Author Topic: Xbox 360 demos running on Macs  (Read 2212 times)

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Re: Xbox 360 demos running on Macs
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2005, 19:39 »
Quote from: skyman8081
Theres so much crap, I had to get my waders.

The CPU in the 360 is a custom design based on the Power5 that MS owns.  The G5's are the closest commercially available chip on the market right now.

Microsoft make the mistake of licensing the chip designs from Intel and nVidia for the Xbox, and has not made the same mistake again.

We'll have to suck it and see, but, I think the modifications to POWER5 are going to be insubstantial (in CPU compatibility terms) due to the prohibitive cost and lack of necessity. I feel the biggest stubling block to a porter is more likely to be DRM malarky rather than the CPU.
I hope you don't think that I was implying Microsoft were going to use off-the-shelf G5's...  :rolleyes:

Also, are you trying to say that Microsoft own POWER5 or that they own the custom design? They certainly don't own POWER5.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2005, 20:42 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
If it's $300, I'd say it'd do pretty damn well.

Although, even if I could get a chip to make it run GNU/Linux, I would never buy the Xbox 360 because I've sworn to never give MS any of my money again :)

Well, you can always buy the PS3. Just check the graph below. It totally owns the XboX. Remember that these are individual processors. The XboX uses 3, the PS has 8 (7 in practical use). Though you'll have to wait to spring 2006 for the PS3 to appear on the market. I would gladly buy one because I'm getting pretty bored of ut2004 and doom3 (Cedega won't work).

Damn, check where the x86 (PC) is lying, lol. Is this really such big difference between PPC and x86?

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2005, 20:54 »
Quote from: RaZoR1394
Well, you can always buy the PS3. Just check the graph below. It totally owns the XboX. Remember that these are individual processors. The XboX uses 3, the PS has 8 (7 in practical use). Though you'll have to wait to spring 2006 for the PS3 to appear on the market. I would gladly buy one because I'm getting pretty bored of ut2004 and doom3 (Cedega won't work).

Damn, check where the x86 (PC) is lying, lol. Is this really such big difference between PPC and x86?
I'm not really big inta games, but if the PS3 can run GNU/Linux with kb + mouse and networking etc., I might buy one.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2005, 22:49 »
Sorry for my n00bity, but what does the graph mean?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2005, 23:31 »
The graph shows the number of floating piont claculations the processor can perform in a second basically it's number crunching capability.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2005, 01:48 »
And don't forget, IBM is going to have open specifications for the Cell processor, so maybe we will have Linux sooner on the PS3 than XBox.

And the Xbox processor will be bassed on the Power5? Come on Apple, bring me my dual-core G6!

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2005, 21:19 »
Hmm... but how does the processor achieve this, having the same frequency (3200MHz)? Is it just more bits at a time, or is there another factor?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2005, 22:06 »
There are many other factors that deturmine the speed of a processor like cache, bus width ect.

Here are some articles you might find usefull.
Basic definition of Microprocessor
How Microprocessors Work
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2005, 12:42 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I'm not really big inta games, but if the PS3 can run GNU/Linux with kb + mouse and networking etc., I might buy one.

Guess It's your lucky day.

Quote from: "Gamesarefun"

Recently Ken Kutaragi had an interview with PC Watch, in which he disclosed a few more PS3 details, specifically details surrounding the Cell processor and HDD.

In the interview, Kutaragi states that the PS3 will not ship with an installed HDD, because no matter how large it is, it won't be enough. It would seem, however, that the PS3 will come with a drive bay large enough to support more than one HDD. Kutaragi used an 80gb and 120gb HDD as example, but he also stated that this still wouldn't be enough.

Additionally, Kutaragi further emphasizes that he does not want the PlayStation 3 to be referred to as a toy, or a computer. The PS3 is an entertainment supercomputer. To help get this point across, Kutaragi wants the PS3 HDD to come pre-installed with Linux. Kutaragi also boasts that the PS3's Cell chip will be able to run various PC applications such as video and photo editing software. In fact, he believes that they would run better on the PS3, thanks to the Cell chip's advanced technology.

Of course, with all this great and wonderful technology, time is required to get everything straight. It seems that currently more than 100 PS3 development kits have been distributed by Sony, but they are running out of parts to produce more. This is not the first time Sony has encountered this problem, as dev kits were also in short supply during early PSP development.

I'm getting one for sure. I've also read a lot of tech specs so I'm leaning towards a PS3. I also don't feel like adding money into MS pocket as someone else said. Screw Xbox360!!!:fu: