Author Topic: Will you ever go back to M$ OS?  (Read 7038 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: Will you ever go back to M$ OS?
« Reply #90 on: 23 August 2005, 06:37 »
Quote from: worker201
Nice work, Jim!

Of course not everyone has Void Main to help them out. Or, more to the point, not everyone realises that there are great knowledgeable helpers like Void Main out there. Really, Linux is like having 5 or 6 personal advisors for every program on my computer! If you get into the community and report bugs and ask questions and watch mailing lists, you'll be Linuxized in no time at all. As I have said before, the learning curve of Linux is only a problem to the stupid and lazy.

Personally I don't believe in stupid. I think people are just not interested or lazy. Nobody is born stupid, its a choice.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #91 on: 23 August 2005, 18:27 »
Interesting thought. I myself believe strongly in "choice", in most of life's matters. To this day, it has been mostly spiritual strength and disease resistance (immune system). As for actual capabilities - I'm not decided yet.

But then, if you said a person can choose whether or not they behave stupidly, whether or not they can think logically, WON they can think in abstract meanings, WONTC do what others can't - where is the boundary between all that and deciding who you are born? Where you are born? What (species, race, class) you are born into?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #92 on: 23 August 2005, 22:09 »
Will you ever go back to M$ OS?

nope.

why would i?
why would anybody even ask this?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #93 on: 23 August 2005, 23:54 »
Quote from: kintaro
Personally I don't believe in stupid. I think people are just not interested or lazy. Nobody is born stupid, its a choice.

1. Your theory is cute, but you have to admit that there is a difference between my brain and Einstein's brain.  Compared to him, we all look like idiots.

2. Stupid was perhaps the wrong word there.  But it seemed more concise than "unable to properly adapt to a new environment".  Grandpa and Grandma aren't going to be able to grasp Linux.  My dad can barely manage Windows.  Christ, there are professors here that can't even manage OSX - that's scary!  And one professor doesn't even have a computer.  He just completed a 650 page book - on a typewriter!  None of these people I mention are stupid - in fact, most of them are geniuses.  But they will forever be computer illiterate.  They just aren't mentally prepared for an electronic environment.  Us somewhat younger folks, we get exposed earlier, and take to it better.

This raises an interesting question - there are people alive right now who have never known a world without Windows.  Will they on the whole be more creative with computers, since they have always been around?  Or will they be more boring with computers, since they are so commonplace?  Only time will tell.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #94 on: 24 August 2005, 01:19 »
From what I experienced, people don't want to change anything.

Take Firefox for example. It's better and faster, and it's fully usable by IE users, in the most scariest detail.

Still, people fear changing anything on their computer.

Jenda

« Reply #95 on: 24 August 2005, 18:14 »
Quote from: Refalm
From what I experienced, people don't want to change anything.

Take Firefox for example. It's better and faster, and it's fully usable by IE users, in the most scariest detail.

Still, people fear changing anything on their computer.

That's true. Any good arguments I could use to convince my father? (apart from being faster, better etc.)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #96 on: 24 August 2005, 18:49 »
Quote from: Jenda
That's true. Any good arguments I could use to convince my father? (apart from being faster, better etc.)
Freedom. :thumbup:

I actually never mention "freedom" whenever I'm talking about GNU to non-techies, I just say "It's only right.", "Microsoft are only interested in money, not making good software.", etc.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #97 on: 24 August 2005, 19:24 »
If he is fine with Windows, why FORCE him to change?
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Jenda

« Reply #98 on: 24 August 2005, 19:26 »
Freedom in software is a concept most people outside the alternative-OS world will not understand easily.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #99 on: 24 August 2005, 19:59 »
Hrm.

Personally I don't try to convince anyone that GNU/Linux is the best operating system for them. Because: a) I am and elitest prick and I hate n00bs enough already without them phoning me with their Linux problems. b) It isn't the best operating system. c) It is up to them to goto the newsagents and buy a book explaining how to install and use a Linux system with a free copy of Fedora Core with it. Hell thats exactly how I got into Linux, I got one of those n00b books from the newsagents.

If people want to use Linux they can do it on their fucking own. I am willing to answer questions I see, as long as they arn't completely retarded, then I just ignore them.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #100 on: 25 August 2005, 00:00 »
Quote from: skyman8081
If he is fine with Windows, why FORCE him to change?
Are we forcing him? No, we're trying to convince him.

What the fuck is it with some ppl here?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #101 on: 25 August 2005, 02:28 »
I think stupidity is a comparison, not a truth. ;)

Jenda

« Reply #102 on: 25 August 2005, 18:07 »
I once heard: Everything is relative, just stupidity is absolute...