Author Topic: Stuck in the Past  (Read 3219 times)

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
Re: Stuck in the Past
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2005, 00:33 »
These forums / this site is much more than a website/forum.
It is a community.

It isn't be any means a closed commmunity, nor is it s GNU/Linux-only community.
It is just a regular, friendly, community :P

I think I overused the word community, but it's true :)

As everyone above said - we have linux fanboys, windows fanboys, mac fanboys etc etc.
It's all good :P
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2005, 00:38 »
Quote from: skyman8081
And there is no balance anymore, all the mac heads were run out, and the GNUsaders have pretty much taken control.

I'm still here.  I'm not a GNU zealot.

Two things lower the quality of this site: lack of front page updates, and monthly, whiney tirades by administrators demanding some kind of magical reform that, if everyone only listens, will turn the site into a beautiful land of candy gumdrops, rainbows, and love.

Stop it.  It's a web forum.  People talk about their grievances with Microsoft here; alternatives, and perhaps let off steam.  If you're upset about lack of quality content, then write your own.  If you're upset that we attract teenagers with a "Windows sux0rs Linux 0wnz" attitude then harass Dheeraj to post some more up to date and intellectually stimulating content on the front page.

You went to a site named fuckmicrosoft.com and you expected what exactly?  Step by step tutorials on fixing Windows installations?

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2005, 00:43 »
Can't I delete my posts?
MOD: Delete this (now-)useless post, please :D
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2005, 00:44 »
Oh and skyman8081, you still haven't given any evidence to back up your claims (read links to offending threads/posts) there's a word for this and I've a feeling you and I both know what that word is. ;)
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2005, 00:48 »
Whats that, lazy apathetic fucker who doesn't give a shit?

If it's troll, who gave you the right to define troll?

My problem isn't with the members who are like that, its the mods who encourage that kind of ignorance and exclusivity.  The threads that I have issues with are in the mod forum, and not publically viewable, which is why I can't link you.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2005, 01:00 »
Whats that, lazy apathetic fucker who doesn't give a shit?

If it's troll, who gave you the right to define troll?

My problem isn't with the members who are like that, its the mods who encourage that kind of ignorance and exclusivity.  The threads that I have issues with are in the mod forum, and not publically viewable, which is why I can't link you.

Right we're getting somewhere now, if these threads are in the mod's forum then why did you post this in the public lounge?

Surely the mod's forum would've been a more sensible place, or am I just being silly? :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 16 May 2005, 01:31 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

skyman8081

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2005, 01:05 »
I did, but I felt that this is something that the public should know about, and why I am pissed at the forum.

Trying to get anything done here is like banging your head against a wall.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2005, 01:34 »
I think you're just going to have to accept that the majority is against you on this one and the way you've worded things hasn't helped your case. I can understand how you feel it's a bummer when you can't get your point across.

skyman8081

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2005, 01:41 »
The majority of the site is against keeping it to what it was founded upon?

I've been trying to make sure that the MES is a fair and open forum, where people could come and be helped in moving to alternatives.  This site has lost its purpose and focus, and history is repeating itself.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2005, 05:20 »
Quote from: bedouin
If you're upset that we attract teenagers with a "Windows sux0rs Linux 0wnz" attitude then harass Dheeraj to post some more up to date and intellectually stimulating content on the front page.

You've written stuff...send it to me, and I'll bug ComSense about it.  (I would guess him and Dheeraj are the same person)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2005, 09:41 »
I'd volunteer to write some content for you guys, too, but I'm afraid that'd be the biggest act of trolling ever. Writing pro-windows stuff to anti-microsoft site ;D

Anyway, about trolls. Due to the overall atmosphere here, not least because of the name of the site, it's practically impossible to hold intellectual opinions without being a troll of some kind. Isn't troll a kind of person that fishes for reactions, stirs emotions, someone who provokes? Well, the way it is, it looks like both the "microsuck" and "pro-windows" camps fit the definition here. As of such, the only non-troll content would be people who mindlessly agree that microsoft is bad, evil, and so on.

The True Believers for GNU are by definition trolls, because they're expressing their views on a site which is anti-microsoft. Thus, the context implies that the True Faith has nothing to do with GNU being good, it has everything to do with Microsoft being bad. Taking such a stance is not very constructive, and while you could have solid reasoning behind your opinions, around here you are not expected to need such.

The Happy Windows Users are also trolls by definition, again because they're expressing their views on a site which is anti-microsoft. In such a context, they're just here to disagree. No matter why they like Windows, touting their opinions in microsuck forums is like walking into a gay bar to discuss why hetero sex is so much better. You'll know beforehand that you're going to be opposed, and doing so would be like picking a fight.

So, how is it a surprise that such a site degenerates and becomes a nest for trolls? The main pages are full of conspiracy theories, "evidence" that microsoft is spawn of satan or worse, and a list of alternative operating systems as a some kind of "solution". It's obvious, however, that the list just tries to prove something without being an useful resource. The list doesn't have any target audience, and as of such doesn't really serve anyone either. Home users will be frustrated with zillions of choices that are not really choices at all. Embedded operating systems, systems for differnet hardware platforms, all sorts of non-practical stuff right there. Developers will be frustrated because even though there are some interesting development platforms among the list, you'd have to know about them to spot them from the crowd. The only people who benefit from the list, are people who want to say "see? there are alternatives". That's exactly what this site is about. A bunch of answers to questions that nobody bothered to define.

To develop a serious community here, you'd have to take a little bit more serious attitude about the content as well. Checking that the links still work would probably help, too ;)

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2005, 09:48 »
Quote from: muzzy
A bunch of answers to questions that nobody bothered to define.
[digression]
I R big comupter, me say answer is 42. Question? me dunno.

I need to go see the movie, I doubt it will be as good as the books [/digression]
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2005, 18:56 »
I don't see how this place has changed, if you ask me the answer is very little, just look at some of these old threads:
http://www.microsuck.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=8&page=1&pp=30&sort=lastpost&order=asc&daysprune=-1
http://www.microsuck.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=13&page=1&pp=30&sort=lastpost&order=asc&daysprune=-1

This one's very funny  :D

And if this place is full of open source fanboys and unreasonable MS haters then this thread would've been binned on sight.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2005, 19:25 »
It is stuck in the past. I still see people talking about BSODS. It's not 1999.... You don't get BSODs from explorer crashing or anything else. Only when there is a hardware problem.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2005, 19:35 »
The majority of the site is against keeping it to what it was founded upon?

I've been trying to make sure that the MES is a fair and open forum, where people could come and be helped in moving to alternatives.  This site has lost its purpose and focus, and history is repeating itself.

skyman,
If you look and the links in my previous post, then'll you'll that this forum still has the same values as it did when it started.

Edit:
The title of this thread is stuck in the past which implys that this forum hasn't changed. I agree, but the post I've quoted implys that the forum was better when it first started, which is confusing as this is a bitch tread about how this place is stuck in the past as if it's a bad thing.