Author Topic: HP Propelling Linux Into Truly 'Big' Time  (Read 3228 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Re: HP Propelling Linux Into Truly 'Big' Time
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2005, 18:30 »
Hey look, an article with no comments or even a quote from the article by the OP. Quality thread if ever I saw one.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2005, 18:51 »
Quote from: xyle_one
Hey look, an article with no comments or even a quote from the article by the OP. Quality thread if ever I saw one.
yep.

Well, I could just quote the whole article and not bother with the link.

Thread bolloxed even more.

You want me to say something?

We're on our wayyy!!

now, why don't you comment on the article xyle_one?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2005, 19:03 »
Because I didnt fucking post it. If you create a thread and cant even take the time to make it worthwhile, why should I even bother?

This thread fucking sucks.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2005, 19:04 »
Because I didnt fucking post it. If you create a thread and cant even take the time to make it worthwhile, why should I even bother?
Because I did comment on it.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2005, 19:09 »
You posted a one word reply to an article that you couldnt even be assed to quote in the OP. Its a worthless thread, no content, and no direction. Were you hoping to start a discussion? If not, why even bother posting on a message board?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2005, 19:22 »
Its a worthless thread, no content, and no direction. Were you hoping to start a discussion? If not, why even bother posting on a message board?
I was actually referring to the "we're on our way" comment.

In the original post, I was informing fellow Microsuck members that HP is propelling (eek!) Linux into truly 'big' time.
Pity I can't delete this derailed thread :(

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2005, 19:31 »
Try posting actual content instead of this postcount++ bullshit. And can't you just close this thread?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2005, 19:56 »
And can't you just close this thread?
No, unless I'm missing something.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2005, 22:09 »
I'm delighted to inform fellow Microsuck members that another company has finally seen the light and is diving hed first into free software.

In a move that suggests
Linux is finally ready for prime time, Hewlett-Packard is giving the free software a bigger role on some of its toughest servers.

Martin Fink, long HP's (NYSE:HPQ - News) point man on Linux, now oversees the NonStop unit.

As the name implies, these are industrial-strength computers -- HP's most expensive -- built to never break down.

Fink's mission: Make sure Linux and other open-source programs that HP looks to use are up to NonStop standards.

And that mission remains unchanged after HP on Tuesday said it would cut its work force by 10% and make several other structural changes to boost its results, part of a long-expected shake-up from new Chief Executive Mark Hurd.

Open-source software has caught on fast as techies embrace the freedom it brings. Unlike most commercial applications, open-source software lets anyone see the underlying code. People can copy it, tweak it and give away their improved versions.

But Linux and other open-source projects have mostly stuck to less demanding tasks on smaller machines.

That's changing. Linux is working its way into bigger systems, and Fink says it won't be long before the software rules the data center server segment.

Bringing open-source software to the NonStop platform is a big part of HP's plan to catch that wave. Fink recently spoke with IBD about his plans for the unit.

IBD: How did you get to oversee two distinct parts of HP's business, Linux and NonStop?

Fink: It's not all that intuitive to a lot of people.

I want to stress that there's no temporary assignment here. My job with the open-source operation continues to be permanent, and my job with the NonStop group is a permanent assignment.

IBD: How are the jobs related?

Fink: Over the last five years, we have seen Linux grow from the edge of the network to running infrastructure to starting to grow into (other) lines of business.

If you map that out over time, what you see is Linux getting to the point of really penetrating the data center.

Now, we could have lots of arguments about what the timing is and the degree of penetration. Some will argue that there's already penetration today. That's probably true.

Others will say Linux is still not ready for the data center. That's also probably true. It depends on the customer.

IBD: Is Linux ready for NonStop?

Fink: Our engineers were already working together in a number of areas to combine open-source and NonStop stuff in innovative and creative ways.

Then we saw the opportunity to get ahead of this curve.

We know that's where open source and Linux will end up. We can start to drive and be ahead of that growth in open source.

We're taking all the experience, knowledge and capabilities we have in NonStop and seeing how we can bring all of those to open source.

IBD: What's your first order of business?

Fink: I still need to run NonStop as the NonStop business. So there's a piece of that in which I put Linux and open source aside and realize NonStop is responsible for running the stock exchanges of the world and connecting most cell phones.

Over the past seven weeks or so, I've been making sure I understand that business. There's an expectation that's very high from those customers that the business continues to run unaffected.

IBD: What about your Linux and open-source duties?

Fink: Another piece of the job is connecting the dots (between NonStop and open-source software).

IBD: What's going on there?

Fink: We have a number of things we're looking at -- some of those things I'm not ready to talk about yet.

They include everything from how to potentially get Linux running on NonStop to taking the 200 open-source projects that run on NonStop and turning that into 2,000 open-source projects running on NonStop.

There's a variety of other activities we think are interesting and will bring a lot of enterprise-class credibility to Linux and open source.

IBD: Your rivals have embraced open-source software to some degree. How is HP's approach different?

Fink: Dell (NasdaqNM:DELL - News) has yet to make moves to accelerate or support Linux and open source in any form in the data center.

They're basically jamming boxes through the supply chain. If Linux lands on some of them, they're happy. So there's no real competitive angle there.

IBD: What about Sun Microsystems (NasdaqNM:SUNW - News)?

Fink: Sun has tried a couple of different things. They've flip-flopped a number of times (between) "We love Linux" and "We hate Linux." Right now, they're on the "We hate (Linux software seller) Red Hat" (NasdaqNM:RHAT - News) bandwagon.

Solaris 10 (on Intel-compatible systems, which Sun recently made open source) has not gained a lot of traction from what we've seen. They're not a big competitive force.

IBD: And what about IBM (NYSE:IBM - News)? It's been a huge Linux booster.

Fink: IBM has long touted Linux on the mainframe.

Yet we don't see a lot of installations out there being used in a constructive way.

Rather than just do Linux on a mainframe, we want to bring those mainframe-class capabilities to Linux and open source. That's the part IBM hasn't done.

IBM talks loud about open source, but I don't see a lot of credibility there.

IBM hates the GPL.

(GPL is the general public license used by Linux and many other open-source programs. It requires anyone using the software to offer offshoot products as free, open software.)

They do everything they can to avoid the GPL because they don't like the GPL model.

What they're after is to chain (customers) to (its middleware platform) WebSphere and (its database software) DB/2.

IBD: Which makes sense from a shareholder perspective. What is HP after?

Fink: The Linux market is growing 30% to 35% a year. Our goal is to capture as much of that market as we can as it grows -- all of it if we can.

Happy now xyle_one?

Fuck you for fucking up this thread by being sarcastic instead of giving constructive criticism.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2005, 23:12 »
Fuck off, he could have at least put some effort into his post.

ksym

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2005, 23:21 »

Well fucky fucky fuckety fuck you fucking fucktard fuck <3

Got auto-login, so replying to these kind of threads needs no effort at all.

THIS IS OPEN SOURCE SCENE DOODS YAY SPREAD THE WORD OF OUR LORD THE SAVIOUR etcetc

This is fun. More replys plz?
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.
-- My piece of Neo-Zen Wisdom

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2005, 00:07 »

So, that's no reason for you to fuck up a perfectly good thread, retard. :thumbdwn:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2005, 00:17 »
I wonder how many servers they will sell?
sig.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2005, 04:05 »
If I remember right, HP was the first major vendor to sell linux-loaded desktops and laptops.

Although few models, and they arne't really out there for the general public  (only enterprise level), it was nice to see _some_ support.

I am just wondering WHY they are waiting to offer linux for consumer laptops.

Everytime i look at laptops on dell, hp/compaq, gateway, ect, i always see "[insert name here] recommends MS Windows XP Professional".

I thought MS was no longer allowed to lock-in a vendor to only one OS. If this is right, then surely HP and other companies could benefit to selling Linux, as it would limit the support calls. Contrary to popular beleif, linux is easier to use because of the lack of usability problems (virii, spyware, corruption, ect). They would probably have fewer support calls

Granted, they probably don't pay a lot for support staff, given they are in India now, but still...

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger