Author Topic: Microsoft's Jack Abramoff Arrested  (Read 3080 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: Microsoft's Jack Abramoff Arrested
« Reply #15 on: 18 August 2005, 22:35 »
I think I am part Irish.

I know I have mostly English blood, with a touch of Scottish, French, and Maltease. Yeah, my mothers side of the family shag around a lot, which makes it hard to even know if I have my real grandfather or not.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2005, 22:52 »
Haha, all the Irish wannabes :p
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #17 on: 20 August 2005, 15:56 »
Well, I definitely do not have any Irish blood, but other than that, I have pretty much all the blood you could imagine... my dad is a pure blooded czech, and the family is tracked down to the 16th century, still Czech.
My mother however, had Jewish parents, the grandmother an Askenazi, she was from Poland, but she considered herself Czech. The Jews always moved around, so her ancestry probably comes from Russia before that and during the course of the last two thousand years, they must've come from ancient Palestine - otherwise they couldn't be Jewish.
The grandfather was from Hungary. He died when I was two. He was a Sefardic Jew, and that means his ancestry came to Europe from Gibraltar in Spain, and must've crossed north Africa sometime in the last two millennia, coming from, where else, Palestine.
I have no idea how orthodox the two Jewish families were, so I do not know whether or not they picked up local DNA on the way.
I consider myself Czech, but I do respect and am aware and proud of my Jewish heritage as well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2005, 08:48 »
I'm going to find an Irish girl, so I will be part Irish too.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #19 on: 23 August 2005, 07:58 »
My great grandmother was Irish American.

Jenda

« Reply #20 on: 23 August 2005, 18:21 »
Wow... lots of Irish blood. That's funny. Ireland is much smaller than the Czech Republic, and yet none of you have Czech blood. I would suppose this would be a much stronger will of emmigration to the Americas than here. Ireland was for most of history quite strongly religious (catholic, AFAIK), so all the protestants were motivated. Here, OTOH, catholics first forced out all the protestants and then vice versa. The result, as of 2005, is the most atheist country in Europe, perhaps even the world (unmeasurable). Ireland also has the sea and even politically was (my guess) more tolerant towards emmigrants. The czechlands have been a part of the Austro-Hungarian empire for centuries, though sometimes (14th cent.) the leading one, which would strongly limit the people's movement.
BTW, there are quite a few, I'm guessing about twenty, Czech settlements in the US. I can name two Pragues (Oklahoma, Texas) and a village in Kansas called Cuba.

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: 23 August 2005, 18:38 »
Ireland is much smaller than the Czech Republic, and yet none of you have Czech blood.

That was a result of the great Irish famine. 1.5 to 2 million Irish people emigrated from Ireland in the mid 19th century, in addition to a million of them dying from starvation. The result was a huge population decrease, with long-term consequences reaching even today.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #22 on: 23 August 2005, 18:59 »
Quote from: Laukev7
That was a result of the great Irish famine. 1.5 to 2 million Irish people emigrated from Ireland in the mid 19th century, in addition to a million of them dying from starvation. The result was a huge population decrease, with long-term consequences reaching even today.

Ireland: the only nation to near total annihilation due to a spud.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: 23 August 2005, 19:25 »
Quote from: Orethrius
Ireland: the only nation to near total annihilation due to a spud.

Maybe this should make us all think about the consequences of potential contamination of crops by GMOs.

Jenda

« Reply #24 on: 23 August 2005, 20:34 »
Oohhh... you're asking for a complete OT debate!
I will force myself to abstain.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #26 on: 23 August 2005, 23:42 »
The town of West, Texas (just north of Waco) is very publicly proud of their Czech heritage.  Of course the town was named before the Czechs got there (if you asked me, it was named by an uncreative dumbass).

If you believe the movie "Far and Away" to be based on any kind of truth, then much Irish emmigration was based on conflict between peasant farmers and the landlord class.  Land was cheap and free in America at that time.  Of course not quite so many made it to the west - Boston and NYC are veeerryyy Irish.

Jenda

« Reply #27 on: 24 August 2005, 18:07 »
I read an article about Cuba, Texas in the National Geographic. They said the twon hall burned down along with all the original heritage, except for a single canvas painting (the size of a wall) of the old town square in Prague. Looked sweet, if you ask me. It sais the only Czech word they know is "pivo" - beer...

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #28 on: 24 August 2005, 23:47 »
I know one thing about Czech for sure, the women are dang fine.

Personally the most beautiful women are Indian though. I have a thing for Indian women.

Jenda

« Reply #29 on: 25 August 2005, 18:05 »
I know one thing about Czech for sure, the women are dang fine.

How would you know?