Author Topic: BeOS  (Read 7452 times)

MrX

• Kudos: 0
Re: BeOS
« Reply #15 on: 6 June 2005, 06:23 »
Hey.

don't start worrying about printers and that. beos is a 'multimedia OS' not a productivity OS, like Microsoft .

dont plan on doing this on beos:

printing, making office documents, digital imageing, playing 'new' games (quake II and lower we have),

plan on doing this on beos:
media (with vlc), music, firefox, mozilla email, quake II, beshare, being cool .

I just installed BeOS pro yesterday and it's pretty fast boot up (faster than BeOS max by abit) although the deksbar froze on me i installed open tracker and then the new open tracker FS and it works good now.

if you wanna know what doesnt work or work with beos, check out
http://www.computing.net and then on the left side hit the BeOS link and browse or search for something and you may be able to find out .

Mr X

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #16 on: 6 June 2005, 06:56 »
making office documents,

Didn't they port AbiWord to it?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

MrX

« Reply #17 on: 6 June 2005, 07:21 »
yeah but who needs that when you have StyledEdit?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #18 on: 6 June 2005, 07:39 »
Well then, I guess you *can* make office documents on it, huh?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

MrX

« Reply #19 on: 6 June 2005, 19:00 »
yeah, but who's gonna? not me.

Mr X

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #20 on: 6 June 2005, 19:07 »
Quote from: MrX
yeah, but who's gonna? not me.

Mr X

People in many jobs and those in education tend to do lots of word processing these days...  :eek:
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #21 on: 6 June 2005, 21:43 »
MrX, I've told just accept that other people's are often different from your own. I've discussed the why no one uses BoOS thing before here and I would discuss it again but I can't be fucked.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

MrX

« Reply #22 on: 7 June 2005, 03:41 »
when i need to do word processing and printing i use my moms win98 system with open office.

Mr X

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #23 on: 7 June 2005, 04:11 »
AMD took athlons and modified there cores a bit. Pretty much just a smaller amount of cache. The sempron is AMD's Celeron
sig.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #24 on: 7 June 2005, 04:14 »
if XXX inc is so bad why did they come out with the first x86-64 CPU
sig.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #25 on: 7 June 2005, 09:52 »
Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head
if XXX inc is so bad why did they come out with the first x86-64 CPU

Wow, CompUSA / BestBuy / Office Depot / Fry's Electronics / take your pick came out with the first x86-64 CPU?  I didn't know that.  For future reference, three letters does NOT AMD make anymore than FUBAR makes INTEL.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 7 June 2005, 23:00 »
Quote from: MrX
when i need to do word processing and printing i use my moms win98 system with open office.

Mr X

So even you agree that BeOS doesn't fully fulfill your needs and you need a different operating system to do some tasks, I rest my case.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 11 June 2005, 01:57 »
One thing that annoys me is there is a real lack of choice for operating systems these days, you basically have a choice between Windows or UNIX and if you don't like either you're fucked. I don't have a problem with UNIX but I can see why some people do.

MrX

« Reply #28 on: 11 June 2005, 04:28 »

So even you agree that BeOS doesn't fully fulfill your needs and you need a different operating system to do some tasks, I rest my case.

looks like your case was picked up and thrown all over.
 "some" tasks are like any other OS . there are somethings you can do only on windows, that you cannot do on anyother OS. Like, use Radmin .

i dont 'need' to have beos to print and do documents . i don't care if it can or not. that's not what I do in my room. I play games and such. the win98 computer is in another room with a printer.  
Mr X

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #29 on: 11 June 2005, 08:29 »
Just so we're clear on this, Radmin is crap.  What can you do with it that you can't do with (FREE) rdesktop and Terminal Services, or for that matter, VNC?  What, chat with encryption?  No thanks, I've got Gaim.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals