Author Topic: in need of a linux operating system  (Read 2608 times)

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Re: in need of a linux operating system
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2005, 09:25 »
I'm still trying to figure out how that guy could have 93mb of RAM.

What distro should my gaming box become? It'll basically have to be able to run Windows-based poker clients and the icculus.org version of Freespace 2.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #16 on: 30 July 2005, 11:39 »
Mathematically speaking, 93MB RAM does seem a bit strange.  Unless his laptop has like 4 memory slots, and 2 of them are filled with 1/2MB chips.

He probably means 96, which is a 64 and a 32.

Cat OS

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #17 on: 30 July 2005, 20:13 »
this is how i only have 93 megs..... its a compaq presorio laptop 1626 and the bios is one of the worls worst mistakes..

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #18 on: 30 July 2005, 22:06 »
Quote from: Cat OS
ok i havevector instaled but when installing it didnt install my linksys wireless g card how can i install it

Depends on the model.  Which is it?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Cat OS

« Reply #19 on: 31 July 2005, 00:18 »
its a linksys wireless G notbook adapter modle # WPC54G ver 2

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2005, 00:54 »

i have 1 of those, i wouldant get ur hopes up i bought a new card that had linux support and wasnt crap (Orinoco gold 802.11a\b\g Cardbus card)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2005, 03:34 »

That's a Broadcom-based card.  They are an enemy of Linux ever since they refused to provide drivers or documentation.  You're screwed, save ndiswrapper.  That works.  http://ndiswrapper.sf.net  Otherwise, you can get another card.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #22 on: 1 August 2005, 01:23 »
Quote from: xyle_one
Google

Good answer, but I'd point him here first.
:)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #23 on: 1 August 2005, 01:52 »
Picking a GNU/Linux distro is not exactly easy.
Cat OS mightn't even have used GNU/Linux before.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Cat OS

« Reply #24 on: 1 August 2005, 03:46 »
*takes a look athttp://ndiswrapper.sf.net :confused:  :nothappy: :fu: :mad:    :fu: *

lost...

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #25 on: 1 August 2005, 03:55 »
*takes a look athttp://ndiswrapper.sf.net :confused:  :nothappy: :fu: :mad:    :fu: *

lost...

I'm talking to some of the other members about this, hopefully we'll have a quick tutorial slapped together in the next 24 hours.  If it's what I think it is, all you'll need to do is download the source to a separate computer, then use the ethernet cable to transfer the files to your laptop (we'll detail how to do this if you don't have a CD burner).  I assume you have a home broadband router, do you have an additional patch cable (so we can put both boxen online for the duration)?  If so, you could just download the source directly.  Details will be forthcoming, but I'd really appreciate a direct contact through AIM or Y!IM or something to speed the process.  ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

ksym

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #26 on: 1 August 2005, 22:52 »
ok i ned a linux based operating system that i can instal on my laptop with has a original amd k6 with 93 megs of ram and a ten gig hard drive i need something that has a music player that suports mp3 as well as other formats and a vidioplayer it has to be compatable with wireless cards. can anyone help me?

1 GB hard disk?

Sorry, no can do. No GNU/Linux system would fit there with the components you just described ...

You see, GNU/Linuxes are all OSS systems, so they constantly
evolve and change when you update them. Your distro will change it's "base-system" layout at least every year, and many independent software component might drag in some extra dependencies when upgraded. Nuff said.

Even the leanest system would need 5 GB to do any good. And if you refuse to update your system, you can't install new software in it, since the guys who compile the binary packages seem to link to the newest components available ...

Get at least 5 GB HD, and then you could try Slackware. Otherwise i'd suggest you stick with Winblows 98 SE or some other ancient piece of crap OS.
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.
-- My piece of Neo-Zen Wisdom

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #27 on: 1 August 2005, 23:05 »
Quote from: ksym
1 GB hard disk?

Sorry, no can do. No GNU/Linux system would fit there with the components you just described ...

Um, he said TEN gigs, and Vector fits those specs quite nicely.
As for the one gig, have you never heard of Damn Small Linux?  Nobody said he needs KPat or any one of a dozen useless side packages included in the GNU distributions.  ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Cat OS

« Reply #28 on: 1 August 2005, 23:45 »
were in guiken did you find one gig in my paragraph...

ksym

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #29 on: 2 August 2005, 00:08 »
Quote from: Orethrius
Um, he said TEN gigs, and Vector fits those specs quite nicely.

Fuck I've never learned to read properly. Sucks to be me ...

Vector will go fine with 10 gigs.

As for the one gig, have you never heard of Damn Small Linux?  

DSL is fine, but it can not be extended very easily ...
I mean, they've stripped away the package management database, so that one can't know what components are there.

Nobody said he needs KPat or any one of a dozen useless side packages included in the GNU distributions.  ;)

Agree.

But still, the problem is that GNU/Linux systems have no good base-system spesifications, so that package maintainers need to drag in extra dependencies. Or maybe this applies to all OSS systems?
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.
-- My piece of Neo-Zen Wisdom