Author Topic: Longhorn?  (Read 4538 times)

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Re: Longhorn?
« Reply #45 on: 7 June 2005, 13:26 »
Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head
i got XP to run pretty good on my brothers old K-6 233 MHz w/512 KB L-2 cache, 96 MB of SIMM ram. It actually booted faster than my old P3 800 MHz with win98 with 300 MB ram. I got win95 to run good on a Pentium 100 with 16 MB of ram, same with win98,

Why do I doubt this?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #46 on: 7 June 2005, 19:05 »
it was 320 MB or ram and it was a dell Demension L800r. Now my brother's pc has 128 MB ram. Anyways the Dell's HD was kind of cheap.It is dead now
sig.

Kjartan

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #47 on: 11 June 2005, 12:24 »
SuSe quick? BwAHAHAH!
SuSe has got to be the most CPU/RAM hogging distro I have come across. We have a family machine, 400mhz +/- 128mb ram I think. And it ... well it didn't. It took ages to boot and even to log in. Slackware was a dream however, went like a crazy train (on tracks). :)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #48 on: 11 June 2005, 20:54 »
SuSE a hog?  Hmmm.  I did an FTP install of 9.2 onto an Athlon XP 2000+ with 128MB (120MB really, shared video)...the CPU is good but that ram isn't...but it was still fast.  The hard drive churned sometimes but it wasn't bad at all.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #49 on: 11 June 2005, 21:13 »
I tried SuSE personal edition (can't remember the version. It was about 6 months ago) on my XP Athlon 2400+, 256mb ram, and it was pretty slow. Mandrake was better on the same machine.
SuSE seems like, all bloated up ...

And it didn't have gcc either, so I couldn't compile isdn4k-utils to get on the net (and couldn't download the binaries either) :( So I went back to slack!
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #50 on: 11 June 2005, 22:59 »
Ah well, I first ran Windows 2000 Professional on a computer with these specs :

AMD Athlon K6-2 450MHz
128mb RAM (not DDR)
3DFX Voodoo Banshee
Creative Soundblaster PCI 128
8gb Hard Disc

This computer ran great for years, I spent most of my gaming days on this machine.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #51 on: 12 June 2005, 01:39 »
My brother was running 2000 Pro on a 6 GB HD, K-6 233 MHz, Analog Devices AD1816 Sound card, Trident 9680 @ MB video card. Now he has XP home
sig.