Author Topic: Linspire Questions  (Read 3053 times)

anonomouse

• Kudos: 10
Linspire Questions
« on: 15 August 2005, 20:03 »
Does anyone have any experience with that OS?  I am a novice user. I downloaded Vector Linux but its so cluttered I had much trouble figuring things out. Linspire sounds very easy to use since it is supposed to be "like" windows in its operation. Thanx in advance.
PS...
 Not very bright with computers;)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Linspire Questions
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2005, 20:23 »
i know ubuntu is easy to use, not sure about linspire
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2005, 20:26 »
Not to be mean or anything, but if you are not very bright with computers, then perhaps you should stay away from Linux.  No matter what anybody says or what kind of advancements there are, Linux is hard.  Get a Mac or stick with Windows.

If you really want to use Linux, you are going to have to devote a lot more of your time and effort to studying computers and how they work.  In Windows or OSX, you can get away with not reading any manuals or helpfiles, but in Linux, there is serious study and research involved in almost every task.  Linux is an operating system designed by computer enthusiasts for computer enthusiasts.  If you are not a computer enthusiast, you are going to become frustrated and angry, and you will never get anything done.

Of course, once you pass the learning curve, you will be amazing your friends with your processing power and freedom, and you will be a lord among flies.  But you have to want it to get it.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2005, 20:38 »
Quote from: worker201
Of course, once you pass the learning curve, you will be amazing your friends with your processing power and freedom, and you will be a lord among flies. But you have to want it to get it.

And that's the best part of Linux, for me at least. ;)

I've used Linspire before, and I really didn't like it AT ALL.

Slackware 10.1 is great though, although I wouldn't recommend using it as your first flavour of Linux.

I started off on Redhat 9, which was brilliant, even if a bit dated. :)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2005, 22:48 »
Here's some useful UNIX ebooks.

EDIT:
Sorry, Link removed.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2005, 00:23 by KernelPanic »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Duo Maxwell

• VIP
  • Kudos: 232
    • http://www.homepage.mac.com/duo_maxwell1/
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2005, 23:02 »
I have used it on live CD, it's alright. I'll upload it to you if you want. Just gotta remake a .iso of it from the live CD since I dunno what I did with the original. It's the official Linspire 5-0 Live CD that they where giving away for free on bittorrent from they're site a few months back.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2005, 23:31 »
Good to see you Duo Maxwell.:)
What hapend to Microsucks?
Why did you close it?
Was it competition from this site? :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Duo Maxwell

• VIP
  • Kudos: 232
    • http://www.homepage.mac.com/duo_maxwell1/
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2005, 00:06 »
Social experiment gone bad. perhaps in the future it will be reopened and James will have his Root acount back.

DBX_5

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2005, 19:06 »
social experiment? Is that what you call a good forum, where you never posted anything or ever bothered to become an active member? Except when you decided to trash it?
DBX_5's information
IP Address : 70.69.169.130
Host Address : S01060020ed62e618.va.shawcable.net
E-mail : [email protected]

MarathoN

« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2005, 03:26 »
I don't think Linspire is a good starting point for a new Linux user. :thumbdwn:

I mean, I started off on Redhat 9, without knowing ANYTHING about Linux at all, I managed to learn a few commands and then I was away. :)

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2005, 13:27 »
From my limited knowledge I think Linspire 5.0 would be great for a homework level machine for a novice user as thats its target market. Its designed to do the basics well.

You should be able to get a trial CNR account and download all the software you need which should all install easily.

If you just need it to do stuff like that then its perfect. It won't do many games though.

If I was buying a PC for my grandparents I would install that on it, I think its probably easier to learn than windows because Linux hides things better from the user and isn't full of crap all over the place.

MarathoN

« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2005, 18:12 »
I still wouldn't say Linspire is a good starting point for a new Linux user.

If you learn a few commands, you'll figure things out pretty easily, that's how I got started. :)

I still only know very few commands, but I can do exactly what I want in Linux. ;)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2005, 19:03 »
After using Ubuntu, I no longer want new Linux users, or an easy Linux. I hate things Easy, it just means more gets fucked up.

If your a man get Slackware, Debian, or at least Fedora. If your a fucking piss weak white trash motherfucker with a heroin addiction, use Linspire, Ubuntu, Mandriva, etc.

ksym

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2005, 19:21 »
Quote from: kintaro
After using Ubuntu, I no longer want new Linux users, or an easy Linux. I hate things Easy, it just means more gets fucked up.

If your a man get Slackware, Debian, or at least Fedora. If your a fucking piss weak white trash motherfucker with a heroin addiction, use Linspire, Ubuntu, Mandriva, etc.

Agreed.

We need no more IT-handicapped plug-n-pray degenerates into our scene. We need skilled people, like solo and hi's Komodo team, to make some new revolutionary GNU/Linux applications.
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.
-- My piece of Neo-Zen Wisdom

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2005, 19:35 »
Yeah, Linux is for hackers, not jack-arses.