Author Topic: Ubuntu: The Verdict  (Read 3596 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: Ubuntu: The Verdict
« Reply #30 on: 18 July 2005, 22:26 »
By dumbed down, I refer to the cliche "Make something foolproof and only a fool will want to use it".  When I want the software to hold my hand every step of the way, I'll switch to Windows.  I fear that a GNU Installer would make it difficult to build from source by hand, which takes away some of the power.  A good example is gmencoder.  Yes, it is simple to use.  But it can't do half the things that CLI mencoder can do.  I'd rather have the power than the friendliness.

(which is why I think OSX is so great - you can choose to browse the lazy foolproof OSX, or pop open a terminal window and raise hell)

Let's try to prevent this from happening to Linux:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #31 on: 18 July 2005, 23:36 »
Quote from: worker201
By dumbed down, I refer to the cliche "Make something foolproof and only a fool will want to use it". When I want the software to hold my hand every step of the way, I'll switch to Windows. I fear that a GNU Installer would make it difficult to build from source by hand, which takes away some of the power. A good example is gmencoder. Yes, it is simple to use. But it can't do half the things that CLI mencoder can do. I'd rather have the power than the friendliness.
I don't think you have much to worry about.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: Another idea ...
« Reply #32 on: 30 July 2005, 03:19 »
Quote from: ksym
How about we make the packages normal ISO -images?
The packages would contain some XML-files, who would define
the sonames and other required interfaces (services, binaries etc) ... and these files would ALSO define the URL:s where
one could download the needed packages. Like bittorrent or
something.

And if an ISV want's to make a retard-proof click'n'pray
application, he would just include ALL the
libraries/binaries that are not defined in LSB.
Then in the target-distro a user could simply click the
ISO, mdm-platform daemon would loop-mount the ISO,
generate a sandbox (with sonames, ldcache, binary assignements
etc) and Run The Damn thing! =)

This idea I got by browsing some developer comments from
the Darwind project. Damn those Apple guys made a
fine job with that Frameworking system.

Why in the fuck would you want to use ISO images, they do not support real permissions, they do not support lots of things, including tricky filenames and other things, it has a million limitations, ISO images is the worst idea I have EVER heard for a packageing system. I often wonder why the hell such a backwards format is so popular for CDROM and DVD distribution (I usually use UDF myself). Tarballs are fine for package distribution, and package managment systems are often using that.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #33 on: 30 July 2005, 05:27 »
Quote from: worker201
By dumbed down, I refer to the cliche "Make something foolproof and only a fool will want to use it". When I want the software to hold my hand every step of the way, I'll switch to Windows. I fear that a GNU Installer would make it difficult to build from source by hand, which takes away some of the power. A good example is gmencoder. Yes, it is simple to use. But it can't do half the things that CLI mencoder can do. I'd rather have the power than the friendliness.

(which is why I think OSX is so great - you can choose to browse the lazy foolproof OSX, or pop open a terminal window and raise hell)

Let's try to prevent this from happening to Linux:

Ever thought of just clicking "Take no action" and checking the "Always do the selected action" box.

OMG GNOME BRINGS UP A DIAAALOUGGEEEE THAT IS SOOOO ANNOYING WHEN I PLUG MY CAMERA IN ALREADY. OMG THAT IS SO MICROSOFT.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #34 on: 31 July 2005, 00:50 »
Quote from: kintaro
Ever thought of just clicking "Take no action" and checking the "Always do the selected action" box.

OMG GNOME BRINGS UP A DIAAALOUGGEEEE THAT IS SOOOO ANNOYING WHEN I PLUG MY CAMERA IN ALREADY. OMG THAT IS SO MICROSOFT.

KDE rules
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #35 on: 31 July 2005, 03:54 »
KDE sucks. Gnome rules.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #36 on: 31 July 2005, 06:36 »
KDE sucks. Fluxbox rules.

^ fixed.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #37 on: 31 July 2005, 07:05 »
Fluxbox sucks. XFCE rules.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #38 on: 31 July 2005, 08:29 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Fluxbox sucks. XFCE rules.

5'd.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #39 on: 31 July 2005, 14:31 »
WindowMaker rules :D

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #40 on: 1 August 2005, 22:07 »
KDE! \o/
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

ksym

• Kudos: 30
Re: Another idea ...
« Reply #41 on: 1 August 2005, 23:10 »
Why in the fuck would you want to use ISO images, they do not support real permissions, they do not support lots of things, including tricky filenames and other things, it has a million limitations, ISO images is the worst idea I have EVER heard for a packageing system. I often wonder why the hell such a backwards format is so popular for CDROM and DVD distribution (I usually use UDF myself). Tarballs are fine for package distribution, and package managment systems are often using that.

OKAY no ISO-format then.

But some mountable image format is needed. Tar/*zip packages can not be mounted, and so one can't make retard-proof software packages, like the .Application objects in Mac OS X.

Maybe UDF instead of ISO, then you'll be content with my ideas?

And yeah, i've been told I am a fucking asshole plenty of times, but i gotta tell ya this: If GNU/Linux systems are to be adopted by the mainstream, then they need an easier way to install and run software. Currently there are NO standards that would make it possible to create a package, download it in any distro, install and run the program. And for this I blame the chaotic development model the GNU/Linuxed OSS-scene has.
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.
-- My piece of Neo-Zen Wisdom