Author Topic: Are you a computer Moron?  (Read 2745 times)

doublefresh

• Kudos: 0
Are you a computer Moron?
« on: 17 November 2002, 17:42 »
I agree 100% Bill gates is Satan and his software is full of spyware. I also know Linux is open source and runs most of the webservers on the net.

Where I disagree with many of you is that you have to badmouth MS for crashing and not working and in general sucking ass when it's just not true.

I run 6 computers on my desk with a KVM switch 24/7  All but one of them are Microsoft products. They run for months at a time without crashing. I edit audio and video, I do graphical manipulation with very large files, I scan the web for interesting things and my computers do not crash.

I install millions of programs, I delete millions of programs I surf thousands of websites and still my computers do not crash.

The features and resource hogs that ship by default from MS I turn off. My slowest machine is an old 300A Celeron that has been overclocked to 450 MHZ for 5 years, My fastest is a dual 500 with a raid 5 setup running W2k Advanced Server.

Why are you having so many problems with Microsofts products? I don't.

Other than Bill Gates trying to rule the world and spyware I have no problem with MS Products.

Maybe it's just that you are computer morons and don't know enough about MS products to run them properly :)

Seriously, why does my Windows work and yours dont?

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2002, 18:42 »
quote:
Seriously, why does my Windows work and yours dont?

Because you have a Satanic pact with Bill Gates?

slave

« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2002, 18:52 »
Now to actually comment...

Look, everyone knows w2k/xp doesn't generally crash a lot; nobody is going to argue with you there.  The reason people say it sucks is because so what if it doesn't crash as much as Win 9x?  *Nothing* should crash that much as it is.  People see Linux as a better solution because not only does it not crash but it comes with hundreds of applications for free and it fits well with many people's philosophy.  I use Windows XP and Linux, and really I don't see a ton of things XP does that I'm not able to do in Linux.  I can play all my games in both OSes (except Morrowind, but oh well)  and sometimes it's nice to surf the internet and do email without the slightest fear of getting a virus. (My friend uses XP and sometimes gets thousands of Nimda viruses every day - and he has Norton too)  My brother had a trojan in his machine that must have come from some crack he downloaded of Kazaa (which is full of such shit) and Norton didn't detect it until  he manually scanned the file out of suspicion a few days later.  (He got suspicous because the windows task manager had two instances of "Microsoft Windows" running with the unibomber for the icon.  Ouch!)  And sure, the XP interface is nice and I really can't ask for much more, but Linux's isn't so bad either, especially RH8.

You say you have 5 computers all running Microsoft software, and one is advanced server.  What does that come to, 2000 dollars or something for the software alone?  Really, I'm not sure how smart a person can be if they choose to shell out that kind of money for a Windows server.  And if you pirated it, well, that just tells me you think MS's products are too crappy to pay for.

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Windows XP User #5225982375 ]

doublefresh

« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2002, 19:15 »
Actually I'm a network administrator and my company  has 600+ licensed copies of MS products. As one of the IT guys I don't have a problem running MS products at home to learn to be a better network admin. I guess you could call it pirating but I prefer to call it training for work.

Again I did not say a single bad thing about any other OS. I agree Microsoft has evil built in but the OS itself is stable and does everything most people need it to.

If people need to badmouth MS do it for the real reason of Spyware and closed source. Don't bash it for crashing and being a crappy OS. It's just not true. Win 98 did crash every now and then but It's not 1988 any longer. MS corrected it's crashing problems.

If you want to compare Linux to Win 98 make sure you use a version of Linux from 1988.

And I have to say Linux in 1988 was not a user friendly system for begginers. I had to try 4 distros in 1988 before I found one that would work on my computer.

I just installed Mandrake 9.0 on this computer 5 minutes ago and I like it so far but I can't compare it to win 98 because as I said win 98 was made almost 5 years ago when a P233 was the fastest processor on the market.

slave

« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2002, 19:19 »
quote:
Actually I'm a network administrator and my company has 600+ licensed copies of MS products.

Your company is the reason why Bill Gates is so rich  

doublefresh

« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2002, 20:44 »
Oh, now it's my fault bill gates is rich. LOL

600 copies at $200 each is less than $120,000

While I agree this is a huge sum of money it is not enough to make Bill rich.

It certainly was not my decision to buy this software either.

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2002, 21:25 »
Well, I guess you're special...

One of the guys at work runs XP and normally only reads e-mail and uses m$ access. This computer has suffered from complete corruption SEVERAL times, and there is no explanation. It is a Dell, tech support says the hardware is fine, and they have actually blown us off because they have run every possibly diagnosis, and they conclude that it is a software problem. Software being win XP, outlook, office 2000, Norton AV 2002.

Hmmm.....I remember Double Fresh's first post...who would've known he was just a windoid troll.
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2002, 22:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by doublefresh:
Actually I'm a network administrator and my company  has 600+ licensed copies of MS products. As one of the IT guys I don't have a problem running MS products at home to learn to be a better network admin. I guess you could call it pirating but I prefer to call it training for work.

Again I did not say a single bad thing about any other OS. I agree Microsoft has evil built in but the OS itself is stable and does everything most people need it to.

If people need to badmouth MS do it for the real reason of Spyware and closed source. Don't bash it for crashing and being a crappy OS. It's just not true. Win 98 did crash every now and then but It's not 1988 any longer. MS corrected it's crashing problems.

If you want to compare Linux to Win 98 make sure you use a version of Linux from 1988.

And I have to say Linux in 1988 was not a user friendly system for begginers. I had to try 4 distros in 1988 before I found one that would work on my computer.

I just installed Mandrake 9.0 on this computer 5 minutes ago and I like it so far but I can't compare it to win 98 because as I said win 98 was made almost 5 years ago when a P233 was the fastest processor on the market.

Hey, here's a hint: The "98" in "Windows 98" means that it was released around 1998, NOT 1988. And I will gladly compare any linux distro from 1998 to Windows 98, just to show you it's a piece of shit.

Linux was always stable - Windows 98 (or any Windows, for that matter) still has code from Windows 3.1.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2002, 00:48 »
Your assumption is that we are morons because our computers crashed when we used to use Windows. That is funny. An experiment I did maybe a year and a half ago on my win98se box. I turned the computer on and did absolutely nothing to it. I ran no programs and touched nothing except those that started at boot time. I let the computer sit for days trying to see if I could get a super high uptime. After 7 days I come home from work to find a BSOD has occured. Im able to get out of that, but I notice that my computer is running very slow and the hard drive light just stays on. So I decide to get on the internet, and I find to my amazement that my modem no longer is detected. Im pissed at this point, so I decide to open up control panel to see what I can do when another BSOD occurs. This time nothing can free me and I reboot. After the reboot everything is fine again. Keep in mind other than trying to connect to the internet and look at the control panel, I did nothing. Shortly afterwords I switched to linux and found that after 66 days uptime, everything still ran perfectly smooth. I guess Im just a moron though.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2002, 01:04 »
i have windows xp installed at work on a daul athlon 1.2ghz, 1gig registered ddr, geforce 4, 2ibm scsi drives, blah blah blah, and it is not stable. it crashes alot. i think i have reinstalled the os on that system about 7 times since i got it (september 2001). on my windows machine at home, i finally took xp off because of the crashing, i put 2000 on it. it still crashes, just not as much.
my parents are always calling bitching that their computer crashed. my girlfreinds windows machine crashes alot. one of my freinds is a systems administrator, he swears his sytems do not crash, but i was over at his house and he tried to show me a video, insted we got to see a windows blue screen. all of the computers at work crash regularly. our "server" (running windows 2000) has actually been up for *gasp* 35 days now. that is our record.
now, my redhat 8 install has never crashed, nor did my mandrake 8 or 9 install, or suse 8. they ran fine on a machine that windows couldnt run on.
my mac has not crashed. sometimes i have a program error in linux or mac, but they have never crashed.

zooloo

• http://www.websteam.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2002, 01:45 »
This link is from webmasterworld.com

www.webmasterworld.com/forum9/3646.htm

It seems to me you are the only MS user who isn't familiar with the BSOD.

I used to use MS stuff for graphics and it crashed at least daily.

zooloo
Open Source Software - What is the compelling reason to use anything else?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2002, 01:47 »
I was the senior systems and network engineer for a company that ran 4000 Microsoft desktops. I don't think you are going to tell me anything I don't already know about Microsoft. And by the way. I *rarely* touch an M$ OS any more. I'm nearly 100% Linux at home (I do run Win2k advanced server in VMware just for connectivity testing). Don't get so uptight. Get Linux instead.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2002, 03:23 »
With Linux i dont ave to worry about apps being downloaded in my computer with out me knowing it. Yes I got the weather app, that gator crap and date manager downloaded and installed with out me having the chance to say yes or no.
  You will say I should be carefull then where I go. Well here is the thing, why the hell I should be carefull. M$ claims to have a browser that is very secure.

Secure my ass.

With Linux i roam around like a blonde smoking a doobie leaving all the wurms and viruses for the REAL  blondes. The Windos users.
Yeah

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2002, 05:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:
After 7 days I come home from work to find a BSOD has occured.

Mah Kazaa/FTP Win 98 box' uptime

I wouldn't consider your test a good experiment. If it was, you would implement controls and maybe some variables. Maybe different. updated versions of Win98. Maybe different hardware configurations. Different amounts of ram. Etc. Etc.

quote:
Originally posted by bazoukas :

With Linux i dont ave to worry about apps being downloaded in my computer with out me knowing it. Yes I got the weather app, that gator crap and date manager downloaded and installed with out me having the chance to say yes or no.

Best check your IE security options then.

"Other people that had higher security settings on MSIE would not get the automatic download without first knowing about it. Those people would get a popup confirmation box that would ask for permission to download. The person could cancel the download."  [source

It is also possible that it was installed with some other shareware or freeware. Imesh and Kazaa often do that, even if you tell them not to.

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: fett101 ]

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2002, 05:13 »
I flinch everytime I hear that if a person wants to get rid of most of their windows problems, they should upgrade to the next latest and greatest....

I don't think so!!! I'm taking my business elsewhere.
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!