Author Topic: Gaming environment  (Read 1320 times)

caustic

• Kudos: 0
Gaming environment
« on: 7 April 2002, 23:55 »
PC games seem sluggish, and theres that classic stuttering while the hard drive crunches away slowing up the whole game. The reasons (that I know of) this happens, is down to, slow disk access (perhaps due to little hdd space, clogged registry, etc.) and also the fact that youre running windoze and all those tray apps. Added the fact that console games actually run at relatively low res, this is why pc games seem slow right?

So. Why not program a extremely low resource gaming environment that could be booted into instead of windows? With directX and drivers the only things required to be loaded. Wouldnt this make games so much smoother? Opinions.

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
Gaming environment
« Reply #1 on: 8 April 2002, 02:26 »
<SARCASM>Oh, and I suppose the Mac is perfect because it has no swap file.</SARCASM> And get this: if your Mac has 8MB and you use Virtual Memory to double it to 16, the swap file is 16MB, not 8. Does that suck or what? Mind you, things have probably changed since System 7.5.

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Gaming environment
« Reply #2 on: 8 April 2002, 15:33 »
I say quake 1 is the best of the quake trilogy ... but that's my opinion, especially because of QuakeC, which allows people who don't understand C still make a nice lil' mod on their quake 1 game. It absolutely rocks. Also because of low latency, due to its age and few functions (no ducking, for example)

Go linux, go svgalib/X11 linuxquake.
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Gaming environment
« Reply #3 on: 8 April 2002, 16:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gooseberry Clock:
<SARCASM>Oh, and I suppose the Mac is perfect because it has no swap file.</SARCASM> And get this: if your Mac has 8MB and you use Virtual Memory to double it to 16, the swap file is 16MB, not 8. Does that suck or what? Mind you, things have probably changed since System 7.5.

did anybody say mac?
fuck off back under your stone.
this is a sensible topic and the likes of you needn't come along and try to turn it into another pointless uninformed mac vs pc argument.   :mad:

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Gaming environment
« Reply #4 on: 8 April 2002, 22:40 »
I think it's even more telling of Goosebuny Cock's knowledge when he apparently has not touched a mac since system 7.5. Furthermore, his knoledge about even that old, outdated system's, memory management seems to be flawd as well.

Pathetic.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Gooseberry Clock

Gaming environment
« Reply #5 on: 9 April 2002, 02:54 »
Nope, turns out Mac OS 8.0 is no better.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gooseberry Clock ]

ravuya

• VIP
Gaming environment
« Reply #6 on: 9 April 2002, 06:46 »
quote:
Nope, turns out Mac OS 8.0 is no better.

OS 8? Crawl back under your rock, troll. Nobody uses that anymore except for a few diehards.

OS X gives you a 64MB swap file. And you can blow it onto a separate partition.

Back on topic,
The whole objective of Windows (in homes, at least) right now is pretty much a gaming console and stereo. I wouldn't be too surprised if Microsoft released Windows: Gaming Edition with all the extra "features" stripped out of it.

quote:
WINDOWS USER: "Macs suck because they have no games"
ME: "If that's all you use your computer for, go buy a PlayStation, toddler."

Gooseberry Cock

• http://www.sci.fi/~pob41/ih8msw1n.htm
Gaming environment
« Reply #7 on: 9 April 2002, 14:30 »
Hey everyone, look at me!
I'm getting all the attention!
Let's change all the topics in this forum to be about me!

kaerfonket

Gaming environment
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2002, 10:28 »
my average fps in quake 3 jumped by ~20 when i switched from Mac OS 9.2.2 to 10.1.3  .. thanks, 'unix underpinnings.'

Slacker

Gaming environment
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2002, 23:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11:

Linux runs games better than anything i've used too date. GO LINUX. PC's Video Cards are much better as the graphics in a MAC. Still I hate Direct 3d. GOOO OpenGL, (Quake 1 with th GlQuake binary's look as good as the newest games with Direct 3D)

Maybe make a OpenGL liabary for DOS.
As dos isnt REAL MULTITASKING. It is extremely
FAST. The Quake 1 engine (dos) is open source)
and maybe you could mix its 3d with another open
source game... (Unreal) and code graphics with more than 256 colors. People say quake 1 has a shit engine. But its the textures that suck. But they where good in there day. So running 3d Games on quake I engine would be fast.

Mind you i have MS-DOS 6.00 installed on this machine. There is a great webbrowser for dos.
VERY FUCKING FAST!
http://browser.arachne.cz/

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: X11 ]

You've gotta be kidding me..   I mean I like linux..  But I mean come on gl-quake?  All the games now are based on directX technology.  I would like to be able to play all those games on linux but they cant.   Plain and simple.   And I did get quake3 working on linux but it was far from complete...   Slow... choppy...   And thats one of the few games that even works at all.   However...   linux makes a GREAT gameserver.   Hands down linux can handle more people then windows..

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
Gaming environment
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2002, 04:22 »
If you want to run Win strictly for gaming, edit your win.ini file to boot into the game's executable. No tray apps or anything. I don't know how you can get firewalls and whatnot to run while gaming with this method, but if that's all you want then go for it. If you want a firewall to run while gaming, download and install Litestep and kill every offending tray app except for the firewall.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

Gooseberry Clock

Gaming environment
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2002, 23:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11:
Q3A Arena/WIndows os OpenGL based.
And DOOM 3 which is coming out soon will
also be OpenGL based.

Direct3D is faster, not to mention the fact that Quake 3 Arena sucks in general.

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
Gaming environment
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2002, 05:40 »
Speaking of win2k (I don't normally do this) but you could just kill the non-essential tray apps and then kill explorer through win2k's task manager. Win2k doesn't auto-restart unelss it's killed by some error. You could restart explorer or another shell through the same method.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

DIABOLUS

Gaming environment
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2002, 00:11 »
A major flaw of windows is that the more programs you install, to more it bogs down- especially those programs that require a bunch of crap running in the background. Instead of hacking system files, you could simply set up your box to dual-boot and only install games, and other necessary applications on the secondary installation.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Gaming environment
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2002, 08:08 »
quote:
Direct3D is faster, not to mention the fact that Quake 3 Arena sucks in general.

Maybe if you use a pathetic old vid card without OpenGL acceleration, this will be true.  Any serious modern game card, from the GeForce 4 and Radeons, down to the (now) lowly GeForce2MX, is optimized to run OpenGL.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....