Author Topic: Microsoft capable of making good OS  (Read 2377 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Microsoft capable of making good OS
« Reply #15 on: 29 June 2005, 07:38 »
Quote from: noob
all my probs have been with windows machines.
Same here :D
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #16 on: 29 June 2005, 15:05 »
here is a problem i have with windows.
sig.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #17 on: 29 June 2005, 23:56 »
Hey Lead, wrong thread. ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2005, 00:04 »
i know i was just felt like posting an image to show what i good OS wouldnt have
sig.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2005, 06:54 »
Microsoft have made a decent OS. Its called Windows 2003. Its very bloody good.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 30 June 2005, 16:21 »
i have heared of it, i thought they releases it this year, if they did wouldnt they call it Win2005.
sig.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #21 on: 1 July 2005, 12:23 »
The successor to Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft's Windows Server 2003 (codename Whistler Server, also known as Windows NT 5.2) is a step in the evolution of Microsoft's server operating systems.

Windows 2003 takes the stability of Windows 2000 Server, and brings compatibility and other features from Windows XP. Unlike Windows 2000 Server, 2003 boots up with none of the server components turned on, to reduce the attack vectors for new install. Also Windows 2003 includes compatibility modes to allow older code to run with more stability. It also includes enhancements to various services such as the IIS web server. In particular it was made more compatible with NT 4 domain based networking. Incorporating and upgrading an NT 4 domain to Windows 2000 was considered difficult and time consuming, and generally was considered an all or nothing upgrade particularly when dealing with Active Directory. Windows 2003 brought in enhanced Active Directory compatibility, and better deployment support, to ease the transition from NT 4 to Windows 2003 and XP.

Initially, the product was to be called "Windows .NET Server 2003," to promote the integrated enterprise framework .NET. In this improved Microsoft server, performance of ASP.NET (the successor of Active Server Pages) has improved and integration is tighter.

However, due to fears of confusing the market about what ".NET" represents and responding to criticism, Microsoft removed .NET from the name. This allowed the name .NET to exclusively apply to the .NET framework, as previously it had appeared that .NET was just a tag for a generation of Microsoft products.

Microsoft launched the new product on April 24, 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2003

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #22 on: 3 July 2005, 08:05 »
Is Microsoft capable of making a good OS? I think so, they have more than enough resources, that's for sure. But I don't think it'll ever happen. Microsoft are in a monopoly position, and they want to keep it that way. They do not need 'good' products to do so. They just need to make their users upgrade, and they're doing a good (ie. bad) job of it so far.
Whether their OS is good, crap or shit come release day, is barely a concern. They're not trying to make a good OS, they're trying to squeze every little penny out of the market as possible. And for that reason, I can't see them making a 'good' OS.

However, the competition is getting better and more recognised. Microsoft, for the first time in a long time, will soon NEED to produce GOOD products, or they will suffer big time.

Now Apple, they have (arguably) a very good OS. But they need to, in order to compete. Given the opportunity, they would probably love to take a monopoly position just like MS has now. Would they ever release such great products after that? I would doubt it.

So yes, I do think MS is capable of making a good OS. Like Siplus said:
Quote from: Siplus
Yes. MS _IS_ capable of makeing a good OS, it just wouldn't help their business of perpetual upgrading. In fact, making a good OS would be hazardous for microsoft.
They're not interested in making a 'good' OS. If they were, their next OS would ship with Firefox in place of Internet Explorer and Apache in place of IIS, et cetera, ad infinitum.

But Microsoft have bigger intentions.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #23 on: 3 July 2005, 19:14 »
Note: Microsoft are also powerful enough to feed a small family for the next fifteen million years. It is another known fact, a fact so solid that its mere composition say, hitting you in the head at a thousand miles an hour would well, cause considerable damage to your skull. Not only that but it would send your skull into an oblivion commonly known as death. It is more commonly known for the striking amount of people that go there and never come back. Anyway regardless of this the fact remains and it is this: Microsoft are so powerful and rich that if they were to use non electronic currency and instead, say something as solid as this fact, it would tip the axis of the earth and send Redmond Washington into the north of the planet and freeze it up, hence ending Microsoft and the United States. However it is also important to note that the move of the Earth would also lead it off its orbit turning it into a comet. Hence the earth would freeze in its entirety, thus solving all of mans problems.

So it can be a great solid fact that Microsoft really can solve all of mans problems.

Any arguments to that?

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #24 on: 5 July 2005, 03:00 »
Is John Tate the reincarnation of Douglas Adams?  Film at 11:00.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

jcprov21

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #25 on: 6 July 2005, 01:57 »
I dont think Microsuck Windblows is great nor do i think and of the software that microsoft makes any great software at all.:thumbdwn:
Your'e expecting some fancy signuture aren't you?

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #26 on: 6 July 2005, 07:52 »
Hey!

A member who is from around here.

I just Passed through SLO today coming back home. I spent the fouth of July over at the coast.
:)