Author Topic: Microsoft sues Google  (Read 1084 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Microsoft sues Google
« on: 20 July 2005, 14:39 »
Microsoft is suing Google for hiring a man in China who until Monday had worked for Microsoft. Microsoft claims that Dr Lee, the man in question, isn
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Microsoft sues Google
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2005, 15:06 »
Quote from: cahult
Microsoft is suing Google for hiring a man in China who until Monday had worked for Microsoft. Microsoft claims that Dr Lee, the man in question, isn
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2005, 18:05 »
wow wasnt it like only 10% of all lawsuits go to trial, the rest they settle?

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2005, 20:51 »
how lame can a company get.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2005, 22:01 »
Quote from: noob
how lame can a company get.
I think any company would do it, given the opportunity.
How lame is the law? To allow this utter crap... No wonder Microsoft are what they are and do what they do. The law allows them to.
MS signed a deal with some dude to say that he (among other things) can't work for the competition for at least a year. How LAME is the law to allow such a thing to stand up?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2005, 23:19 »
Microsoft sues Google for a practise of which Microsoft is doing for years. How clever.

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2005, 00:51 »
from
http://p2pnet.net/story/5627

MS sues Google for poaching

Kai-Fu Lee

p2pnet.net News:- Microsoft is suing Google for tempting away Kai-Fu Lee, a man Bill Gates saw as an important component in his on-going efforts to woo China, and who Google clearly sees in the same light.

“Microsoft said in the suit that Lee is deeply familiar with its confidential business and technological strategies, not only in the search business but also in China," says the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "Microsoft accused Google of ‘intentionally assisting’ Lee in the alleged violation of his contract."

Lee's new job at Google, leading an research-and-development center in China, “violates terms of his employment contract that keep him from working in a directly competitive position for a year after his departure,” says the story.

Microsoft ceo Bill Gates is so keen to get it on with the world’s largest remaining communist state that he’s allowing his company to perform as a censor. Surfers on Microsoft's new China portal are forbidden to use the words ‘democracy’ and ‘freedom’ or the phrase ‘human rights’ while MSN China works with the state-funded Shanghai Alliance Investment Ltd (SAIL).

Google News China edition, in turn, blocked news from within China.

"For users inside the People's Republic of China, we have chosen not to include sources that are inaccessible from within that country," it blogged.

Meanwhile, "Google is fully aware of Lee's promises to Microsoft, but has chosen to ignore them, and has encouraged Lee to violate them," the suit alleges.

Microsoft, Yahoo! and Google have all been hiring senior engineers from academia, the Mozilla open source project and each other, says PC Pro, going on:

"As projects become larger, the search for talent becomes ever more acute. This week at the Microsoft Faculty Summit, Bill Gates said he was 'very worried' about the lack of talented computer science graduates. He noted that ' Microsoft is trying to hire every great college graduate who has basic computer science skills and we think is highly talented. When I sit down and review projects here inside the company, the topic that always comes up is how is the hiring going?' This is a situation likely to be happening in large software companies across the world."

Interestingly, Lee worked for Apple, for six years, "most recently as vp of the company's interactive media group which developed QuickTime, QuickDraw 3D, QuickTime VR and PlainTalk speech technologies," says Microsoft, going on:

"Prior to his position at Apple, he was an assistant professor at Carnegie Mellon University, where he developed the world's first speaker-independent continuous speech-recognition system. While at Carnegie Mellon, Lee also developed the world-champion computer program that plays the game "Othello" and that defeated the human world champion in 1988."

Bill Gates said he was 'very worried' about the lack of talented computer science graduates. He noted that ' Microsoft is trying to hire every great college graduate who has basic computer science skills and we think is highly talented.

Oh! That explains hireing the 10 year old girl. priceless.

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2005, 09:22 »
i have basic computer science skills. EMAIL ME MICROSOFT I WANT A JOB!!!! no one sees what is going on except those of us on here that hate M$ (bout 200% of us then). if they cant have the best of somthing, they will sue whoever has it. i am currently, when i have time, writing somthing in basic. it means that any one can write advanced windows progs, without any kind of compiler (assuming M$ hasnt screwed with the basic language aswell). the only bad thing is i have to write an entire API set for it, although, these progs will be able to run in linux aswell if somone here is good at linux programing. anyway, i bet M$ will sue me for making that (i am using M$VB6 as its the only basic i have).
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2005, 16:49 »
Microsoft had a deal with some fella to say that he can't work for the competition for one year. The fella gets a job with Google, breaking the deal with Microsoft. Microsoft sues Google. WTF!?

Even if Google encouraged Dr. Lee, that should not matter because Google didn't sign a deal with Microsoft to say that they wouldn't encourage their employees to work for Google.

This is complete bollox.

[offtopic]I heard somewhere that Google were the best company in Ireland (at least) to work for.[/offtopic]

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2005, 17:11 »
Microsoft is just looking to sue someone because they have been losing a lot of lawsuits lately, and Aprently they want to lose another one
sig.