Author Topic: Running Windows for 3 weeks no viruses and no anti-virus!  (Read 4443 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Running Windows for 3 weeks no viruses and no anti-virus!
« Reply #30 on: 4 August 2005, 18:50 »
Or you could just use a free antivirus and only access the Internet with a limited user account. I recomend using a scanner that doesn't have to be memory resident so it won't slow your system down too much.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #31 on: 4 August 2005, 19:02 »
i have a free anti-virus right now with a scanner but, i have an athlon 64 3000 so i dont really notice a difference in perofrmence while gaming if it is on or not.

I just gotta find a 64bit linux distro, I tried mandrake and, i thought it was garbage
sig.

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #32 on: 4 August 2005, 19:25 »
Quote from: Refalm
Okay, now I'm really confused, even more confused than learning Active Directory (which gave me headaches from the chaos and the mess).

Active Directory is pretty darn logical to me. If you have any questions about AD, feel free to ask. I know a lot about it.
:)

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #33 on: 4 August 2005, 20:02 »
Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head
i have a free anti-virus right now with a scanner but, i have an athlon 64 3000 so i dont really notice a difference in perofrmence while gaming if it is on or not.

I just gotta find a 64bit linux distro, I tried mandrake and, i thought it was garbage

Mandrake sucks, try debian :thumbup:
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: 4 August 2005, 21:01 »
debian does not work with net install on my MOBO, guess i have to go for 14CD install
sig.

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #35 on: 5 August 2005, 03:40 »
Quote from: skyman8081
Windows is not as bad as what the people here want it to be.

then you should use it.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #36 on: 5 August 2005, 05:08 »
I do.

Pillock.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #37 on: 6 August 2005, 04:27 »
My WinXP Sp2 never has spyware/viruses but our family Win2000 SP4 is constantly getting suspicious files in the System32 folder. Its stopped now that I've made them use Firefox instead of IE. Funny that...

But you only get these programs if
A. you are stupid enough to download them (Kazaa), or
B. use unsafe programs (IE)

I doubt anyone in these forums fall under these catagories

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 6 August 2005, 04:43 »
If you're forced to use IE (like at work or for pages that won't show in Firefox) you can make it nearly as secure as Firefox by disabling ActiveX scripting and controls.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #39 on: 6 August 2005, 07:05 »
If pages won't show in Firefox, they are wrong.  Think about browsers as spell-checkers.  Firefox goes through and checks the spelling of every word, and then either passes the document or fails the document.  IE goes through and checks every word, and then if some are misspelled, it says "eh, no big deal" and passes the document.  That's a pretty lame metaphor, but any code that IE will interpret and Firefox will not is madeup bullshit code, and the developers should be punished.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: 6 August 2005, 15:48 »
i agree,

I did the test somewhere cant remember where though that had a picture that was made with new code that most browsers didnt support, IE displayed pixels all over the place and firefox almost had the complete picture
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: 6 August 2005, 15:57 »
Quote from: worker201
If pages won't show in Firefox, they are wrong.  Think about browsers as spell-checkers.  Firefox goes through and checks the spelling of every word, and then either passes the document or fails the document.  IE goes through and checks every word, and then if some are misspelled, it says "eh, no big deal" and passes the document.  That's a pretty lame metaphor, but any code that IE will interpret and Firefox will not is madeup bullshit code, and the developers should be punished.

I already knew this, but how does this help me? if I'm looking for the best deal for my car insurance I'm not going to refuse the cheapest firm because their website doesn't support Firefox. :rolleyes:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #42 on: 6 August 2005, 16:08 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I already knew this, but how does this help me? if I'm looking for the best deal for my car insurance I'm not going to refuse the cheapest firm because their website doesn't support Firefox. :rolleyes:
Are there many websites out there that don't work in Firefox?
I've never had a problem with it. The worst website I use often is o2.ie, but it's still more than usable.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: 6 August 2005, 16:26 »
i have seen some sites that work right in firefox but dont work right in IE, No seriously
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: 6 August 2005, 16:39 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Are there many websites out there that don't work in Firefox?
I've never had a problem with it. The worst website I use often is o2.ie, but it's still more than usable.

I didn't have a problem until I started looking for car insurance.

Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head
i have seen some sites that work right in firefox but dont work right in IE, No seriously

I have as well.