Author Topic: Ubuntu Vs Fedora/SuSE and VIA chipset  (Read 1051 times)

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
Ubuntu Vs Fedora/SuSE and VIA chipset
« on: 8 July 2005, 23:57 »
Why does my sound work properly in Ubuntu 5.04, when it does not work at all in Fedora Core 4 and SuSE 9.3?

Why did my sound work properly in Ubuntu 4.10, when it worked with a queue in Fedora Core 3 and did not work correctly (looping sound) in Novell Linux Desktop 9 (SuSE based)

My desktop uses a VIA chipset for audio/lan/ect.

In Fedora Core 3, i could get my sound to eliminate the queue when i went into my bios and deactivated my integrated sound, booted fedora and let its hardware detection manager remove the VIA driver, reboot, enable integrated sound, and finally let Fedora re-instal the audio driver.

Now, in Fedora Core 4, there is absolutely no sound at all, but there is also not hardware detection notification upon bootup like there was in fedora core 3.

I have ubuntu installed on my desktop, and is at the moment the primary OS, but I prefer Fedora. I also want to test around with SuSE.

The thing is, while i don't mind using ubuntu, a lot of my friends who would convert to linux would not like ubuntu, as it lacks the better integration of SuSE. My friend has a new AMD64 system that i built, but also contains a VIA chipset, and i would like the first install of linux on his system to run smoothly, and everything working.

What is the difference between the drivers in unbuntu related to audio and fedora/suse?

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Ubuntu Vs Fedora/SuSE and VIA chipset
« Reply #1 on: 9 July 2005, 00:21 »
Does running through 'alsaconf' in fedora/suse fix things?
If it detects your card and sound still doesn't work, try 'gstreamer-properties' (if your using GNOME. Try messing about with aRTS (sound server) if your using KDE)).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.