Author Topic: Longhorn build 4051 debuts... and PDC 2003  (Read 1580 times)

feetpete

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.feetmedia.co.uk
Longhorn build 4051 debuts... and PDC 2003
« Reply #15 on: 6 December 2003, 01:38 »
QUOTE: Don't be stupid. I'm sure you'll be able to disable the beastly looking thing on the right side of the screen. In fact, I bet you'll be able to move it all over the place, and perhaps un-dock it as it shows in this image: Un-dockable clock (while magnified)

Accusing people of being stupid is not a wise move, especially as they're not following the monopoly that Gates is running with Windows.  And I hardly think that the ability to move a graphical element all over the place as you suggest is ground-breaking stuff, but then again I'm not new to all this computers lark as most people who use Windows will be.

Also, it seems for those that are hard of vision, you'll be able to magnify the clock as well, meaning i'm sure you'll be able to make it smaller. Or better yet, kill the thing all together.

Kill the thing from the screen, but like a lot of Windows software (lightwave excepted of course) it runs in the background whether you want it to or not, unless you kill the process, but knowing Microsoft's insistence on integration, doing something like that will make the system even more unstable than it already is.

As far as "hogging memory" goes, running a clock -hardly- takes any memory.

Under ordinary circumstances, quite correct.  I remember AmigaOS being able to do several things at once (Photogenics, DeluxePaint, Lightwave3.5 etc) using only 32 megs of RAM and a 40MHz processor, and it was able to do so rather quickly in comparison to a 486 DX2-66 at the time with the same amount of RAM.

However, this is a Windows app developed by the same company as the OS itself, and therefore subject to the same bad case of bloating as the OS itself, and no doubt it will become a core piece of the OS, just like IE has become (in blatant defiance of monopoly ruling).

Don't get me wrong, it will have its downsides, but you can at least come up with a few useful ones that microsoft's return customers will actually view as a downside.

There you have a point.  It's unlikely that people will be able to see past Microsoft's advertising and make an informed choice.

EDIT: And I also forgot to mention the potential for disaster that WinFS is likely to expose to the novice user in security of their files.  Notice ho they're trying to change or hide how the underlying Filesystem works and categorising things as information?  No more searching for files on your HArd Drive by navigating directories/folders/drawers or whatever you call them on any particular OS.  Of course people could get too used to this and then not worry about the hidden and "system" or Secret files as I prefer to call them, that could potentially contain personal and sensitive data that could be picked up by hackers or by MS themselves.  Anyone want to call me paranoid?  Go right ahead but that'll only prove my point (especially if no-one's willing to investigate this possibility themselves).

[ December 05, 2003: Message edited by: Feet Pete ]

Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty
IT Technician: Glass is twice as big as it needs to be