Poll

What should I tell Molly?

Wipe HD and install Windows
0 (0%)
Inslall Windows, and dualboot again
0 (0%)
Install Windows, dualboot, with everything else alt.
2 (14.3%)
Tell her no, and explain.
6 (42.9%)
Tell her "NO, too bad."
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: My sister is microsoftified  (Read 2194 times)

luckyp3616

• Kudos: 106
Re: My sister is microsoftified
« Reply #15 on: 28 June 2005, 19:27 »
hey, I am using M$ XP to test rumors, and that ONLY! I will not use it for General purpose! I will track true rumors here!

1 Found True:

Search assistant sends to microsoft: IP Address, MAC Address (possibly), and Search terms to: sa.microsoft.com. They store that info according to EULA, but they stre it when it is a final release (Norton caught a connection to microsoft!)
Two years... (literally), and my account is still on... THANK YOU!

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 29 June 2005, 08:06 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
But Windows is the only Microsoft product I used at home but at work I have no choice.
Exactly my point.
You have no choice, fullstop. You dualboot with Vector Linux, but you don't use it much because your electronics simulation software was designed for Windows. GNU/Linux will run any and all software designed to run on GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux could kick the living shit out of Windows (and arguably it does), and you'd still have no choice, because whoever the hell is making your electronics simulation software and dictates what operating system you use, won't build for GNU/Linux.
Email them and ask them to port their software to GNU/Linux... And hope for the best.

Exactly what software are we talking about here anyhow? Do you use any hardware for connecting this electronics stuff to the PC?
Linux isn't enough to eliminate Microsoft because it will never gain a significant market share, the US government and EU will have to do something.
I dunno about that now...
Let's also put the anti-Micorsoft thing into perspective, there are worse companies out there, some kill people and use cheap labour, Microsoft may be bad though they're not that bad.
And what are you gonna do about these other companies? Nothing, for sure, until at least you stop buying, using, and supporting their products.
You've said that you hate Microsoft, because they're against freedom of choice and that... And you're still buying, using, and (hence) supporting their products.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #17 on: 29 June 2005, 15:10 »
Hmm.. LuckyP i think i can verify what you said, On XP as soon as i clicked on search the network activity icon lit up,  than i typed "microsoft better not be trying to see what i am searching for" and as soon as i clicked search the icon lit up again!!1
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #18 on: 29 June 2005, 20:25 »
On my brother's XP machine, when you did Search, it would start up "PC-Cillin: Script Blocker" or something.  I got this to stop by installing TweakUI and enabling classic search.  Now it looks like the 2000 search and doesn't connect.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2005, 16:25 »
My gaming machine is WinXP and today firefox "stopped" working and i had to spen atleast 12-30 min cleaning out every last bit of it and re-install it.

GO WITH LINUX, or dual boot, Or use a dual boot, i have my machine dual booted between windows and Linuxx which are on seperate harddrives
sig.

luckyp3616

• Kudos: 106
« Reply #20 on: 3 July 2005, 06:07 »
Microsoft sucks! Perpetual Upgrading: Remote Desktop to Windows XP not allowed unless  it is Pro or Media Center Edition. I can easily SSH to linux. Microsoft Sucks Everyday.
Two years... (literally), and my account is still on... THANK YOU!

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #21 on: 3 July 2005, 11:49 »
my firewall, when i used to use one, keps blocking incoming connections from M$. this was a fresh install of windows nd before i hosted any servers at home. mow could they have got my ip addy if i had just installed winblows and there was no domains pointing to my ip? MASS SPYAGE! now about the thread, leave linux on it. if it is usb bootable, make a 1 gig windows boot pendrive and make her use that one. im gunna install some linux distro on me laptop today. dunno what one, cause it has a 4 gig hdd.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 3 July 2005, 16:18 »
debian,suse,slackware it all depends what you install a full install of mandrake 10.1 2005 takes about 1.2 GB
sig.