Author Topic: Should I delete microsoft  (Read 2802 times)

luckyp3616

• Kudos: 106
Should I delete microsoft
« on: 22 June 2005, 16:30 »
My sister uses Microsoft Windows XP(R) to use Microsoft Word 2002(R). She uses Microsoft products, but I want to rid myself of M$ and extend :tux: to all my disk. but how should I go about ridding mysel of what my sister needs for school? I loved :tux:(linux) to begin with.
Two years... (literally), and my account is still on... THANK YOU!

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

sjor

• Kudos: 34
    • http://www.mental.co.nr
Re: Should I delete microsoft
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2005, 16:50 »
mabey OpenOffice?

luckyp3616

« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2005, 17:37 »
Quote from: sjor
mabey OpenOffice?

but her book is all about m$ word, so its a manual on it. She is going to get a computer this december. so should I delete it then?

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2005, 17:56 »
before you delete windows i would check to make sure that word 2002 is compatible with open office for linux.
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2005, 18:10 »
Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head
before you delete windows i would check to make sure that word 2002 is compatible with open office for linux.

Most of it is compatible.

luckyp3616

« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2005, 18:24 »
Quote from: Refalm
Most of it is compatible.

LINUXX ROXX!!!

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2005, 18:41 »
Ya it rocks but i just wish i could get UT2004 Linux version to instal under suse
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2005, 19:09 »
Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head
Ya it rocks but i just wish i could get UT2004 Linux version to instal under suse

So what's wrong?

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2005, 21:16 »
suse sucks?
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2005, 21:36 »
Quote from: luckyp3616
My sister uses Microsoft Windows XP(R) to use Microsoft Word 2002(R). She uses Microsoft products, but I want to rid myself of M$ and extend :tux: to all my disk. but how should I go about ridding mysel of what my sister needs for school? I loved :tux:(linux) to begin with.

Please provide more infromation.

Whos computer is it?

What does she use it for apart from word processing?

How much does she know about, computers? Do you think she'll be able to learn Linux easily?

Do you get on well with her?

My advice is don't force things on people, Bill Gates has forced many people to use Windows and if you try to force someone to use Linux then you'll be just as bad.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2005, 23:59 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Please provide more infromation.

Whos computer is it?

How much does she know about, computers? Do you think she'll be able to learn Linux easily?

My advice is don't force things on people, Bill Gates has forced many people to use Windows and if you try to force someone to use Linux then you'll be just as bad.

Golden advice.

You might think...oh "Open Office is just as good as MS Office", but for people who are not into messing with computers, changing to from MS Office to Open Office can be very difficult, frustrating, and traumatic experience.

Non-techie people take a lot longer to get accustomed to software interfaces, and once they do become accustomed to them, changing is extremely diffcult.

but her book is all about m$ word, so its a manual on it.

A book on it? Is she taking a class on MS office? If she is, do not remove it.
:)

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2005, 00:16 »
if it aint broke don't fix it, just improve it.

Mr X

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2005, 00:39 »
Just another point, I would recommend educating her about open source software in general. Tell her that alternatives to Microsoft software like FireFox and OpenOffice do exist. Let her make her own mind up, you never know she might like OpenOffice and if she doesn't then fair enough but don't bother arguing with her about it. I'm best of friends with my sister and I wouldn't let Microsoft fuck up a good friendship, Bill Gates just isn't worth it. :D

When we got our new computer (my father, bother and I payed an equal share toward it as we're the main users) it came with MS works, I installed OpenOffice, and managed to persuade both my father an brother to use it because I demenonstrated to them how much better it is. I also tried to get them to use FireFox but my dad prefurs IE for some reason but I managed to convert my brother to Opera.

I then set up everyones user accounts as limited and made an administrator account and put the password on display, often people complained because some programs produced the odd error, but I explained to them why it was best to use limited accounts and how to use the run as administrator menu. Now I rarely have any complaints the system runs well and I accept people use different software.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2005, 02:34 »
introduce your father to firefoxie.com or something there is no reason why he shouldnt not look into it at least

Mr X

luckyp3616

« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2005, 03:23 »
Whos computer is it?

Mine.

* Yahoo! Messenger
* Mail
? Online Games
* Java
* Flash
X Macromedia Shockwave

* = Available on Linux
? = Some
X = Not Implemented by Makers for linux (again, :fu: FUCKMicrosoft)

How much does she know about, computers?

Teachable. Interested Apps:

(++) Mozilla
(++) Yahoo! Messenger
(NI) XCDRoast or K3B
(NI) GTK-Gnutella or Phex
(NI) OpenOffice
(EE) Anything Command-Based

(++) = Knows how to use
(NI) = Not showed to her
(EE) = Cannot Use

Do you think she'll be able to learn Linux easily?

If I could get KDE up, automatticaly (Init, maybe?)

Yes