Author Topic: Xbox 360 demos running on Macs  (Read 2211 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Xbox 360 demos running on Macs
« on: 23 May 2005, 17:04 »
Quote from: CNET News.com
"We purchased a number of Apple G5's because very specific hardware components of the G5 allow developers to emulate some of the technology behind future Xbox products and services," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement.

The new console from Microsoft is based on a similar IBM PowerPC architecture used in Apple computers--the Xbox 360 uses three 3.2GHz symmetrical cores, according to the company. Apple has been using PowerPC chips since 1994 and Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs has said the company is happy with IBM's PowerPC family of chips.

Microsoft recently switched processors from an Intel chip used in the first Xbox console to a custom Xbox processor based on Big Blue's Power technology in its new Xbox 360.

Read more.

And some people actually believe Macs aren't meant to be gamed on :rolleyes:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Xbox 360 demos running on Macs
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2005, 18:10 »
the Xbox 360 uses three 3.2GHz symmetrical cores
That has got to cost loads!
Jesus.

Unless I'm completely mistaken :confused:
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2005, 19:38 »
I bet the main reson for switching processor type if to stop people installing Linux on it.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2005, 20:13 »
You can install Linux on the PPC architecture dude. It will only be a matter of time before some geek decides that their new expensive 360 would be better served as a Linux box. I'd be stoked to see someone get OSX installed on it. Imagine that, cheap & powerful macs :)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2005, 20:18 »
I knew somene would say that.

Not if they keep the processor information secrete and only allow companies access to their compilar tools under a non-disclosure licence.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2005, 20:20 »
Does anyone have a clue how much it's gonna cost?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2005, 20:43 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I knew somene would say that.

Not if they keep the processor information secrete and only allow companies access to their compilar tools under a non-disclosure licence.

How is this possible?
Unless they (MS) are commisioning IBM or Motorola or whoever to create a completely new processor for them, there will have to be engineering documents for other OEM's available. The CPU would be a bloody expensive block of silicon without those!
Now I don't know, or particulaly care, about consoles enough to know if this core will be a completely new design or not but it would be economic stupidity if it is.

EDIT: I just read the thread :)
It seems it will be based on IBM 'Power', I doubt it will be significantly different in fabrication or instruction sets to the current Power (5 is it?). Again, unless MS are throwing huge wedge at IBM there will be no need to extensively modify the already kick-arse processor. I'm aware consoles are loss-leaders but I doubt even Microsoft would see the need to shell out for a clean sheet design CPU, solely to confubjulate any obcessive NetBSD porters :)

PS. If i'm talking crap tell me, you're the EEng dude :)
« Last Edit: 23 May 2005, 20:50 by KernelPanic »
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2005, 22:21 »
Now I've thought about it a bit more I feel a bit silly, you're right I should've known that. Oh well I'll try to learn to think before I open my big mouth.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2005, 00:34 by Aloone_Jonez »

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2005, 00:32 »
I think the processors used in the Xbox 360 will be very similar to the current G5, which is based on Power4. The next version of the G5 will probably be based on the Power5 archictecture, but we're still waiting. I also heard the processors used in the next Xbox will also be stripped down versions of the G5 so they can get higher GHz.

Will they be able to run Linux? Sure, this will not be a huge jump from processors already in use, a project will eventually come along to make it run (hey, Linux on the GameBoy DS already boots the 2.6 kernel).

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2005, 05:53 »
Theres so much crap, I had to get my waders.

The CPU in the 360 is a custom design based on the Power5 that MS owns.  The G5's are the closest commercially available chip on the market right now.

Microsoft make the mistake of licensing the chip designs from Intel and nVidia for the Xbox, and has not made the same mistake again.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2005, 21:24 »
Oh perhapps I was right first time, I suppose if they're making millions of these things then it would be worth it for them and they could make it bloody hard for people to compile Linux for it.

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2005, 02:50 »
beos could run on this because it can work on PPC archatechture.

it would be too fast.

Mr X

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2005, 11:03 »
stgkshgdrfishgdfsjhdfk;lsajhdfjhsadfh
« Last Edit: 26 May 2005, 21:18 by WMD »

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2005, 14:45 »
Actually the price should land around 300$. At least that's what I've been told.

Also, I think you can forget installing linux on it because the TCG protection is built in into the CPU instead of a separate chip on the motherboard like on the original XboX. If there still is someone who manages to make some kind of hardware hack I would definately buy one because that would result in a cheap high performing computer.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2005, 17:59 »
Quote from: RaZoR1394
Actually the price should land around 300$. At least that's what I've been told.

Also, I think you can forget installing linux on it because the TCG protection is built in into the CPU instead of a separate chip on the motherboard like on the original XboX. If there still is someone who manages to make some kind of hardware hack I would definately buy one because that would result in a cheap high performing computer.
If it's $300, I'd say it'd do pretty damn well.

Although, even if I could get a chip to make it run GNU/Linux, I would never buy the Xbox 360 because I've sworn to never give MS any of my money again :)