Author Topic: Micro & Goog  (Read 4961 times)

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Re: Micro & Goog
« Reply #15 on: 1 September 2005, 20:44 »
But isn't Google Talk just Jabber, meaning they have done none of the hard work and are taking all the credit?
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #16 on: 1 September 2005, 21:25 »
The installer look's a LOT like Mandrake's - for Christ's sake can't they come up with something original, for once?

[EDIT:] Can you please move this post to http://www.microsuck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=102392#post102392 ? Thanks.

Jenda

« Reply #17 on: 1 September 2005, 21:29 »
Many of my friends like Google's Picassa - and AFAIK, it's win-only.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #18 on: 1 September 2005, 22:38 »
Quote from: KernelPanic
But isn't Google Talk just Jabber, meaning they have done none of the hard work and are taking all the credit?
Better them use an open protocol rather than design another closed (or open, even) protocol.
All I'm worried about is Google talk clients not interoperating properly with other Jabber clients. Article.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #19 on: 2 September 2005, 06:15 »
The problem is not with Google Talk clients, it is (I don't believe anyway) that the Google Talk server does not allow messaging with other jabber servers. It requires a gmail address.

The Google Talk clients also seem to lack the ability to set vCard information like in most Jabber clients, however normal Jabber clients can take advantage of this feature with the Google Talk server. There are also issues with the way the text formatting works with Google Talk verses standard Jabber clients.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #20 on: 3 September 2005, 16:55 »
Kintaro,
they also support the dark side, and their desktop search product is Windows only. :(
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

DavidB

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.freedomware.us/
« Reply #21 on: 3 September 2005, 17:54 »
I welcome Google as a worthy competitor to Microsoft. The company generally seems to be far more ethical than Microsoft, and I don't believe they're in bed with George Bush.

On the other hand, I have read reports that suggest Google is becoming more corrupt, a claim that isn't hard to believe. It seems like every big corporation finds its way to the dark side eventually.
Bill Gates & George W. Bush = America's Greatest Traitors (Freedomware and Jail4Bush)

Jack2000

« Reply #22 on: 4 September 2005, 01:16 »
Quote from: DavidB
On the other hand, I have read reports that suggest Google is becoming more corrupt..
By all means please tellus your sources

DavidB

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.freedomware.us/
« Reply #23 on: 4 September 2005, 01:37 »
Quote from: Jack2000
By all means please tellus your sources

I can't remember any specific sources offhand. I've just noticed a few articles about it recently. The gist of it seems to be that many people no longer see Google as a knight in shining armor, partly because they fear its size and power and partly because there have apparently been a few reports of corruption - though nothing to rival Microsoft.

I would hate to see Google's good name ruined. I've read that Apple and Google are among the most respected brand names, while many people think Microsoft stands for shit.

I'm hoping that Google, Apple and open source software combined will eventually fry Microsoft. I'm also wondering if Adobe will offer stiffer competition, now that it has acquired Macromedia.
Bill Gates & George W. Bush = America's Greatest Traitors (Freedomware and Jail4Bush)

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #24 on: 4 September 2005, 04:42 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Kintaro,
they also support the dark side, and their desktop search product is Windows only. :(

Who cares? Google Search will come out on Linux eventually. However on Linux such applications are a lot harder to develop than on Windows. It is the price to pay for quality, waiting a little longer.

I guess you think Google should block Microsoft operating systems and IE from their search engine too? GREAT BUSINESS STRATEGY.

Note...

There is a desktop search program in Mono for Linux. It is in Alpha, but it is coming along.

Jenda

« Reply #25 on: 4 September 2005, 10:41 »
Yep. And unlike the one in Widows, the built in search utility in Ubuntu ain't a complete piece of crap!

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #26 on: 5 September 2005, 04:18 »
Excuse me captain offtopic, but we were talking about Google Desktop Search, and programs that compete with it. Microsoft and Gnome's search utlities are meager crap compared to those.

Jenda

« Reply #27 on: 5 September 2005, 18:54 »
Sorry to have offended you. If I were using Windows, I'd be looking for an alternative, but with the gnome search utility, I'm quite happy, for now.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2005, 18:27 »
Try Beagle Search, it is a lot like Google Desktop Search, it is pretty radicalistic.

Jenda

« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2005, 19:01 »
K - thanks. It's a big DL, so I'll wait for broadband. That'll be active in a few days, but I'll be gone next week, so I won't be able to set it up yet.