Author Topic: Linspire Questions  (Read 3056 times)

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
Re: Linspire Questions
« Reply #30 on: 24 August 2005, 19:16 »
Quote from: ksym
Precisely.

(did i spell that word correctly?)

Indeed, you're becoming very proficient at spelling...

The fact that it's not easy to distribute in binary form for Linux is a nuissance, and should be worked upon - it probably is. This doesn't justify your hard wording.
Linux NEEDS standardisation, most of us will, I think agree, but the fact remains that ultra-orthodox-one-mold-one-prog standards as in MS-W did not prove to be most efficient, or secure.

ksym

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #31 on: 24 August 2005, 19:42 »
Quote from: Jenda
Indeed, you're becoming very proficient at spelling...

The fact that it's not easy to distribute in binary form for Linux is a nuissance, and should be worked upon - it probably is. This doesn't justify your hard wording.
Linux NEEDS standardisation, most of us will, I think agree, but the fact remains that ultra-orthodox-one-mold-one-prog standards as in MS-W did not prove to be most efficient, or secure.

Yay, im catching up some language here ... this trolling not so useless after all =)

Total dictatorship over the userland is not a good idea, like in Windows, since it introduces a lot of security problems ...

I think all GNU/Linux needs are good ABI standards.
NOT centralized userland/ABI, but STANDARDS. All conforming OS's could then implement these standards in their own way, but stay compatible. The Komodo -runtime is a good start for such. Another good standard is the LSB (Linux Standard Base), which actually defines the low-level ABI and it's functionality. I personally see the LSB as an extension for POSIX.

The problem is, that most opensource coders are too arrogant or "ethical" (or more spesifically, they lie to themselves) to adhere to such standards. Most GNU/Linux developers piss on LSB, and call it "a nazi standard for the enterprise" ... and since the Mono (and so Komodo -runtime) are based upon a back-ported enterprise application (MS .NET framework), will most hippiecommie coder bastards frown upon it too ... and this is so sad :(

Luckily, I've been developing a native-binary distribution framework called Exo-Runtime, which tries to compile POSIX compliant software into a sandboxed (and so partially managed) form ... tho I've been mocked for trying such.

I think that the OSS scene consist of three kinds of people:

1) The people who are really into the ethics of Open Source and Free Software. They diss at everything that is not GPL. Unfortunately these idealists are also the most talented coders, but they refuse to follow any enterprise driven standards ... making eg. binary distribution hard when using their software components.

2) The wannabe-gurus who just hang in the scene, and be content with everything the GPL license provides them, eg. end users who just use the GNU/Linux scene as an excuse to show-off and diss at other people. They REALLY DO NOT CARE about how GNU/Linux systems work, or what they could be made to be.

3) The rare, perceptive and innovatice coders/developers, who really understand that GPL and closed-source MUST and CAN be united in a practical way. Most BSD people are like these, and the people who develop the Mono runtime and the LSB standards. They get the most flames and blames, but must tolerate it ...

The GNU/linux scene is full of blind and intolerant (or fake-intolerant wannabe) people. This does not help GNU/Linux at all in the enterprise.

Personally, I am an elitist. But rather than jerking over some spesific distro/Desktop-environtment/application, I see all the problems GNU/Linux has, and try to make people share my thoughts. People want to get into enterprise with their linsux boxes? This is what I want too, but the scene is so fucking decadent and flegmatic, that nothing is gonna happen for a long time ...
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.
-- My piece of Neo-Zen Wisdom

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #32 on: 24 August 2005, 19:47 »
The thing is some programmers want to use Qt while others use Gtk and then some more want to write their own because they think both suck.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #33 on: 25 August 2005, 00:22 »
Most GNU/Linux developers piss on LSB, and call it "a nazi standard for the enterprise" ... and since the Mono (and so Komodo -runtime) are based upon a back-ported enterprise application (MS .NET framework), will most hippiecommie coder bastards frown upon it too ... and this is so sad :(
Where has this happened?
Luckily, I've been developing a native-binary distribution framework called Exo-Runtime, which tries to compile POSIX compliant software into a sandboxed (and so partially managed) form
Glad to see your trying to fix what you see as problems with most GNU/Linux systems.
... tho I've been mocked for trying such.
Where?
1) The people who are really into the ethics of Open Source and Free Software. They diss at everything that is not GPL.
That, is bullshit. GPL is not synonymous with free software or open source, it's one free-software licence out of lots. And now, I can't figure out if you mean that we diss everything not GPL (wrong) or we diss everything non-free (correct).
Unfortunately these idealists are also the most talented coders
I dunno if that's true - take a look at Linus Torvalds.
but they refuse to follow any enterprise driven standards
Perhaps because there's less need whenever they're going to be distributing their packages in source-form?
... making eg. binary distribution hard when using their software components.
They'll most likely not be distributing anything in binary form and therfore don't need to follow "enterprise driven standards".
3) The rare, perceptive and innovatice coders/developers, who really understand that GPL and closed-source MUST and CAN be united in a practical way. Most BSD people are like these, and the people who develop the Mono runtime and the LSB standards. They get the most flames and blames, but must tolerate it ...
Where? I've never seen any of this happen...
The GNU/linux scene is full of blind and intolerant (or fake-intolerant wannabe) people.
Maybe you're one of them. You're not seeing the fact that some of the stuff you never shut up about isn't all that important to most people by far.
Personally, I am an elitist. But rather than jerking over some spesific distro/Desktop-environtment/application, I see all the problems GNU/Linux has, and try to make people share my thoughts. People want to get into enterprise with their linsux boxes? This is what I want too, but the scene is so fucking decadent and flegmatic, that nothing is gonna happen for a long time ...
So that's why GNU/Linux isn't likely to ever make it!

I think not.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

ksym

« Reply #34 on: 25 August 2005, 13:57 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Perhaps because there's less need whenever they're going to be distributing their packages in source-form?

Yes. This is what makes them blind ... they need to see, that enterprise NEEDS stable ABI's. A stable API means nothing in the long run, unless most of the software using it are OpenSource, and can be distributed in source form.

And about this mocking, oh it is so true. I am not talking about these forums, but in the IRC I get mocked because my ideas are considered "too radical" or something. When I suggest people that they should embrace LSB in their software development, they either ignore me, state that "LSB is useless crap/nazi standard/whatever" or they just tell me to stfu.
This happens at least in those finnish channels i sometimes chat in ...

Okay, people don't often mock me, but most of em ignore my ideas, or tell me to shut up. They won't even give me any constructive criticism. So I think it's "ksym versus the world" ...

Luckily I am free to develop my ideas. We'll see if they are any good, or if I just should delete all my shit ..
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.

ksym

« Reply #35 on: 25 August 2005, 14:00 »
Quote from: kintaro
The thing is some programmers want to use Qt while others use Gtk and then some more want to write their own because they think both suck.

Yeah, I think you are right. In proprietary world the manufacturer can enforce standards and ABI's as they wish, since they got the code ...

Evolution should take place faster, and those rare-used software components should just vanish ...
People are stupid.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #36 on: 25 August 2005, 17:49 »
Yeah, I think you are right. In proprietary world the manufacturer can enforce standards and ABI's as they wish, since they got the code ...

Evolution should take place faster, and those rare-used software components should just vanish ...

Yeah, but in the propritary world it has been a problem as well, DLL-Hell for example. Their have been clever attempts to rid this ineffiency from both systems however it is always a problem. However in Linux I feel their will always be a bit of fragmentation regarding the different libaries that do similar things that people use.