Author Topic: Should I delete microsoft  (Read 2803 times)

luckyp3616

• Kudos: 106
Re: Should I delete microsoft
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2005, 03:55 »
Microsoft Deletion Confirmed! She has no more Winbloze XP classes!

T-2:00 (H:MM)
Two years... (literally), and my account is still on... THANK YOU!

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

luckyp3616

« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2005, 05:18 »
Deleting...

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

luckyp3616

« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2005, 06:00 »
Darn... My Tomcat is on it! I should delete it and create the minimal OS for Tomcat Teating!

luckyp3616

« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2005, 22:55 »
Windows... DELETED!!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2005, 02:25 »
Microsoft Office totally rocks over OpenOffice.

I use both.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #20 on: 28 June 2005, 12:04 »
kintaro,
I agree MS Office is better, but that's because it's been developed for much longer and the shear amount of money being invested in it, however it's not anywhere as good value for money as OpenOffice, oh sorry kintaro I forgot you use warez.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #21 on: 28 June 2005, 13:22 »
I never really used MS Office too much, never needed to, never wanted to. Except in school of course... Fucking bastards.

I mess about in the OpenOffice beta occasionally though. I think it's pretty damn good and it runs very well (but of course it does crash now and again, but that's what betas do. It recovers from them brilliantly too). Taking the ECDL nexy year as part of our transition year course (we have to do it in schoool), so as soon as I can, I'll be telling whoever is over it that I'll not be doing my ECDL exam in MS Office, even IF it was just because Microsoft are evil bastards and I don't wanna support them and I wanna support free software etc etc etc.
They can either let me do it in OpenOffice, or I'll be skipping the ECDL. Easy as pi.

Anyhow, why do you two prefer MS Office to OpenOffice?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #22 on: 28 June 2005, 13:56 »
Quote from: piratePenguin

Must be the lock-in.
That, or the black-box coding.
:D

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 28 June 2005, 17:59 »
Quote from: piratePenguin

Yes, I can answer your question but it isn't as simple as saying "MS Office is better than OpenOffice" or vice versa. To be honest I don't prefer MS Office but it is better than  OpenOffice when you look purely at the balence of features:

• MS Office has a grammar checker and OO doesn't
  • Better spell checker.
  • MS Equation is lot better than OO Math type.
  • Excel has statistical analyses functions are missing from calc.
  • Speed and resource usage, with MS office the applications are all separate with OO they're all in soffice.bin so you have to have the whole thing loaded just to do one task like word processing this makes OO consume more memory and makes it slower for small tasks.
  • Ease of use, for example to insert a page of landsape in an OO document you have to fuck around with creating a new style but in word you can just change the properties of the page in question.

I would've added lack of Word Art but I've checked out the OO 2.0 beta and the Fontwork feature is better than Wordart.

However OpenOffice is also better in other ways:
  • PDF Export.
  • Better drawing package.
  • SGV export.
  • Better file format support.

Orethrius,
I see your point but lock-in simply isn't a factor unless you use the advanced features of MS Office, I transfer files between MS and Open Office with out any trouble.

I use MS Office at work and college and OpenOffice at home. OpenOffice offers better value for money as it has the features most people will need and it's free while MS Office cost a lot. OpenOffice is also improving at a faster rate than MS Office which hasn't improved that much since 1997.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #24 on: 28 June 2005, 19:19 »
I feel it should be brought to the original author's attention that the Justice Department pondered that question for quite some time, and the decision ultimately got thrown out on a technicality.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #25 on: 28 June 2005, 19:40 »
I agree MS Office is better, but that's because it's been developed for much longer and the shear amount of money being invested in it,

OpenOffice = StarOffice, which has been around just as long as MS Office.

Not that Sun ever cared much about it.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 28 June 2005, 20:16 »
Quote from: WMD
OpenOffice = StarOffice, which has been around just as long as MS Office.

I didn't know that, but smy point still stands; Star/Open Office hasn'r had the same investment as MS Office and it's a very good piece of software especially when taking this into consideration.

Quote from: WMD
Not that Sun ever cared much about it.

I guess that's why they decided to open-source it.