Author Topic: Ubuntu Installation Woes  (Read 2500 times)

1mck

• Kudos: 0
Re: Ubuntu Installation Woes
« Reply #15 on: 6 June 2005, 07:25 »
Fuck!!! I followed all the instructions of "fixmbr", and then I used Partition Magic to delete everything on my other drive, and I installed Mandrake, and when I rebooted...It was just Windoze. I'm really at a loss here as to why Xandros will work flawlessly, and everything else seems to be non-effective, or it will screw up. I even tried following the same instructions for Ubuntu, and it had the same effect as everything else. Man, is this frustrating, but as one of you pointed out to me a long time ago is that this is where all the "real" learning takes place.

1mck

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #16 on: 6 June 2005, 07:34 »
Remove your Mandrake partitions again with Partition Magic.  Then, install it again, but when you get to the summary screen at the end, pay close attention to what the bootloader part says.  You may have to change the setting.  (Point it at the drive where Windows is installed.)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

1mck

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: 8 June 2005, 13:23 »
Hey, I've had it with Mandrake, so I'm going to try that Vector Linux. I'm downloading V5 SOHO, and hopefully I won't have any problems with this one as well.

I followed all the instructions that you guys gave me: I first did a fixmbr, and then I deleted everything with Partition Magic, and I'm downloading Vector Linux as I'm writing this. So, LILO is not on the computer, and the drive is blank...is there anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks all for the help thus far.

1mck