Author Topic: Startup Programs  (Read 1399 times)

Spuzzdawg

• Kudos: 0
Startup Programs
« on: 24 February 2002, 21:57 »
I got hacked and they left me a nice trojan that i spent all night gettin rid of. Once i got rid of it i got these nice little messages each time i start up sayin that windows couldnt find ielore.exe. I did some researched and found out that iexplore.exe didnt belong where it was llokin for it and my comp was workin fine without it. Since that was one of the filez that got infected with the trojan i realised that the trojan must have put it there and called it that to make it look official.

On close inspection i realised that the error message actually read iexpIore.exe not iexplore (an "I" instead of an "L") - i searched the registry and found a command hidden in windows NT setup tellin it to run at startup - all good problem solved.

Except now i still get one error message. Before i was gettin 2 error messages pop up twice each but now i'm just gettin the one. I've searche sysedit and the registry - no luck gettin rid of the error messages.

If someone could help me find out what is trying to run my non existant trojan i would be greatly appreciative.

The trojan was: backdoor.oblivion
I'm usin: windows XP Pro - dont get angry at me!!

Sorry about tellin ya my whole life story but i thought it was neccessary to explain everything.

Spuzzdawg

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Startup Programs
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2002, 10:36 »
I don't get it.  Why would someone come to fuckmicrosoft.com to get help fixing Windows? How about the normal Microsoft fix (reinstall, then reinstall all of your service packs).  If you don't want to go to all that trouble there is an easier way. Press the button on the front of your monitor (there should be a green light right next to it).  The message should disappear.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Spuzzdawg

Startup Programs
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2002, 10:55 »
I understand that not too many people here like microsoft at all. To be honest i dont really care wither way - all i wanna do wit my comp is make my web page - do my homework - play a few games and burn cd's. I dont see how deleting everything and installing a new operating system will really help that. Maybe people with other computer requirements would prefer to do that.

I came here because from other forums i have read it would appear that there are a few people (obviously not you) who are very knowledgeable about the way XP works. I have tried everything i know and left messages on every forum i can think of - but everything has turned up blank.

Thanx for ur help anyway you useless piece of shit.

P.S. People using this site need to keep in mind that at the end of the day it is only a computer - not your intire life

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Startup Programs
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2002, 11:02 »
You are correct, there are a lot of people here that know a lot about XP, which is why they don't use it.  Call Microsoft, ask them why their operating system allowed you to get a trojan.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

lu666s

• http://www.lumir.net/
Startup Programs
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2002, 16:53 »
quote:
The message should disappear.

ROFL!!!!!!

:D
I'm not in favor of senseless Microsoft bashing. I'm in favor of bashing Microsoft senseless.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Startup Programs
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2002, 22:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Spuzzdawg:
To be honest i dont really care wither way - all i wanna do wit my comp is make my web page - do my homework - play a few games and burn cd's.

Aw poor baby.

Get a Mac, there are only like 50 RARE viruses for them. Most of them only work on older systems too, and none of them are totaly destructive.

And in case you didn't understand, VoidMan gave you the best advice you will ever get on any other site in the entire WWW.  
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
Startup Programs
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2002, 03:10 »
Hey,

OK let me give you some real help. First get rid of the virus the easiest way to do that is go to

Housecalls

They can scan your system and remove virus's free of charge. Of course that may mean they are also stealing your info but most windows user don't seem to care about that.

Second you will need to edit your registry and find the cause of the problem. Or you could restore the backup of your registry. Or you could find one of the many programs to help you work in the registry.

Third once you get everything working again. DO NOT use IE or Outlook. I suggest you get Mozilla which has a decent email client with it.

Fourth if you need additional help I suggest you talk to VoidMain. IMHO he is one of the most knowledgable people here. UMMM that may be a problem though considering what you have said already. Oh well those alligator mouths can be problems at times.  
Later
Centurian

Spuzzdawg

Startup Programs
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2002, 15:45 »
Sorry about the mouth - i get carried away

Its just that no one seems to understand. I aint goin to chang OS just yet - this is my parents comp - maybe on mine when i get it i will.

I have already gotten rid of the trojan - that wasnt a prob. The problem is that it stuck somethin somewhere tryin to run it at startup and i've searched the registry and found one hidden entry - deleted that and i am still gettin one error message instead of the original two. Is there anywhere else that you can startup programs from besides the registry, sysedit and obviously the startup folder - cos it aint in any of those places.

Many thanx,

Spuzzdawg

P.S. have u guys thought about puttin info here about why M$ suck - i see alot a ppl say it is shit and a few reasons why but nothing that would make me change - maybe i aint lookin hard enough but hey.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Startup Programs
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2002, 19:01 »
That's right, you're not looking hard enough. there are currently TWO active topics that deal with reasons microsoft suck. One is in the lounge or somewhere, the other was just started a few days ago in the Unix/Linux forum by somebody too impatient to find the other one himself!    

Well, go and look in Unix/Linux>Reasons Microsoft suck cock or something similar and i have put a link in there to the other thread too...

Re: startup, yes there are a few places, but i don't know where they are. One handy thing for checking ALL the programs that run on startup is System Mechanic from IOLO. It's payware but you get to use it for free for a month. It has a function where it displays all the startup programs in a list and you can disable or delete them if you like.
Careful though, if you delete something, System Mechanic won't put it back and you'll need to reinstall it. On the other hand, if you just disable it a lot of the shittier applications detect that their agents are disabled (all the realnetworks stuff for a start) and just add another shortcut to bypass your disablement! this can be remedied by deleting the entry completely.
Good luck. No links here because i am unwilling to fire up google and dogpile again when it'll be good practise for you to go and do it yrself.
Happy Hunting....
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
Startup Programs
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2002, 20:50 »
Since your using XP I am not sure if any of this applies or not. The closest I hve come to XP is repairing my brother brand new gateway computer that came with XP.

The autoexec.bat and the config.sys can both start programs. They can be found in the C:\ directory. Also you can press and hold F8 during boot and a text menu will pop up then you can choose interactive configuration (or something like that) and it will ask you before doing each part of the boot. That may give you a better idea where the problem lies.

Unfortunately as I said that may or may not apply with XP.
Later
Centurian