XP for the new computer I was building I installed it on my old computer as kind of a "test drive."  When I finally got all of the parts together and built my new PC, I uninstalled XP from the old computer and went to install it on the new one, but it wouldn't let me.  I had to "prove" to M$ first that I wasn't pirating their software.  I had to call tech support (wasting more of my time and money) and after being transferred around and given 32 different numbers to call I finally found someone who gave me a 40 digit code over the phone line that reset WPA on my copy of Windows.  Bleeagh.

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #16 on: 12 December 2002, 02:47 »
for me xp was slower, even after i setup* histerical laugh* xp to run as fast as it could. i did uninstall everything i could, including IE. funny thing tho xp said it wasnt on my hd but if i clicked a link in mirc, IE would open.* strange?*
i had to upgrade some hardware which is pure bs.
also i never trusted it.  how can you m$ has lied so many times about so many things. i am constantly looking for funerabilities on the net, even tho m$ say's everything's fine and safe.
i found win 2k is the same os but with less fluff.
after looking into various linux distro's ive found that all of win products are incredibly lacking in tools to use for the comp. oh as for stability, i need to reboot both 2k and xp all the time because of bad memory managemnt.
ive also found that my bandwidth in win. is 280KB down but in linux its 400KB.
also in the linux distro's ive found they were a breeze to install, with win. i have to have at least 3 cd's of drivers close by or im screwed.

just my opiions  :rolleyes:
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #17 on: 12 December 2002, 03:26 »
There are countless things wrong with Windows, like for instance:

1. Windows was, is and will remain closed source which in turn means that you have no real control over your OS eg you can't customize it and bring it closer to your needs.

2. Everything is integrated into the OS and I mean everything, from IE to MSN messenger and from Media Player to Movie Maker which leaves you with no fuckin choice at all. For example, what would you do if you were low on hard disk space but still wanted to install, let's say, another brower? The answer is nothing, since you can't remove IE or any other app that comes with Windows.

3. Lack of security. When you buy a Windows machine, you have to buy half of Symantec's or other vendors security software, just to feel that you're secure (which is most of the times just an illusion).

4. Lack of support. Bugs in Windows are usually patched months or even years after they are discovered (not by M$ most of the times).

5. Poorly-designed GUI, a cheap OS X rip-off.

6. Lack of stability, mostly due to the Explorer's integration with the OS and also from poorly-designed third-party drivers etc.

Those are only a few examples of why Windows sucks.    

smokey

« Reply #18 on: 13 December 2002, 18:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor V:
EJ asked a valid question and deserves an accurate response.

The first thing that really bugged me about XP was product activation.  I had a copy of win2K that could do everything XP could, but didn't require activation.  All XP offers over win2K is a flashy GUIDispite this, XP costs twice what win2K does.  Why would someone upgrade, what would the motivation be?  I couldn't think of a good reason at all to spend money for somehting that offers me almost nothing, and trys to limit what I do.  That is not innovation, that is abuse of monopoly powers, such a product would never have sold had M$ not already had 90%+ market share.

This web page describes what XP is all about in detail.  Its very good, if you have time, I suggest you take a look at it.

As far as the quality of OS goes.  XP is good compared to win98, but linux does beat it.  Linux runs faster and on computers with lower specs.  You have a helluva lot more control of the going ons with Linux than windowsXP.  While XP rarely crashes, it does crash, I've heard of it.  It also dosn't run well for a long period of time according to many.  Linux does not have these problems.  Linux is more secure, the list goes on.  I don't want to repeat whats been said above, but the points I have read are very valid.

V

Heh well not here (in AUS) where on average Windows 2000 costs $50 - $150 more than Windows XP Professional. Weird micro$$$ft marketing scheme.
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2002, 14:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Electric Jaguar:
I don't see what's wrong with my Windows XP Professional.  I've tweaked it and removed all spyware.  It *never* crashes on its own.  It is either some fault of my own or another program that crashes.  A fresh boot of Windows XP leaves a memory footprint of about 56000 KB.

So what's so bad about Windows XP?  I don't want to hear about what's so bad about Microsoft.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Electric Jaguar ]

[edit - title changed - You'll get more answers if you have descriptive titles - Calum]

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

Here is an idea. Later on, remove your network interface card from your Windows XP box, then start it up. Guess what, it now will not work. Then if you want XP to work again you must call up MS and ask permission. If it is 2 am when you do this, dont expect to have your computer working for another 6 hours.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

cocoamix

« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2002, 20:37 »
A large portion of us hate Microsoft because their software is shit. Another large portion of us hate M$ for their fucked-up business practices. For most of us though, its BOTH.

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2002, 21:39 »
What's so bad about WinXP?  Hmmmm, that's a tough one.  It's what finally pushed me to Linux.  Oh, wait, check out this poor bastard's lament from the WindowsBBS site.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12260

Yeah I still go there, occasionally try to give assistance, but mostly laugh at the poor lost windroids still stuck in windows hell. And since my advice is generally fixing Windows from DOS, I get a whole lot of "huh?'s" and "what?'s" and etc.

Poor lost little "point and clickers"....

Jim

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: DOSman ]

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #22 on: 18 December 2002, 01:40 »
Jeez, that's quite a story. That poor slob doesn't stand a chance.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #23 on: 18 December 2002, 06:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by HibbeeBoy:
Jeez, that's quite a story. That poor slob doesn't stand a chance.

My lord. I have never EVER had that sort of lack of control with my Mac in my entire life!

Come to think of it, now that I have been running my RedHat PC for a few weeks, i have never felt more IN controll.

Win98SE has fucked up over and over and over and over, and it's a reletively clean install. Pathetic...

Why can't Apple just make OS's, the world would be a much better place if all computers could run OSX and Darwin.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #24 on: 20 December 2002, 21:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Electric Jaguar:
I don't see what's wrong with my Windows XP Professional.  I've tweaked it and removed all spyware.  It *never* crashes on its own.  It is either some fault of my own or another program that crashes.  A fresh boot of Windows XP leaves a memory footprint of about 56000 KB.

So what's so bad about Windows XP?  I don't want to hear about what's so bad about Microsoft.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Electric Jaguar ]

[edit - title changed - You'll get more answers if you have descriptive titles - Calum]

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

If you dont think something is wrong, then why are you here?

If i bought a new stero, and i liked it. it's great with no problem. would i go out and find a website where people dont like it and tell them that mine is good and what's wrong with mine? I wouldn't. perhaps that's because i have more common sense than you, or perhaps you just need to find something to fulfill your lack of life by coming here.

I'm not meaning to insult you, i'm just trying to understand.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #25 on: 20 December 2002, 15:48 »
quote:
If you dont think something is wrong, then why are you here?
yeah! fuck off!    

quote:
I'm not meaning to insult you, i'm just trying to understand.

oh, uh... yeah, me neither, have a nice day!            

also:

quote:
What's so bad about WinXP? Hmmmm, that's a tough one. It's what finally pushed me to Linux. Oh, wait, check out this poor bastard's lament from the WindowsBBS site.

]http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12260

why does this guy persist? he seems sensible, but he continues to throw good money after bad for a problem that, lets face it, will never be fixed.

would somebody who actually posts on that board reply to him so he can come to this thread and see what we thing please?

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

xenochryst

« Reply #26 on: 20 December 2002, 23:07 »
[ they even made home suck more, it cant even run autocad decently. product activation. ]

I'm trying to learn all I can about this OS thing, but for the moment, I have a question about AutoCADD. I have the student edition and I just upgraded my computer to a P4. Someone told me AC was a memory hog but it seems to work more or less ok so far with this new machine. Anyway, to get to the point, would Linux run AC better? If so, how would someone as clueless about OS as I am go about learning enough to install and use it?

:confused:
My last known address was The Cliffs of Insanity (tm)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #27 on: 20 December 2002, 23:13 »
if it is distributed as a windows binary (most windows programs are, and i think *all* that cost money are) then it will not run on linux *at all* unless you use a dodgy third party conversion thing such as WINE or WINEX.

I don't know if linux binaries have been released. Maybe some other program has been released for linux that does the same job? If i were you i would start a new topic about this and ask people about it as this post is just going to get buried quickly.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

xenochryst

« Reply #28 on: 21 December 2002, 01:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
if it is distributed as a windows binary (most windows programs are, and i think *all* that cost money are) then it will not run on linux *at all* unless you use a dodgy third party conversion thing such as WINE or WINEX.

I don't know if linux binaries have been released. Maybe some other program has been released for linux that does the same job? If i were you i would start a new topic about this and ask people about it as this post is just going to get buried quickly.

OK, I'll do that. I appreciate the answer. I kinda figured that this was the case  :(
My last known address was The Cliffs of Insanity (tm)

Neuro7

« Reply #29 on: 25 December 2002, 04:56 »
If you have XP, and look around in the system files you will see that it actually says NT 5.1 Also, if you have XP when you are on the web, the information that the web sites that you visit see when you are connected show that you are using NT 5.1

Neuro7