Author Topic: Sorting through the Linux lie: What it really can do  (Read 2279 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: Sorting through the Linux lie: What it really can do
« Reply #15 on: 7 July 2005, 09:18 »
Linux beats Windows for usability for me. I've never used MacOS, and I don't plan on it.

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #16 on: 8 July 2005, 21:45 »
wel i use fedora cor 3 and it detected and setup my mouse on bootup. it has a build in keyboard cause of all the extra buttons. it was fine with it. recognises my dvd-ram drive and is quick at setting up hardware.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #17 on: 9 July 2005, 00:14 »
When you buy a hard drive or a printer or another sort of peripheral, you plug it into any available port, and it just plain works. There might be a bit of setup required, but the OS will walk you through it, and it'll be up and running before that sweet New Technology Smell has dissipated.

The sad fact is that in Windows, this happens a hell of a lot less than they would lead you to believe.  Most hardware requires some sort of setup.

For example, my Nikon Coolpix 4300, a fairly common camera.  Plugged it into my Mac - mounted the drive, and opened iPhoto, ready to get the pictures.  Plugged it into Fedora - mounted the drive.  Plugged it into my parents' WinXP Media Center PC - add new hardware wizard showed up, attempting to walk me through the setup process.  Even though it recognized what kind of camera it was, it still wanted to go through some sort of installation thing.  I didn't complete the process, I just wanted to see what it was like.

Ergo, Windows is crappy.  They try to do too much.  Just recognize that it is a microharddrive of some sort and mount it.  If there's a special photo program, launch it.  Seriously, that's all the OS is supposed to do.  If it can't, or won't, the OS is shit.