Author Topic: Windows not ready for the desktop YET  (Read 2993 times)

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
Windows not ready for the desktop YET
« on: 28 May 2005, 12:23 »
Check THIS article.

[size=-1] Every year or so I like to see how Microsoft is doing in its attempt to make a desktop operating system as usable as Linux. Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, with Service Pack 2, is a tremendous improvement over previous Windows versions when it comes to stability and appearance, but it still has many glitches that keep it from being competitive with GNU/Linux for everyday users, including a tedious installation procedure, lack of productivity software included with the operating system, hardware compatibility problems, and a price so much higher than any of the Linux distributions I've tested lately that I don't feel this product is a good value for most home or small office users
[/size]
It's mainly meant as I joke I think but It's hilarious :D. He's very right about KDE and Gnome as they are indeed much more userfriendly and functional.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2005, 12:32 by RaZoR1394 »

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
Re: Windows not ready for the desktop YET
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2005, 16:27 »
Ha ha!!! One of the best I've read lately. I immediately spammed all my friends with the link...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2005, 18:41 »
i don't really see how it's a joke. is its "joke" status supposed to imply that windows *is* ready for desktop use, to a higher degree than many linux distros?
« Last Edit: 28 May 2005, 18:41 by Calum »
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

RaZoR1394

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2005, 20:14 »
No I totally agree with his points + that Windows is less userfriendly. It's just the way he has wroten the article
« Last Edit: 28 May 2005, 20:19 by RaZoR1394 »

Jenda

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2005, 00:45 »
Exactly. Although it is very funny, it is still saying the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I will definitely force my to-be converts to read this one.
The only part where he "gives away" the humorous nature of the article is:
[size=-1]
It's possible that the monitor manufacturers aren't willing to give Microsoft and other proprietary operating system companies the information they need to create appropriate drivers and that the manufacturers, not Microsoft, deserve the blame for this problem.
This is a typical anti-/pro-Linux argument. He switched it around, although it makes very little sense this way.
[/size]

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2005, 04:25 »
Well unfortunelaty I've decided to take this article seriously. :D

I agree that KDE has a better user interface than Windows but:

I've had more problems with hadware support in Linux than Windows (graphics card, scanner winmodem) yes I've tried the drivers I've found on the internet.

I didn't need to install Windows as it came with my PC so the installation wasn't an issue.

The reason I use Windows is because it runs propietry software I need for work for which there is no Linux alternative and Wine won't run it either.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

RaZoR1394

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2005, 12:56 »
Aloone_Jonez - I have several computers with very different configurations and all have gotten perfect driver support after som tweaking and fixing. The good thing about Linux is that the drivers are implemented inside the kernel (inbuilt) or as an external module. The kernel also has support for most of todays available devices.

Well, still the ATI drivers lack performance and features but that will be fixed later on.

In Windows you need to load up the disc from the manufacturer or download the driver separately from the web. Sometimes you may have lost the disc or the drivers on it may be very old.

A good example is the Microsoft joysticks and gamepads. Some won't even work anymore with the provided drivers if you use XP as they have ended the support for them, at least not the special features. In linux they work fine after tweaking some configs and loading the proper drivers.

Also, in Windows one of my computers has a bluetooth antenna which requires an extra license. The funny thing is that the company Widcomm doesn't supply the license anymore. The unit availability also fades away from time to time (system properties). In Linux there is no need for stupid licenses, just compile the chipset driver into the kernel and you're go. My bluetooth dongle works perfectly now and it doesn't disappear like it did in Windows.

Then we have the SATA drivers and RAID controllers... On one of my computers It's impossible as I refuse to put a 3.5 floppy in the bay. Instead I use a card reader... Sure, you can slipstream it with nLite but that's a lot of hassle, at least with these drivers.

Except that most drivers already present on the Windows disc are outdated or not compatible so you'll often have to upgrade them anyway. Imagine living on the countryside without an internet connection. In your left hand you have a Gentoo universal 2005.0 livecd with updated drivers for 90% of your devices. In your other hand you have a WinXP CD which covers drivers with good functionality for about 30% of your devices. Which would you choose?

So... Personally I've only had bad experiences with Windows drivers and how It's driver system works. Maybe you have some very rare hardware or maybe a laptop with a mobility chipset or something similar?

About proprietary Windows softare. Yes some apps that won't run in Wine is a pain in the ass. Personally I use a lot of Architectural desktop 2005 and that works perfectly in VMware. I think It's worth it.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2005, 13:05 by RaZoR1394 »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2005, 16:03 »
Quote from: RaZoR1394
Aloone_Jonez - I have several computers with very different configurations and all have gotten perfect driver support after som tweaking and fixing.

My pro savage video card is slow under Linux, my leximark printer/scanner prints slowly and won't scan, my winmodem has a driver but it only works with the 2.4.x kernel. Yes I have downloaded and installed the relevant drivers.

The good thing about Linux is that the drivers are implemented inside the kernel (inbuilt)

I fail to see the advantage here, a kernel with lots of drivers suitable to run on a wide selection of hardware will be big, slow and bloated. It's very stupid how you need to recompile the kernel to add NTFS support.

or as an external module. The kernel also has support for most of todays available devices.

That's a far better option, use a mimium kernel and load the drivers for aditional hardware support - like it should be.

Well, still the ATI drivers lack performance and features but that will be fixed later on.

Just like my pro savage card. :)

In Windows you need to load up the disc from the manufacturer or download the driver separately from the web. Sometimes you may have lost the disc or the drivers on it may be very old.

In general a decient product comes with good drivers, my Leximark printer scanner came with very good drivers and a great OCR too.

A good example is the Microsoft joysticks and gamepads. Some won't even work anymore with the provided drivers if you use XP as they have ended the support for them, at least not the special features. In linux they work fine after tweaking some configs and loading the proper drivers.

However my Cannon LBP-660 printer doesn't have a driver designed for NT5.1 (Windows XP) but I rung up support and they suggested using an old driver (NT4 I I think) and it works a treat.

What the fuck? Linux won't let me use a Winmodem driver designed for the 2.4.x kernel on the 2.6.x kernel even though it's been compiled, while Windows will allow me to use an old NT4 driver binary!

Also, in Windows one of my computers has a bluetooth antenna which requires an extra license. The funny thing is that the company Widcomm doesn't supply the license anymore. The unit availability also fades away from time to time (system properties). In Linux there is no need for stupid licenses, just compile the chipset driver into the kernel and you're go. My bluetooth dongle works perfectly now and it doesn't disappear like it did in Windows.

I can't disagree with you here licensing is not a pgood old GPL.

Then we have the SATA drivers and RAID controllers... On one of my computers It's impossible as I refuse to put a 3.5 floppy in the bay. Instead I use a card reader... Sure, you can slipstream it with nLite but that's a lot of hassle, at least with these drivers.

Except that most drivers already present on the Windows disc are outdated or not compatible so you'll often have to upgrade them anyway. Imagine living on the countryside without an internet connection. In your left hand you have a Gentoo universal 2005.0 livecd with updated drivers for 90% of your devices. In your other hand you have a WinXP CD which covers drivers with good functionality for about 30% of your devices. Which would you choose?

It simply isn't fair to compare a Windows XP CD made in 2003 and a live Linux CD made in 2005. I personally don't expect the operating system to come with any drivers except for the generic ones required to boot up and install it. Drivers as far as I'm concerned are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer this is why I don't blame driver problems on Windows or Linux.

So... Personally I've only had bad experiences with Windows drivers and how It's driver system works. Maybe you have some very rare hardware or maybe a laptop with a mobility chipset or something similar?

Our personal experiances will vary, there's really no point in argueing about them. I've only had one problem with Windows XP it used to hang up when going to the screensaver but this was fixed by altering the power saving monitor configureation.

About proprietary Windows softare. Yes some apps that won't run in Wine is a pain in the ass. Personally I use a lot of Architectural desktop 2005 and that works perfectly in VMware. I think It's worth it.

Lot's of prorams are unstable under WINE if they work at all, Protel, Electronics Work bench and Crocadile Clips all don't work and there are no decent Linux alternatives. To run Windows programs under VMWARE don't you need Windows anyway?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2005, 16:35 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
What the fuck? Linux won't let me use a Winmodem driver designed for the 2.4.x kernel on the 2.6.x kernel even though it's been compiled, while Windows will allow me to use an old NT4 driver binary!
I'm using the 2.4 kernel and have no intention of switching to 2.6 for a while. 2.6.11.11, yuck. No worries with 2.4. Update the kernel less, and everything's working fine for me.
Consider the whole compiling-the-kernel thing an extra bonus, something you won't get on Windows. The 2.6.11.11 kernel is, ahem, 2 days old.
The 2.4.30 kernel isn't even 2 months old. It works. Use it.
It simply isn't fair to compare a Windows XP CD made in 2003 and a live Linux CD made in 2005.
It's MS's latest home release versus Gentoo's latest release. Seems fair to me.
I personally don't expect the operating system to come with any drivers except for the generic ones required to boot up and install it. Drivers as far as I'm concerned are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer this is why I don't blame driver problems on Windows or Linux.
I agree - so you can blame the manufacturers for not giving GNU/Linux the support it deserves.
Even if they released the Windows drivers under a free software licence, they'd be ported pretty damn fast.
Lot's of prorams are unstable under WINE if they work at all, Protel, Electronics Work bench and Crocadile Clips all don't work and there are no decent Linux alternatives. To run Windows programs under VMWARE don't you need Windows anyway?
I have no clue about VmWare.
Windows will run programs that are designed to run on Windows.
GNU/Linux will run programs that are designed to run on GNU/Linux.
Wine is, another, extra bonus.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2005, 17:04 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jenda

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2005, 17:00 »
2.6.11.11 kernel is, ahem, 2 days old.
The 2.4.30 kernel is almost 2 months old. It works. Use it.

And the windoesn't kernel is...?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2005, 17:03 »
Quote from: Jenda
I have no idea, that's why I didn't mention it. I'd say they update it with Windows Update, but I dunno.

EDIT: I edited that part of my previous post...
"isn't even" is probably better.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

RaZoR1394

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2005, 23:13 »
My pro savage video card is slow under Linux, my leximark printer/scanner prints slowly and won't scan, my winmodem has a driver but it only works with the 2.4.x kernel. Yes I have downloaded and installed the relevant drivers.  I fail to see the advantage here, a kernel with lots of drivers suitable to run on a wide selection of hardware will be big, slow and bloated. It's very stupid how you need to recompile the kernel to add NTFS support.
 You will see the advantage when you compile a kernel that only contains what you need. I didn't say that the compiled kernel should contain all options available in the "make menuconfig". And why should NTFS be enabled as default in the kernel? The filesystem is a Windows one and should be considered a bonus. Also, many desktop distros already have support for ntfs. Servers which is where Linux is used most don't have any use for ntfs. at least not most of them. They probably use ext3, jfs, xfs, reiserfs or reiser4.  My main argument is that you get all your drivers you need with one cd, not 10 or 20. They are also up to date and should work better with the current software. I personally hate to install all drivers after a reformat as I have a lot of controllers, other peripherals and so on. It just isn't effective.  
In general a decient product comes with good drivers, my Leximark printer scanner came with very good drivers and a great OCR too.
 That's true. I have a high end HP printer and it works fine with the CD driver in Windows, but you still need the disc or an internet connection to get a new one with bugfixes. I use DSL but I think it would be rather crappy to have for ex a 56k connection and download a 150mb driver package (audigy for ex) because of the CD being lost. I've read and heard a lot about this problem before, where the customers had to pay 10$ to get a new driver cd.  Think off needing to get a school work done on a Windows machine... You have no drivers installed for the printer and the disc is somehow bad and your internet connection is down. All you have is the Windows disc.  
However my Cannon LBP-660 printer doesn't have a driver designed for NT5.1 (Windows XP) but I rung up support and they suggested using an old driver (NT4 I I think) and it works a treat.
 Yes, but that's because Canon is "alive". Many manufacturers end support for certain units and devices which get the customers left in dark like with my bluetooth dongle and probably like 5 gaming units.  
It simply isn't fair to compare a Windows XP CD made in 2003 and a live Linux CD made in 2005. I personally don't expect the operating system to come with any drivers except for the generic ones required to boot up and install it. Drivers as far as I'm concerned are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer this is why I don't blame driver problems on Windows or Linux.
 Yes It's fair because I'm referring to a XP SP2 cd, and It's nearly still the same regarding driver support as it was with original XP and SP1. Hardware manufacturers are the ones who have the best specifications of their stuff but I think they should collaborate more with open source developers so that it will be possible to integrate the drivers into the kernel.  
Our personal experiances will vary, there's really no point in argueing about them. I've only had one problem with Windows XP it used to hang up when going to the screensaver but this was fixed by altering the power saving monitor configureation.
 Well, I was mainly thinking about the driver model in the two OS,s .  
 Yes but you don't need to dualboot and you're able to enter the system pretty fast. It's not so bad really because you'll only use it when you'll need those "special" apps. I'm currently running XP SP2 in the virtual machine but If I want I could just put a Longhorn beta/alpha on it as I don't have to get scared about the system going down because the alpha/beta state. Soon I'll put OSX 10.4 under Pearpc which is available under linux. Will be pretty cool to experiment with.  
Quote from: "PiratePenguin"
I'm using the 2.4 kernel and have no intention of switching to 2.6 for a while. 2.6.11.11, yuck. No worries with 2.4. Update the kernel less, and everything's working fine for me. Consider the whole compiling-the-kernel thing an extra bonus, something you won't get on Windows. The 2.6.11.11 kernel is, ahem, 2 days old. The 2.4.30 kernel isn't even 2 months old. It works. Use it.
 Yes I've heard about that but I don't understand why really. The 2.6 kernel is extremely stable at least for heavy gaming usage and heavy gcc compiling + some video rendering without any hitches. The 2.6 kernel is also much faster.  
Quote from: "Jenda"
 Whoosh. OLD!! I haven't seen many kernel upgrades on Windows update or in the patches for a long time. It's mostly small fixes which probably are for modules anyway.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2005, 23:23 by RaZoR1394 »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2005, 12:35 »
You will see the advantage when you compile a kernel that only contains what you need. I didn't say that the compiled kernel should contain all options available in the "make menuconfig".

Of course being able to compile the kernel yourself is an advantage but my point was all drivers (except the ones need to boot) should be external to the kernel. For example if the kernel should only have ext3 driver (or wharever file system you use) built in so all the other drivers can be loaded. This would save resources because when I'm not reading my ntfs or FAT32 drive the driver doesn't need to be in memory.

And why should NTFS be enabled as default in the kernel? The filesystem is a Windows one and should be considered a bonus.

Yes, it is a bonus but that wasn't my point.

Also, many desktop distros already have support for ntfs. Servers which is where Linux is used most don't have any use for ntfs. at least not most of them.

Redhat doesn't, but it would be better if you could just download and compile another module that can be loaded on demand to read the ntfs drive instead of bloating up the kernel.

They probably use ext3, jfs, xfs, reiserfs or reiser4.

This Linux ntfs driver is pretty shitty as it only really supports read only access. I'm not makeing a point here because ntfs is Windows not Linux and read only access is good enough anyway.

Oh sorry I do have a point, the Linux ntfs driver isn't as good as the Windows driver because the people who wrote it did so by a process of reverse engineering - similar to how most Linux drivers are written.

My main argument is that you get all your drivers you need with one cd, not 10 or 20. They are also up to date and should work better with the current software.

Sorry, while they may be anough to get your system booted   no Linux distribution has contained drivers for my printer/scanner, winmodem, and the graphics card driver is always slow.

I personally hate to install all drivers after a reformat

I thought Linux was supposed to be so stable a reformat is rarely needed. :D

as I have a lot of controllers, other peripherals and so on. It just isn't effective.    That's true. I have a high end HP printer and it works fine with the CD driver in Windows, but you still need the disc

The disc that came with the printer?
You should just keep this in a safe place with the printer manual warranty ect.

or an internet connection to get a new one with bugfixes. I use DSL but I think it would be rather crappy to have for ex a 56k connection and download a 150mb driver package (audigy for ex)

I only have a 56k connection and the printer driver was well under 1MB.

because of the CD being lost.

That's your fault for loosing it, you should keep it in a safe place. :D

I've read and heard a lot about this problem before, where the customers had to pay 10$ to get a new driver cd.

If they kept in in a safe place they wouldn't have this problem and all they need to do is download a small file from the internet anyway.

Think off needing to get a school work done on a Windows machine... You have no drivers installed for the printer and the disc is somehow bad and your internet connection is down. All you have is the Windows disc.

Or you could be in an even same position on a Linux machine, but even worse the printer driver you require simply doesn't exist. This wouln't bother me either way as I would just take the work to school on a disc.

Yes, but that's because Canon is "alive".

Canon could've been dead and it wouln't have made any difference the driver I use on Windows XP (NT5.1) was designed for NT4 which is very old. The only way Canon being alive has benifited is I could ring the support, but I could've found this information on the Intenet anyway.

Many manufacturers end support for certain units and devices which get the customers left in dark like with my bluetooth dongle and probably like 5 gaming units.

I can see how this could be a problem, the only possible advantage of hacker-written drivers is that manufacturer support is not needed to obtain the drivers.

Yes It's fair because I'm referring to a XP SP2 cd, and It's nearly still the same regarding driver support as it was with original XP and SP1.

Ok fair enough but lets not blame the operating system for driver problems as it's the manufacturer's fault.

Hardware manufacturers are the ones who have the best specifications of their stuff but I think they should collaborate more with open source developers

Yes I agree, the problem is manufacturers ofen want to keep their trade secretes - something not compatable with open source software.

so that it will be possible to integrate the drivers into the kernel.

And make it bloated?
No it'd be better to keep them separate and load them when they're needed.

Well, I was mainly thinking about the driver model in the two OS,s .

I'd say the Windows driver model is better for the same reason the Mac model is better than Linux because the manufacturers support them something that Linux just can't help.

Yes but you don't need to dualboot and you're able to enter the system pretty fast. It's not so bad really because you'll only use it when you'll need those "special" apps. I'm currently running XP SP2 in the virtual machine

Now that is a very good idea, I think I'll need to upgrade though, while 256MB of RAM might be good enough for what I currently use my PC for I'll need more to fit two operating systems in memory but it might just be worth it.

but If I want I could just put a Longhorn beta/alpha on it as I don't have to get scared about the system going down because the alpha/beta state. Soon I'll put OSX 10.4 under Pearpc which is available under linux. Will be pretty cool to experiment with.     Yes I've heard about that but I don't understand why really. The 2.6 kernel is extremely stable at least for heavy gaming usage and heavy gcc compiling + some video rendering without any hitches. The 2.6 kernel is also much faster.

All I was saying was that it seems strange a Windows driver binary compiled for a very old kernel works on the most recent kernel and a Linux driver designed for a very slightly older kernel won't work even though it's compiled from source.

Maybe I'll go back to the slightly older 2.4.x kernel the next time I can be bothered to install Linux.

Whoosh. OLD!! I haven't seen many kernel upgrades on Windows update or in the patches for a long time. It's mostly small fixes which probably are for modules anyway.

Yes it is a bit old, Windows 2000 was NT 5.0 and Windows XP sp2 is NT 5.1.26 - only a minor update which really takes this piss if you ask me. You pay though the nose for just a minor update with Microsoft software.

The kernel isn't the bad part of Windows anyway I think Cutler did a very good job. The bad part of Windows is all the other shit that's wrapped around the kernel.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2005, 15:23 »
Ok fair enough but lets not blame the operating system for driver problems as it's the manufacturer's fault.
So WTH are ye going on about?

Manufacturers aren't giving GNU/Linux the support it deserves, they're giving Windows and Mac OS X too much support.
The Linux kernel could be fcking perfect and the manufacturers still wouldn't support it.
When enough people start using it, the manufacturers will start supporting GNU/Linux properly (assuming they're not under a don't-support-GNU/Linux contract by MS or someone), then you can look forward to having your printer print properly, your scanner scan, and your graphics card work, Aloone.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2005, 16:19 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
So WTH are ye going on about?

I'm saying you shouldn't blame driver problems on the operating system whether it be Windows, Linux or Mac OS. You should blame the hardware manfacturers, I suppose you could with Mac OS but that'd only be the case for Mac hardware.

Manufacturers aren't giving GNU/Linux the support it deserves, they're giving Windows and Mac OS X too much support.

Well I wouldn't say that, I'd say they should give Linux the same level of support as Windows & Mac OS.

The Linux kernel could be fcking perfect and the manufacturers still wouldn't support it.
When enough people start using it, the manufacturers will start supporting GNU/Linux properly (assuming they're not under a don't-support-GNU/Linux contract by MS or someone), then you can look forward to having your printer print properly, your scanner scan, and your graphics card work, Aloone.
In my opinion Linux has been stuck in a vicious circle for quite some time, here's my reasoning:

Lots of people,  organizations and businesses don't use Linux because it doesn't fully support their hardware or they rely on a piece of proprietary software for which there is no Linux equivalent.

Manufacturers don't make Linux drivers and software vendors don't release Linux versions which isn't helped by the fact that many Linux users are GPL fanboys who hate proprietary software.

These two factors feed of each other and are alone strong enough to stop Linux from becoming the main operating system for quite some time if ever and this will be the same for any other free operating system.

Don't worry though I working getting Linux to do what I want even if just on an old PC.