Author Topic: Longhorn?  (Read 4537 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Longhorn?
« on: 2 June 2005, 22:00 »
What is going on with longhorn, is this finally going to be a stable OS from M$
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Longhorn?
« Reply #1 on: 2 June 2005, 22:13 »
Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head

Just think of it as Windows XP SP4...

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 2 June 2005, 22:21 »
umm.. SP4? You mean sp3?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 2 June 2005, 22:24 »
Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head

That was Windows 2000.

I agree with piratePenguin Widnows XP was only a very minor update to Windows 2000 and Lonhorn will be what XP was to Windows 2000.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 2 June 2005, 22:26 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
umm.. SP4? You mean sp3?

It's most likely that Microsoft will at least release SP3 before Longhorn.
Just to hype some of the new features of Longhorn, which some are already in SP3, crippled of course.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 2 June 2005, 22:45 »
At least this support athlon and P4 chips compared to Starte Edition
sig.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #6 on: 3 June 2005, 02:12 »
I was very interested in Longhorn when they first announced it. Sounded like they were going to do a lot of cool things with it, and introduce a lot of cool tools and functionality. Over the last 3 years or so, it seems that they just kept pushing the release date up, while removing all the good stuff that made me interested in the first place. Longhorn will be crap IMO. XP with a new interface and higher system requirements.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #7 on: 3 June 2005, 03:29 »
One of the things I find interesting about Longhorn is that they're really trying to go where OS X was heading 5 years ago.  Mac users experienced the shock of moving from something relatively lightweight like OS 9 to OS X, and the related hardware sluggishness associated with it five years ago.  When Jaguar hit things started to actually feel 'right.'  OS X has progressively ran better on older hardware, and one can expect even 5 year old machines to be in service a few more years, since Apple is still manufacturing machines running at 1.2ghz (the minis).

Apple was able to harness the latest technologies and still make a pleasurable experience on even meager hardware.  2 years from now OS X is probably still going to be acceptable on an 800mhz machine; meanwhile Longhorn will require what, a 3ghz CPU, and 128mb graphics card?  PC components may be cheaper, but if one is going to run Windows on them, expect a much more frequent update cycle, since Microsoft needs to please hardware manufactures and help them sell more products.

From what I've seen of Longhorn so far it reminds me very much of the car Homer designed and had his brother Herb produce: tacky nonsense.  I'm hoping Longhorn finally puts a nail in the Windows coffin, causing people to look at other alternatives to keep their machines up to date.  Computing has really reached the point where one can easily say, "1gz is good enough for almost anyone."  If you're running a sensible OS, not dictated by corporate pressure to sell more hardware -- such as Linux, I see no reason one couldn't keep a machine in service for ten years -- or longer.  This is the reality Microsoft is going to have to face, so expect their lock-in tactics to become much more fierce.  The relevancy of the traditional OS maker is diminishing quickly.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 3 June 2005, 03:31 »
Like the only new feature is the new improved file veiwing stuff. Will this mean i won't be able to run lobghorn on my main gaming machine w/ a 1.466 GHz AMD Athlon XP
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 3 June 2005, 06:51 »
I'd say it probably will run on that machine (as long as you have a good (512mb, I'd say) bit of RAM too), but I wouldn't even try it (it'd be slow, probably). Better off staying on 2000/XP, or looking to alternatives (which I hope some more people will do).

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
« Reply #10 on: 3 June 2005, 14:03 »
Longhorn will definitely be more stable than XP. If you look at the WDC Longhorn presentations where they compare XP to Longhorn you will understand why. There will be a lot of changes to the GUI, network systems, programming abilities etc. Still there won't be much difference all-in-all. The operating system will also use NGSCB so I wouldn't touch it even with a claw. Except that Longhorn will probably use a lot more resources than XP. Gentoo works fine for me and I'm not forced to upgrade hardware.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 3 June 2005, 15:22 »
Quote from: bedouin
I'm hoping Longhorn finally puts a nail in the Windows coffin, causing people to look at other alternatives to keep their machines up to date.

Sadly most people won't bother, they'll either be pushed into Longhorn or just stick with XP, both my work and college have stuck with Windows 2000.

Computing has really reached the point where one can easily say, "1gz is good enough for almost anyone."  If you're running a sensible OS, not dictated by corporate pressure to sell more hardware

I agree.

-- such as Linux, I see no reason one couldn't keep a machine in service for ten years -- or longer.

I'd like to see someone try to install a modern  graphical distribution of Linux on hardware 10 years old. :D

This is the reality Microsoft is going to have to face, so expect their lock-in tactics to become much more fierce.  The relevancy of the traditional OS maker is diminishing quickly.

I think Microsoft are going to find it increasingly difficult to sell their new operating systems. Windows 2000 has been so stable compared to their 9x/ME series that lots of people and organizations are happy with it and have decided against XP.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: 3 June 2005, 20:19 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I'd like to see someone try to install a modern  graphical distribution of Linux on hardware 10 years old. :D
Last year, I installed Mandrake 10.0 Community onto our abandoned ~10 year old computer. It worked pretty good, well, better, and faster than Windows 98 did on the same computer. Although, I must admit, there was quite alot of RAM in that computer (I took I think 128mb from our Gateway computer).

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 3 June 2005, 21:36 »
Lot's of old machines are fine after a RAM upgrade, what processor was it?

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 3 June 2005, 21:40 »
I managed to get suse 9.1 Free edition to run on my brothers old PC with 96 MB of SIMM ram, K-6 233 MHz, and a Hercules 3D Prophet 4000 XT PCI. For some reason win XP is running faster on his machine that Suse did.

Also i got 768 MB of PC2100 Ram, so i might be able to run longhorn without MUCH lag. Anyways there is always overclocking
sig.