Author Topic: in need of a linux operating system  (Read 2613 times)

Cat OS

• Kudos: 10
in need of a linux operating system
« on: 29 July 2005, 22:41 »
ok i ned a linux based operating system that i can instal on my laptop with has a original amd k6  with 93 megs of ram and a ten gig hard drive i need something that has a music player that suports mp3 as well as other formats and a vidioplayer it has to be compatable with wireless cards. can anyone help me?

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Re: in need of a linux operating system
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2005, 22:42 »
Gentoo.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2005, 23:14 »
Google

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2005, 23:37 »
Quote from: Cat OS
ok i ned a linux based operating system that i can instal on my laptop with has a original amd k6 with 93 megs of ram and a ten gig hard drive i need something that has a music player that suports mp3 as well as other formats and a vidioplayer it has to be compatable with wireless cards. can anyone help me?

I would recommend starting off with VectorLinux 5.1, which should fit your demands.  It comes standard with XMMS (for MP3s, Oggs, and really any other audio file you can throw at it) and MPlayer (which will handle your AVIs, WMVs, MPGs, and so on).  If you require a more robust GUI, I would recommend Xine or VideoLAN VLC, both of which we can help you setup from source, though neither has been tested with those hardware specs.  Finally, wireless card config should be built-in, but it may take a bit of doing the first time through.  Both I and WMD have been through that stage successfully, so feel free to ask us any questions you may have on that front.

Have fun! :tux:

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Cat OS

« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2005, 00:04 »
thanks ore ill most likly contact you   becuse ill have questions

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2005, 00:20 »
I would advice using a lightweight window manager instead of Gnome or KDE.

With only 93mb of ram, it would just make your computer a little more responsive to use XFCE, enlightenment, or which ever WM you prefer.

Gentoo would optimize your performace, but how would you rate your linux experience?

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2005, 00:25 »
I used to have a K6 with a 10MB HD and 128MB RAM.  Ran Suse 8 on it for awhile, and then switched to Slackware 9.1.  Worked fine.  Gnome and KDE were both well-behaved, although they have probably gotten bigger since then.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2005, 00:30 »
So you guys are telling him to use Gentoo when he's probably never touched a Linux distribution in his life?  Im a Debian fan but I wouldn't really suggest it to a newbie -- at least if he's installing from scratch; once setup it's another story.

Here's my first recommendation, download and burn both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu live CDs.  These do not require you to do a full installation of Linux, or repartition your hard drive.  If your hardware is supported with the live CDs, it should be fine with an actual install.  Your experience will be slow since it's running entirely off a CD ROM, and has no swap space, but you'll get a feel for things.

If the live CDs work out well, you can download the full install of Ubuntu or Kubuntu.  From there you can look at getting some lighter window managers, which should be a breeze with apt-get and some minor configuration.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2005, 00:43 »
I'm not sure 93mb of ram is enough for Ubuntu/KUbuntu live cd.

Maybe 'Damn Small Linux' would work out for you. Last I checked, It was about a 50mb download and has fluxbox (i think) as the default WM.

I agree about the Gentoo being a bad suggestion for a first distro

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2005, 01:48 »
Quote from: bedouin
So you guys are telling him to use Gentoo when he's probably never touched a Linux distribution in his life? Im a Debian fan but I wouldn't really suggest it to a newbie -- at least if he's installing from scratch; once setup it's another story.

Here's my first recommendation, download and burn both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu live CDs. These do not require you to do a full installation of Linux, or repartition your hard drive. If your hardware is supported with the live CDs, it should be fine with an actual install. Your experience will be slow since it's running entirely off a CD ROM, and has no swap space, but you'll get a feel for things.

If the live CDs work out well, you can download the full install of Ubuntu or Kubuntu. From there you can look at getting some lighter window managers, which should be a breeze with apt-get and some minor configuration.

You can also order free live and installation cds off http://ubuntu.com/ (and they will pay for shipping!):thumbup:

Cat OS

« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2005, 02:08 »
ubuntu was... how should i say this... ran like crap... crash often due to errors and was generaly a headace and as for my experience its.... nill

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2005, 02:58 »
Quote from: Cat OS
ubuntu was... how should i say this... ran like crap... crash often due to errors and was generaly a headace and as for my experience its.... nill

Yeah, I can see that.  Ubuntu... on a K6... with 93 megs RAM.  Guys, it's cool, but it's not THAT versatile.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Cat OS

« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2005, 03:59 »
right now im installing vector so ill have an update on how it works out tomorow

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2005, 05:31 »
I would suggest Trustix Secure Linux, it has some neat documentation on its website and a good mailing list where people can help you set it up, it is also damn small, has fuck all services on by default (postfix, and thats about it, you even need to turn on SSH manually).

It is easy to administer and manage because it is based on Red-Hat however it is VERY minimal. It also has swup which allows you to install packages easily, its a great distribution. You can install Window Managers, X, xfce, xine, mplayer, xmms, whatever later on.

Cat OS

« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2005, 06:17 »
ok i havevector instaled but when installing it didnt install my linksys wireless g card how can i install it