Author Topic: Debian 3.1 bloated my NAT-box  (Read 2595 times)

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
Re: Debian 3.1 bloated my NAT-box
« Reply #15 on: 9 July 2005, 15:01 »
Quote from: Orethrius
Seriously, go back to WinBBS where they value members that browbeat others instead of helping them.

Well, the issue is that I know who this ksym guy is. He's been dissing the channels I'm idling on, he's been touting his strong opinions about crap as if he knows what he's saying. Basically, repeating other people's opinions.

Now I see him here, and he's basically asking someone to man xargs him. I mean, he was actually happy with a huge perl script that basically does "xargs -n 1 apt-blahblah ... < remove.txt" and nothing else. Since he's been so happy at dissing windows users elsewhere and touting the greatness of linux and bsd and whatever, I figured he deserves no positive feedback. Especially when he himself says what he should do, just doesn't feel like doing it because he doesn't have cool and leet way of doing it. As if his ego would hurt if he'd have to do brute work, since linux users are above that, right?

This isn't just newbie bashing, this is personal. A guy who has guts to tell me that I'm a lamer because I use windows and trolls about my hacker association, doesn't deserve my friendliness. I don't have anything against newbies, just idiots who act like high and mighty, yet don't stop the play when they need something.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #16 on: 9 July 2005, 22:11 »
Okay, I'll eat crow on this one, I didn't see the whole situation at face value.  All I saw was someone who constantly blasts Linux users subjecting another one to hackneed cracks about their competency.  That being said, don't go and base your opinion of Linux users on one elitist.  If I were to do that with Windows users, I'd never convince anyone that there are other options in the world.  ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2005, 10:29 »
rm -R -f *

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #18 on: 27 July 2005, 00:01 »
IN BSD, there is a non system killing way of unbloating your system...

pkg_delete -a
:)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #19 on: 30 July 2005, 06:06 »
Yes but it makes your system quite annorexic

ksym

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #20 on: 1 August 2005, 22:58 »
Quote from: toadlife
IN BSD, there is a non system killing way of unbloating your system...

pkg_delete -a

Yes, that is EXACTLY why BSD systems are easier to keep healthy.

GNU/Linux systems have NO BASE SYSTEM WHATSOEVER. Goddamnit, what the hell is wrong with GNU/Linux distro developers, that they cannot separate base-system from external components, not even in package-management level?

And why in the hell do package development files go into /usr ?
All include files are mixed together in a big fucking glob, as well as all m4 macros and other fucking shit.
Why can't they be stored in a SEPARATE CVS, or anything???
Fuck, i just hate when people make fucked up userland designs just because they are lazy ...
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.
-- My piece of Neo-Zen Wisdom

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #21 on: 2 August 2005, 23:42 »
Make your own distribution ksym. And write your own standard for whatever the hell you want standards written for.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

ksym

« Reply #22 on: 3 August 2005, 00:56 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Make your own distribution ksym. And write your own standard for whatever the hell you want standards written for.

Yeah, i am planning to make my own GNU/Linux based operating system someday, when I get enough experience on operating system design methods, and get totally frustrated to these sucky distro's out there ...

But meanwhile I'll try other OS's, and learn from them. I guess this way i get enlightened ...
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.

toadlife

« Reply #23 on: 7 August 2005, 02:42 »
Quote from: ksym
Yeah, i am planning to make my own GNU/Linux based operating system someday, when I get enough experience on operating system design methods, and get totally frustrated to these sucky distro's out there ...

And then you too will hear from thousands of people that complain about the layout of your linux distro. They will complain that the rc.d startup system in your dsitro blows and you should have used /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.local or /usr/local/etc/rc.d or /etc/rc.d. :D

ksym

« Reply #24 on: 8 August 2005, 19:07 »
And then you too will hear from thousands of people that complain about the layout of your linux distro. They will complain that the rc.d startup system in your dsitro blows and you should have used /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.local or /usr/local/etc/rc.d or /etc/rc.d. :D

Im just curious ...

why don't people complain about FreeBSD:s BSD init system? =)

LOL OSS coders are all a bunch of wannabe-gurus who mock each other just to gain some respect =)
People are stupid.

toadlife

« Reply #25 on: 8 August 2005, 19:12 »
Im just curious ...

why don't people complain about FreeBSD:s BSD init system? =)

LOL OSS coders are all a bunch of wannabe-gurus who mock each other just to gain some respect =)

They DO! ;)

I've seen countless people post thigns like ... I prefer _x to FreeBSD cause' I like it's init system over FreeBSD's.

ksym

« Reply #26 on: 8 August 2005, 19:31 »
They DO! ;)

I've seen countless people post thigns like ... I prefer _x to FreeBSD cause' I like it's init system over FreeBSD's.

HAHA :D

So my theory about OSS coders being mostly childish wannabe-gurus is mostly true ;)

BTW I like your signature. It shows how blind most GNU/Linux users are. They just don't see faults in their platform, and if you tell them about it (eg. GNU userland breaking ABI too often) they just mark you as an "INFIDEL" and make some excuses.

Eg. when you said that nVidia crashed your BSD 6, then a GNU/Linux guy would not have even mentioned such. Sigh.
People are stupid.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 8 August 2005, 19:41 »
Maybe we aren't blind. Maybe we just could not give a fuck, because our systems _are_ running brilliantly and because the problems you describe and over-hype matter little to us because of that.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

ksym

« Reply #28 on: 8 August 2005, 19:57 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Maybe we aren't blind. Maybe we just could not give a fuck, because our systems _are_ running brilliantly and because the problems you describe and over-hype matter little to us becuase of that.

That is the problem of the current GNU/Linux scene. People just don't give a fuck. And so, they are blind.

Ever tried to make a binary distribution of a software so, that it works in all distributions? It is hard, this I can tell you. I have friends who make proprietary software for GNU/Linux (middleware mostly), and they constantly get frustrated with the fact that there are no widely accepted standards.
Glibc constantly breaks ABI in either stdc++ or other subcomponents, there are no standard versioning schemes for library components ... so one needs to include ALL libraries except glibc with the app, and hope that glibc will stay stable for about 2 years till next release of the app is considered.

Make me a Gnome/KDE GUI app that works out-of-the-box with 5 biggest distributions, and I will reconsider my opinins.
People are stupid.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 8 August 2005, 20:14 »
That is the problem of the current GNU/Linux scene. People just don't give a fuck. And so, they are blind.
I repeat:
Maybe we aren't blind. Maybe we just could not give a fuck, because our systems _are_ running brilliantly and because the problems you describe and over-hype matter little to us because of that.

I guess it's like in politics, whenever the economy is running "brilliantly", not many people give a crap who's in government. And when the economy is in ruins, they turn to extremists or someone else.

Right now, things are working for us. And they're working well.
Ever tried to make a binary distribution of a software so, that it works in all distributions? It is hard, this I can tell you. I have friends who make proprietary software for GNU/Linux (middleware mostly), and they constantly get frustrated with the fact that there are no widely accepted standards.
You could say that the standard way for developers to distribute packages in the free software world is in the form of source tarballs.

Doesn't the firefox installer work on most/all distributions? And vmware?
Make me a Gnome/KDE GUI app that works out-of-the-box with 5 biggest distributions, and I will reconsider my opinins.
Take a look around. GAIM. Rhythmbox. The GIMP. Et cetera.
They work on all (not only the top five) GNU/Linux distributions, and some even work on other operating systems, including Windows (which isn't UNIX-like).

I believe we have an unbeatable standard for distributing software here.