Author Topic: wireless support  (Read 1349 times)

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
wireless support
« on: 31 August 2005, 00:44 »
with growing wireless access i was wondering what distro has the best wireless compatibility out of the box. anyone? oh btw its great to be back, i think my last post here was several months ago.
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: wireless support
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2005, 23:45 »
I have heard rumors that SuSE supports pretty much every wireless card that it would be feasibly possible to support.  Many of the wireless drivers are not purely open source, so they don't get packed into distros like Fedora and Slackware.  A pay-distro is a better bet.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2005, 23:49 »
i had SuSE 9.1 and it detected and ran any network card i shoved in my PC. Including wireless cards
sig.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #3 on: 1 September 2005, 17:45 »
Offtopic: OpenBSD and FreeBSD have increasingly rad WiFi support.

---

I suggest you get Fedora, and build your own kernel (it really isn't that hard)

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
« Reply #4 on: 3 September 2005, 00:25 »
hmmm.......
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 3 September 2005, 02:36 »
Most distros are the same with wifi...yesterday I installed Ubuntu on a friend's laptop with a Belkin FSD6020.  Works just fine.  Browsing through the Ubuntu tree, they appear to include a lot of drivers with, including the Intel 2x00 drivers and firmware.

As for MadWifi and stuff like that...SuSE has it, but not by default...at least not the FTP install.  The box set might have them.  And a lot of distros now ship with ndiswrapper, so you can grab your Windows driver CD if need be and it should work ok.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Commander

• Kudos: 52
« Reply #6 on: 4 September 2005, 05:24 »
suse has awsome wireless support.  but the only problem (a big problem for some) is that i cant seem to get it (my d-link pci wireless card) to work if the encryption is on.  so i had to take out encryption from my server and use the machine ID filtering instead.
In any case, i'll advise against buying a usb wireless card because there is just too much trouble with it.. I know this because one of my friends has a dlink usb wireless card and he's never been able to get it to work with suse.
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: 4 September 2005, 09:18 »
In any case, i'll advise against buying a usb wireless card because there is just too much trouble with it.. I know this because one of my friends has a dlink usb wireless card and he's never been able to get it to work with suse.

I have a USB Linksys card, and it works fine in Slackware.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #8 on: 5 September 2005, 04:21 »
I have no luck with my PCMCIA Wifi card, but I can't remember what it was as I lost it somewhere.

Its probably in my Laptop bag.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #9 on: 5 September 2005, 11:47 »
I want Slackware back, SuSE sucks.

Jack2000

« Reply #10 on: 5 September 2005, 19:21 »
A friend of mine has one of those multy user pcs (i mean 1 cpu 1hdd 2 video cards 2 key boards 2 monitors ... etc) and is going to get himself wireless support so he he can go to the neighbours house and use the pc from distance(while his brother plays a pc gam at the same time) isn't opensource life sweet :_)

Favourite wireless support ???