Author Topic: BeOS  (Read 7457 times)

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
BeOS
« on: 4 June 2005, 23:51 »
i was going to try downloading beos to see what its like, i give up, every link i find that is supposed to be a beos site such as be.com is a useless searchengine full of ads
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Re: BeOS
« Reply #1 on: 4 June 2005, 23:57 »
Moved.

PS. Perhaps you should PM MrX so that he can post in this thread.
He seems to be in love with BeOS.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 5 June 2005, 00:19 »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

solemnwarning

« Reply #3 on: 5 June 2005, 03:10 »
got iso and wrote it, first attempt at booting it crashed when i clicked install, second attempt it crashed during boot, so linux rules!!!

btw: could the dev at least use a normal iso so u can use k3b insted of a stupidly longcdrecord command???????
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #4 on: 5 June 2005, 03:27 »
With FreeBSD I always use the burncd command. I seem to like it more than GUI apps. Their all gui and stuff like green gu stuff, it sucks.
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

solemnwarning

« Reply #5 on: 5 June 2005, 05:43 »
most gui frontends do suck as far as im concerned but k3b is good

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 5 June 2005, 06:52 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
got iso and wrote it, first attempt at booting it crashed when i clicked install, second attempt it crashed during boot, so linux rules!!!
What CPU do you have?

Installation went like a dream when I installed it. They even give you a game of Connect 4 to play while yer waiting :D

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

solemnwarning

« Reply #7 on: 5 June 2005, 11:51 »
AMD Sempron 2400, i hate sempron chips but xp athlons artnd made anymore

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 5 June 2005, 12:09 »
I have no idea what Sempron is (unless it's the low class Athlons?)...
I know that BeOS only supports very few chips. The official BeOS didn't even support x86 chips, the BeOS Max Personal Edition version you (and I) were trying is some kinda port or something... Or just a different version, probably.
It's not the official one or something, I don't quite understand it myself (as you can see) ;)

http://www.bebits.com/app/3148 for more info on that ISO. It's the Intel (x86) version.

Maybe Mr. X will come along and clear a few things up for us...

solemnwarning

« Reply #9 on: 5 June 2005, 13:34 »
As far as im already concerned BeOS is not as good as Linux, linux supports most chips not very few, linux normally has real isos that i dont need to run cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd speed=32 -eject -v -data floppycd.img BeOS5PEMaxEditionV31b1.iso to burn

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #10 on: 5 June 2005, 14:33 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
As far as im already concerned BeOS is not as good as Linux, linux supports most chips not very few, linux normally has real isos that i dont need to run cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd speed=32 -eject -v -data floppycd.img BeOS5PEMaxEditionV31b1.iso to burn

How does this make Linux technically better than BeOS?

Windows supports more printers, modems and games than Linux but does this make it any better than Linux?
« Last Edit: 5 June 2005, 15:11 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #11 on: 5 June 2005, 19:21 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
How does this make Linux technically better than BeOS?

Windows supports more printers, modems and games than Linux but does this make it any better than Linux?

Technically, FreeBSD is better. Then, why am I not using FreeBSD?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 5 June 2005, 20:49 »
Quote from: Refalm
Technically, FreeBSD is better.

I didn't think that was your opinion.

Quote from: Refalm
Then, why am I not using FreeBSD?

I could say the same thing about Windows.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #13 on: 6 June 2005, 00:59 »
Semprons are the current series of 32-bit athlons.  They gave the Athlon name to the 64-bit series chips.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #14 on: 6 June 2005, 01:10 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
Semprons are the current series of 32-bit athlons. They gave the Athlon name to the 64-bit series chips.

I can see it now:
"Hello, XXX Tech Support, how may we help you?"
"Yeah, I just bought this Athlon, and it won't run Longhorn."
"Can you tell me what model you have?"
"Um, sure, lemme check here... it's an Athlon XP 2800."
"I'm sorry sir, that's a Sempron, you'll need an Athlon to run Longhorn."
"Wait, the box says it's an Athlon, and Longhorn says it'll run on Athlons."
"I'm sorry, sir, that's NOT an Athlon."
"But the box..."
"Any further questions today, sir?"
"No thanks, I think I'll use one of the BSDs instead."
"You know the SCO Group is prosecuting Linux licensees, right?"
*CLICK*

EDIT: THIS is PRECISELY why I buy Intel processors.  If Microsoft starts locking them into Longhorn, then I'll use AMD, but dealing with Stupid Bastards Inc Tech Support is NOT something I look forward to doing.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals