Author Topic: iTunes on Windows good?  (Read 1845 times)

Mistshadow

• Kudos: 0
iTunes on Windows good?
« on: 19 February 2004, 01:40 »
My husband wants iTunes on the Windows box; and 99 cents a song does sound like a pretty good deal, I must say. However, it's been the work of my life for the past few months to keep our Windows as far away from an internet connection as possible.

So is iTunes on Windows good?

Does it always try to connect to the intenet when it's used, like all of the other media players on WIndows? If so, why? (The other media players do it so they can get the chance to spam you, although they deny that.)

Why can't they port it to Linux? Jeeze, thanks for the support, Apple. And many Mac-users bitch about market-share and how they're not supported (no, I don't mean to point fingers here or anything, so don't go gettin' all warmed up for a flame war just yet, boys).
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." - Eric Clapton

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2004, 21:20 »
on the mac version theres an option to let it get online, so its probably on the windows one

but if you want an even better deal try kazaa  ;)
just say know

solarflare

iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2004, 20:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Stiller:
on the mac version theres an option to let it get online, so its probably on the windows one

but if you want an even better deal try kazaa   ;)  

Actually - If you go into preferences in itunes you can turn this option off and IT ISNT ON BY DEFAULT.

USE ITUNES MUSIC STORE IF YOU WANT PERFECT DIGITAL ENCODED MUSIC - USE KAZAA IF YOU WANT CRAP QUALITY ENCODED SONGS THAT WILL DESTROY ANY INTEREST YOU HAVE IN MUSIC.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS... IF YOU LOVE MUSIC USE THE ITUNES MUSCI STORE!!

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2004, 23:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by solarflare:
USE ITUNES MUSIC STORE IF YOU WANT PERFECT DIGITAL ENCODED MUSIC - USE KAZAA IF YOU WANT CRAP QUALITY ENCODED SONGS THAT WILL DESTROY ANY INTEREST YOU HAVE IN MUSIC.

Or be like me. I use kazaa but don't download anything less than 192 kbps. THen I fix up and edit the songs the way I want them to be, apply appropriate noise reduction, and re-encode them to my preferred way (tossing out all DRM if any too).

I think I'm gonna give itunes a try soon but I'm gonna probably use that crack to get it for free  :D  

I support the idea of pay-per-download music stores 100% but refuse to use them as long as their downloads have DRM. I refuse to pay for anything that limits how many times I can burn the song, or on how many machines I can play it, etc..

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2004, 23:50 »
The only time I've seen it connect to the internet (on my Mac anyway) is when it connects to the iTunes Music Store or I listen to the radio. When it connects, you see a small progress bar as it downloads whatever information it needs for viewing whatever area you're at. And of course, the radio is streaming.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2004, 05:05 »
quote:
I refuse to pay for anything that limits how many times I can burn the song

It doesn't. The only limit is three computers, and authorisation can be transfered from one computer to any another as many times as you like, so practically it's more of a speed bump designed to discourage uploading than a real limit.

Parrott

iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2004, 06:43 »
mistshadow, you can put your windows box on the net and prevent remond from knowing your even there, just use zone alarm pro, everything asks for internet permissions including windows generic host processes so yes you can also prevent itunes from doing it too.... oh and winamp is a dishonnest peace of shit even if you check the usage stats box saying you dont want them to know about your habits i still get winamp trying to the net, interesting isnt it? and no there isnt any inbedded webpages that they can use as an excuse either..... rant over ahhhhh

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2004, 07:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by solarflare:

Actually - If you go into preferences in itunes you can turn this option off and IT ISNT ON BY DEFAULT.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS... IF YOU LOVE MUSIC USE THE ITUNES MUSCI STORE!!

its not that huge a difference if you dont play it so loud you go deaf

and kazaa is great for audiobooks since you dont need a high bitrate

and AAC is far from perfect audio, dont the songs go at 128 kb/s?

[ February 19, 2004: Message edited by: The Stiller ]

just say know

Parrott

iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2004, 10:19 »
xeen pm me about how you do that cos i do alot of music production ie record my mixes from my decks and i wouldnt mind knowing how....

Xeen

• VIP
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2004, 10:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Xp Convert:
xeen pm me about how you do that cos i do alot of music production ie record my mixes from my decks and i wouldnt mind knowing how....

How I do what ?

Parrott

iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2004, 10:53 »
deencode change kps then reencode

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2004, 11:10 »
the DRM is ONLY for the purchased songs from iTMS, NOT your own music.

what makes iTMS unique is that you OWN the songs you buy, not Apple.

you can only burn the same playlist of purchased music 10 times (and you can re-rip it flawlessly with no DRM after that)

and it can go to 3 different computers on the same subnet. but can be re-authorized to a different pc and the DRM resets.

like I said, you OWN iTMS music, not apple, you can do what you want with it once you buy it. nothing is stopping you from cracking you own music.

DRM if used wrong is bad, but it has a use and used correctly can be good for both parties.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

flap

• Kudos: 137
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2004, 18:37 »
quote:
like I said, you OWN iTMS music, not apple

quote:
you can only burn the same playlist of purchased music 10 times

Which of these statements is true? Can apple restrict what you do with your legally downloaded music, or are you free to do what you want with it?

quote:
DRM if used wrong is bad, but it has a use and used correctly can be good for both parties.

DRM is by definition an unacceptable restriction of users' rights. How can it possibly be good for the consumer? Why line the pockets of Apple/record company executives when you can just download for nothing? Then you can send the artist some money if you wish.

quote:
"With iTunes I don't feel guilty when I download music - Apple and the record labels handle the screw job for me"

...from http://www.downhillbattle.org/itunes/index.html
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Xeen

• VIP
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2004, 19:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Xp Convert:
deencode change kps then reencode

Umm..rather simple.
1. Download MP3 from kazaa (at least 192 kbps in quality)
2. Open it in Cool Edit Pro or any other audio editor.
3. Edit it how you want.
4. Apply an filters you may want.
5. Then encode to MP3 again using the settings you want.

Yes, you loose some quality from the re-encoding but I never hear the difference because of the original quality being kinda high and because I never re-encode to anything below 192 or 256 kbps.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
iTunes on Windows good?
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2004, 19:53 »
quote:
Can apple restrict what you do with your legally downloaded music, or are you free to do what you want with it?

No, this has nothing to do with DRM. iTunes allows an unlimited number of copies, but the playlist has to be changed after each 10 burns (just switcing a few songs around is enough).

quote:
DRM is by definition an unacceptable restriction of users' rights.

By what definition?

quote:
Why line the pockets of Apple/record company executives when you can just download for nothing?

Not all the artistes on iTunes are under the behest of record companies. And what does this have to do with DRM being inherently good or bad?

[ February 20, 2004: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]