Author Topic: Stupid Hardware Requirement  (Read 1684 times)

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
Stupid Hardware Requirement
« on: 17 August 2004, 08:29 »
I downloaded a ISO image witch came with an EXE extention on the end.    :rolleyes:    When I  saw this I thought "No problem, I'll rename the exe extention to an ISO file. Well, it was not this easy. I have a Intel Celeron 700 MHZ processor (old, I know I'm buying a new computer soon enough). But my processor isn't fast enough to remane a 500 MB file! After the 7th or 8th time Windows crashed, I gave up. I guess Windows requires a 3GHZ processor to perform a simple task    :rolleyes:

[ August 16, 2004: Message edited by: Canadian Lover ]

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2004, 08:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Lover:
I downloaded a ISO image witch came with an EXE extention on the end.   :rolleyes:   When I  saw this I thought "No problem, I'll remove the exe extention to an ISO file. Well, it was not this easy. I have a Intel Celeron 700 MHZ processor (old, I know I'm buying a new computer soon enough). But my processor isn't fast enough to remane a 500 MB file! After the 7th ot 8th time Windows crashed, I gave up. I guess Windows requires a 3GHZ processor to perform a simple task   :rolleyes:  

Wait a minute.  So you saw ".iso.exe" and didn't immediately think "VBS virus" why?  Besides, renaming an executable to ISO will make it inoperable until you change the extension back.  My guess is that it's one of the bajillion fake ISOs floating around that's actually an installer for a cracked copy of GTA3 or something.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2004, 08:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Candidate/BOB:

Wait a minute.  So you saw ".iso.exe" and didn't immediately think "VBS virus" why?  Besides, renaming an executable to ISO will make it inoperable until you change the extension back.  My guess is that it's one of the bajillion fake ISOs floating around that's actually an installer for a cracked copy of GTA3 or something.

I scanned it with AVG first. And the file was suppost to be an ISO anyway. I got tired with ME and I decided to find the ISO to XP, and agian my AVG comfirmed it wasn't a virus

[ August 16, 2004: Message edited by: Canadian Lover ]

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2004, 21:07 »
Windows ME. That's the problem.

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2004, 21:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Fett101:
Windows ME. That's the problem.

Witch is why I want Xp in the first place

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2004, 16:22 »
I don't know why it took so long to rename a 500 file, if it was a 500GB file it shouldn't make any difference because all Windows or any OS does is modify the file name in the file system, the system doesn't have to process more than a few KB of data.

I know that XP is a lot better than ME but why don't you use Linux?

I have had problems with Linux hardware support (Winmodem and 3D graphics etc.) but you should should buy a machine with Linux compatable hardware. If its powerful enough you should be able to run an easy to use distro such a Mandrake or Redhat (To bloated for me, even more bloated than XP) but at least there more secure and stable. As for your old machine, don't throw it away, install Vector Linux on it.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2004, 20:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Aloone:
I don't know why it took so long to rename a 500 file, if it was a 500GB file it shouldn't make any difference because all Windows or any OS does is modify the file name in the file system, the system doesn't have to process more than a few KB of data.

I know that XP is a lot better than ME but why don't you use Linux?

I have had problems with Linux hardware support (Winmodem and 3D graphics etc.) but you should should buy a machine with Linux compatable hardware. If its powerful enough you should be able to run an easy to use distro such a Mandrake or Redhat (To bloated for me, even more bloated than XP) but at least there more secure and stable. As for your old machine, don't throw it away, install Vector Linux on it.

I am going to use "FDISK" to install linux. I can't have just linux; I need Windows for games.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2004, 20:48 »
quote:

I am going to use "FDISK" to install linux. I can't have just linux; I need Windows for games.

What games exactly?

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2004, 20:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm / BOB:

What games exactly?

manly the sims and simcity4

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2004, 03:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Aloone:

No kidding...I've heard plenty of stories of Windoze taking hours to rename a file, even with NTFS drives (that should be better).
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2004, 03:28 »
That's funny, I've even moved a 1.2GB directory on a FAT32 drive on a P200 with just 32MB ram before, it took just 3 seconds (with very little disk activity). To Windows or any OS moving a file around a disk or renaming it are the same operation. In Linux you use the same command, in Windows/DOS the commands are different but internally they call the same function. I remember when I programmed in DOS assembly move & rename were the same  call. This is only true if the file is in the same partition or file system, to move it from one to another it is copied first and then deleted form the source.

I would imagine that what's happened here is a case of lack of free memory and the dreaded swap file in action or a lack of disk space or severe fragmentation of the drive.

When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive?

By the way, boot into same mode and turn your screen saver of before you do this.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2004, 03:32 »
All of you people must have had bunk copies of Windows, or super shitty computers.
Go the fuck ~

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2004, 04:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
All of you people must have had bunk copies of Windows, or super shitty computers.

So I need 3 GHZ to raname a file?

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2004, 08:17 »
quote:

So I need 3 GHZ to raname a file?

No, you need a defragged box to rename a file in any kind of time.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

dull60

• Kudos: 0
    • http://rrs.yi.org/yabbse/index.php?y=antibush
« Reply #14 on: 9 September 2004, 07:18 »
couple things here
1: the iso you downloaded was probably (or part of) a winnrar self executable
2: I belive windoze verifies the data which could lead to confusion if i was indeed not an ISO
3: From what i know you seem to run a lotta shit in ure background (kazaa, firewall, virus scanner, ect so next time try runnin that End it all i sent u before you try to confuse windoze.
4: and lastly why the hell you runnin ME its just bloated crap, well all windowz is but ME is really bad.
And thats the bottom line because i said so.