Poll

What should I tell Molly?

Wipe HD and install Windows
0 (0%)
Inslall Windows, and dualboot again
0 (0%)
Install Windows, dualboot, with everything else alt.
2 (14.3%)
Tell her no, and explain.
6 (42.9%)
Tell her "NO, too bad."
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: My sister is microsoftified  (Read 2193 times)

luckyp3616

• Kudos: 106
My sister is microsoftified
« on: 26 June 2005, 02:55 »
She loves M$, but I hate it! What should I tell her?
Two years... (literally), and my account is still on... THANK YOU!

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Re: My sister is microsoftified
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2005, 03:44 »
If you bought and paid for this system, then nobody else has the right to tell you what to run on it. If she persists, explain that there is equivalent software for the majority of programmes she used under Windows (even Solitaire!), save a handful of obscure titles (even Far.Cry runs under WineX). If she threatens to wipe the hard drive and install Windows anyway, tell her this is unacceptable as she has no claim to the hardware; if she persists, enable a BIOS password on bootup. If she formats the drive after swearing to comply with your security policy, disconnect the power supply from the motherboard (after switching off and unplugging the power supply, of course!) then plug the power supply back in, separate from the motherboard. She'll never figure that one out, just remember to switch off and unplug the power supply before reconnecting the motherboard for your own usage.

If this system was purchased with family funds, dual-boot it.  Plain and simple, it saves precious arguing time.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2005, 03:53 »
You say she loves Microsoft, aren't you being a bit dramatic?

My brother's laptop came with OpenOffice, he used it for a few months and then decided it didn't fulfill his needs so he installed Microsoft Office 2000 as he's entitles to a free licence from his univercity. I don't have a problem with this, he's tried out a piece of software and decided it doesn't suit him so he's found some software that does, he doesn't use IE, he's tried both Opera and FireFox and gone for Opera because it prefurs it.

Has your sister used any non-Microsoft software?

Do you think she could be just shy and afraid to try out new things?
My dad just uses MS software (well apart from OpenOffice) because he refuses to learn to use anything else, and I don't blame him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Microsoft just as I don't like many other big companies but they're not as bad as some, as far as I'm aware they don't use child workers and they haven't killed anyone, yes they have a monopoly and it's bad but I think we need to put things into perspective.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

luckyp3616

« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2005, 03:54 »
Oretherus: Oh, I get it... so if she tries to format, then I temporarily disable the BIOS!

Aloon_jonez: Well. she calles it "ease of use" and "compatibility" (simply because of the frikin "Yahoo!" service)

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2005, 04:00 »
So, you havn't answered any of my questions, what is the main reason she won't use FireFox or anything else non-Microsoft for that matter?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

luckyp3616

« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2005, 04:04 »
Comfy GUI and Perfect compat. She uses it for Easy use of software, and 100% compatibility. She is too used to Microsoft. OH yeah, she says its "too" primitive. It wouldn;t be if M$ havent patented everything.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2005, 01:38 »
Quote from: Orethrius
If you bought and paid for this system, then nobody else has the right to tell you what to run on it. If she persists, explain that there is equivalent software for the majority of programmes she used under Windows (even Solitaire!), save a handful of obscure titles (even Far.Cry runs under WineX). If she threatens to wipe the hard drive and install Windows anyway, tell her this is unacceptable as she has no claim to the hardware; if she persists, enable a BIOS password on bootup. If she formats the drive after swearing to comply with your security policy, disconnect the power supply from the motherboard (after switching off and unplugging the power supply, of course!) then plug the power supply back in, separate from the motherboard. She'll never figure that one out, just remember to switch off and unplug the power supply before reconnecting the motherboard for your own usage.

If this system was purchased with family funds, dual-boot it.  Plain and simple, it saves precious arguing time.

dont bother with disconnecting psu its hard on some boards, just unplug the power button :) u dont need to unplug from mains for pwr button either
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2005, 02:17 »
If she's a virgin sacrafice her to me and chaos.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2005, 08:00 »
We should all be promoting Linux...

...BY FORCE!  :rolleyes:  Genius!
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2005, 11:37 »
Quote from: skyman8081
We should all be promoting Linux...

...BY FORCE!  :rolleyes:  Genius!

Hey, he paid for it, that's his perogative.
God knows I try not to force-strangle sysops that tell me to use XP because they're lazy asses.  *urge to kill... rising...*

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2005, 12:08 »
I agree skyman and I'd just like to make this point again:

Bill Gates has forced many people to use Windows if you force someone to use Linux then you're just as fucking bad.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2005, 12:54 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

Bill Gates has forced many people to use Windows if you force someone to use Linux then you're just as fucking bad.
If Mr. Y has done many bad things and Mr. Z does some bad thing, the same as one of the many bad things that Mr. Y has done, that does not mean that Mr. Z is just as bad as Mr. Y.

That and:
Aloone, what's worse: killing one innocent person or killing thirty million innocent people?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2005, 13:30 »
Yes but you get the point, don't be like Bill Gates togeather with other people who force people to run software they don't want. The main reason why I'm anti-Microsoft is because they're anti-choice and I'm against anyone who wants to limit someone else's choices.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2005, 19:37 by Aloone_Jonez »

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2005, 13:50 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Yes but you get the point, don't be like Bill Gates and force people to run software they don't want. The main reason why I'm anti-Microsoft is because they're anti-choice and I'm against anyone who wants to limit someone else's choices.
I do not get this.
You hate Microsoft with a passion, because they're against choice.
And you continue to use and support Microsoft products, rather than use and support free software (which would make more sense)? What in the hell?
So what's the plan? How are we gonna eradicate these evil bastards?

You might laugh at me saying that you're supporting Microsoft by using their products. But, you are. If instead you used GNU/Linux, you are supporting free software (in a BIG way, often underestimated) and you can actually help fight MS rather than support them...

So why don't you use GNU/Linux full-time? It would make more sense, you talk about free choice and such alot, it seems.
You will achieve no such thing on MS anything.
You're locked in Aloone......
*Your* choices are limited. But aren't they? If you wanted to ditch Windows FOR GOOD and stop supporting MS FOR GOOD, could you?
I don't think you could.
Prove me wrong PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
;)
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2005, 19:11 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I do not get this.
You hate Microsoft with a passion, because they're against choice.

Yes, and I also respect people if they choose Microsoft software but only if they've tried the alternatives.

And you continue to use and support Microsoft products,

But Windows is the only Microsoft product I used at home but at work I have no choice.

rather than use and support free software (which would make more sense)? What in the hell?
So what's the plan? How are we gonna eradicate these evil bastards?

Linux isn't enough to eliminate Microsoft because it will never gain a significant market share, the US government and EU will have to do something. Let's also put the anti-Micorsoft thing into perspective, there are worse companies out there, some kill people and use cheap labour, Microsoft may be bad though they're not that bad.

You might laugh at me saying that you're supporting Microsoft by using their products. But, you are. If instead you used GNU/Linux, you are supporting free software (in a BIG way, often underestimated) and you can actually help fight MS rather than support them...

So why don't you use GNU/Linux full-time? It would make more sense, you talk about free choice and such alot, it seems.
You will achieve no such thing on MS anything.
You're locked in Aloone......
*Your* choices are limited. But aren't they? If you wanted to ditch Windows FOR GOOD and stop supporting MS FOR GOOD, could you?
I don't think you could.
Prove me wrong PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
;)

I only use Windows becaue Linux doesn't have any suitable any electronics simulation software, but this has been disscused    before.