Author Topic: Linux on VPC on a Mac  (Read 1129 times)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Linux on VPC on a Mac
« on: 15 August 2005, 05:02 »
I have VPC 6.01 on a 1.25GHz eMac. How do you set up Linux to be able to get out on the net through OS X? I got the live Knoppix cd to run by creating a blank OS as Win98 or Win2000. The XP emulation does something strange and the cd can't be read, so the boot crashes.

I'm still living on dialup at home, but if I install the Windows extensions on a VPC Win98 SE and give it network privileges I can go to Yahoo's music site and stream music in the virtual OS on a Mac. Knoppix told me I don't even have a nic, and of course, the extensions intended for Windozes won't work in Knoppix.

Dual boot is risky, that's why I don't just install a ppc Linux, and few versions of Linux support dialup on a mac (maybe Yellow Dog does). Plus Open Office for Mac is always a step or two behind the pc version. The Knoppix pc OO is more advanced than the native X version.

DBX_5

• Kudos: 0
Re: Linux on VPC on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2005, 05:10 »
There are native linux distributions that are made to run on an apple CPU - have you heard of these before?
DBX_5's information
IP Address : 70.69.169.130
Host Address : S01060020ed62e618.va.shawcable.net
E-mail : [email protected]

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Re: Linux on VPC on a Mac
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2005, 05:23 »
Ubuntu's live ppc version runs fine, but can't dial out.

I've run Red Hat 7.2 on a P2 with a isa hardware modem and had no problem dialing out. But mac modems are not well supported in Linux. The internal modem on this eMac is a Motorola SM56.

This eMac only has a 40 GB internal hd. I have 1/2 TB on external drives but haven't found a way to boot from firewire on a mac unless it's a Mac os.