Author Topic: Free Opera Registration Keys, Today Only  (Read 4492 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Free Opera Registration Keys, Today Only
« Reply #15 on: 2 September 2005, 00:53 »
Done
sig.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #16 on: 2 September 2005, 00:54 »
Yeah, I managed to get a free key, and I'm loving Opera, it's the best browser I've ever used.

You're right, it does kick Firefox's ass!

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 2 September 2005, 00:56 »
it has some rendering problems for me though
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #18 on: 2 September 2005, 01:10 »
I just downloaded Opera for Fedora, and I have a few observations.

1. Yes it is smaller.  But in order to view source, you have to set up an external editor.  So it doesn't have a source viewer in it.  So that was weird.

2. Found a bug already.  If you go to http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/ with both Opera and Firefox, you will see the problem.  They have a JavaScript designed to deal with Mac IE.  Firefox responds correctly by ignoring it.  Opera just prints the script at the top of the page, above the content.  Also, it doesn't run the menu function properly - the menu mouseovers are not cleared when the mouse moves on, making the whole page unreadable.

3. The transfers tab is kinda nice.  So are all the extra preferences.

4. It isn't open source, and it costs money.

5. It uses Qt, which I don't like.

6. The web developer toolbar extension, which I have grown to love and depend on, is not there.

7. How convenient that it just borrows all the plugins (Java, Flash) from Firefox/Mozilla, instead of having its own!  That's sorta cheating, really.

Overall, I don't think there is any reason for me to use Opera.  But at least I tried it before deciding.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #19 on: 2 September 2005, 01:25 »
Lead head,
I've pm'd you a link.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 2 September 2005, 01:27 »
kk
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 2 September 2005, 01:29 »
As it works, if anyone else wants this link, pm me and I'll get it to them.

I'm of to bed now so I'll get it done tommorow.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #22 on: 2 September 2005, 02:04 »
Quote from: worker201
I just downloaded Opera for Fedora, and I have a few observations.

1. Yes it is smaller.  But in order to view source, you have to set up an external editor.  So it doesn't have a source viewer in it.  So that was weird.
It's simle really.  Every OS already has between 1 and ten thousand text editors.  Why make another one.  Of course with Linux, there are three thousand text editors, and everybody has their favorite, so why not let them use it.  Linux is ALL about modularity, right?
2. Found a bug already.  If you go to http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/ with both Opera and Firefox, you will see the problem.  They have a JavaScript designed to deal with Mac IE.  Firefox responds correctly by ignoring it.  Opera just prints the script at the top of the page, above the content.  Also, it doesn't run the menu function properly - the menu mouseovers are not cleared when the mouse moves on, making the whole page unreadable.
Opera IS fully standards compliant.  It's merely the sites use of non-standard code.  Try validating the page.
3. The transfers tab is kinda nice.  So are all the extra preferences.
Yes, yes they are.
4. It isn't open source, and it costs money.
Coders gotta eat.  And what difference does being open source make it?
5. It uses Qt, which I don't like.
Would you prefer the ass-ugly GTK?
6. The web developer toolbar extension, which I have grown to love and depend on, is not there.
Boo Hoo! Opera isn't firefox!
7. How convenient that it just borrows all the plugins (Java, Flash) from Firefox/Mozilla, instead of having its own!  That's sorta cheating, really.
If it's already there, why not use it?  Do you need multiple copies of the same binary?  Sounds like opera being smart to me!
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #23 on: 2 September 2005, 02:52 »
Well, that was a fairly thorough rebuttal to my objections.  However, I couldn't help but notice that most of our differences are based on personal taste.  And nobody should be getting in the way of that.  I like gtk, you like Qt, and everything is okay.  I like my extensions, you don't, that's great.  I think open source software is worth sacrificing a few questionable features, you don't, and that's fine too.

How about this?  I'll make a big donation in time and money to the Mozilla project, and get them to dig on this transfers tab thing, so I get the same features and the source is still open.  At that point, Opera's benefits will have drifted away, in my opinion.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #24 on: 2 September 2005, 03:03 »
They'll probably just make more benefits.

Jack2000

« Reply #25 on: 2 September 2005, 03:41 »
...or export them from unix based system :]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #26 on: 2 September 2005, 13:13 »
Quote from: Jack2000
...or export them from unix based system :]

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Jack2000

« Reply #27 on: 2 September 2005, 13:43 »
Quote from: Refalm
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?

I ment that M$ stel from just about every os/company they get theyr hands on.

-I think you know the feature button and it is right word-by-word .:)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 2 September 2005, 15:10 »

How about this?  I'll make a big donation in time and money to the Mozilla project, and get them to dig on this transfers tab thing, so I get the same features and the source is still open.  At that point, Opera's benefits will have drifted away, in my opinion.

Go on then, but you have your work cut out for you, it's going to be a hard task to make Firefox smaller while adding more features, I hope you're up to the job.

The transfers tab is more than an equillavent to Firesfox's shitty downloader open in a tab, it's a fully featured download manager that can pause and resume downloads even inbetween browser sessions, and connection or power failures.

The zoom is far superiour, this does more than increase the font, all of the graphics are scaled up/down accordingly.

Other features include mouse gestures, auto/manual session saving and the ability to detatch tabs to form separate Windows.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Firefox hasn't benifitted at all from the open source model, it's made it bigger slower, lower in features, also cirticle bugs that were discovered as long as 2 years ago still haven't been corrected.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #29 on: 2 September 2005, 15:13 »
Quote from: Jack2000
I ment that M$ stel from just about every os/company they get theyr hands on.

This discussion isn't about Windows or Microsoft at all. In fact, there hasn't been any mention of Windows, Microsoft or Internet Explorer in this whole thread (untill now).

Thanks for ruining it.