Author Topic: Massachusetts set to switch off Microsoft  (Read 5769 times)

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
Re: Massachusetts set to switch off Microsoft
« Reply #15 on: 3 September 2005, 00:34 »
fuck it i live in an apartment, above some people
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #16 on: 3 September 2005, 00:40 »
That's logical. ;)

DavidB

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.freedomware.us/
« Reply #17 on: 3 September 2005, 01:52 »
Quote from: HPC GUY
now all hilarity will ensue when the state of washington does this.

I wish. Unfortunately, Bill Gates owns Washington. Seattle easily ranks with Washington, D.C. and Houston, Texas as one of America's most corrupt cities, and it rules Washington State with an iron fist. So any attempts to switch over to open source would probably result in bloodshed.

Besides, the people in Washington State are really, really, almost unbelievably stupid. How stupid? When Pat Robertson (the Christian loon who recently said Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez should be assassinated) ran for President, he carried just one state - Washington. And Western Washington's liberals are just as stupid.
Bill Gates & George W. Bush = America's Greatest Traitors (Freedomware and Jail4Bush)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #18 on: 3 September 2005, 06:50 »
I see your point DavidB but I think the term, bloodshed, is a little over the top.

DavidB

« Reply #19 on: 3 September 2005, 07:14 »
Quote from: kintaro
I see your point DavidB but I think the term, bloodshed, is a little over the top.

They usually prefer to destroy people economically, legally or psychologically - all of which can be as bad as bloodshed. So "bloodshed" is hardly over the top, figuratively speaking or not.
Bill Gates & George W. Bush = America's Greatest Traitors (Freedomware and Jail4Bush)

MarathoN

« Reply #20 on: 4 September 2005, 02:01 »
Actually, if you shoot someone, you can hurt them psychologically, if they survive, that is. :)

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #21 on: 4 September 2005, 04:30 »
I guess you have a point. I think however the threat of Microosft is a little exaggerated, competition is working, slowly, but working.

DavidB

« Reply #22 on: 4 September 2005, 06:07 »
I guess you have a point. I think however the threat of Microosft is a little exaggerated, competition is working, slowly, but working.

Too little, too late as far as I'm concerned. Too limited, too. Will the Linux community hold Bill Gates accountable for his shameful exploitation of public education or his real estate crimes? Frankly, the geek community is out to lunch.

Microsoft is about far more than software.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #23 on: 4 September 2005, 06:31 »
Well unfortunatly, nothing can really be done other than that, and it isn't too late yet. Microsoft has done some terrible things, however that is in the past and it is the future that needs to be worried about.

DavidB

« Reply #24 on: 4 September 2005, 14:40 »
Well unfortunatly, nothing can really be done other than that, and it isn't too late yet. Microsoft has done some terrible things, however that is in the past and it is the future that needs to be worried about.

Uh, no - Microsoft's crimes are hardly in the past; they're ongoing. And we won'thave much of a future if society doesn't learn the importance of holding people accountable for their actions. Murderers, rapists and burglars go to jail, so why shouldn't Bill Gates be hauled to the carpet, too?

That's why I began speaking out against Microsoft, because the geek community is so out to lunch. They really don't have a clue about anything outside their operating systems.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #25 on: 4 September 2005, 18:52 »
He has been hauled to the carpet. There have been trails against Microsoft and things have been done to help flush the monopoly, that also, is ongoing.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #26 on: 4 September 2005, 18:56 »
It takes an awful lot to change public opinion, and for the last ten years, the public's opinion has been MIA. The problem is that they have no opinion, they just "know" what they're told. Unfortunate problem is they're told things by morons. Where did these morons get their info? They got it from "business". And ya know, for some reason, business finds it in their best interest to  spend a shitton of money on shitty software every year.

Spending too much money + Relearning software every year = Good
Spending no money + Relearning once = Bad

But then, check out this equation that someone managed to shove down their throats...

Spend $75,000 + $20,000 support contract + $45,000 lost due to software failures = Low "Total Cost Of Ownership"
Spend $0 + $0 support contract + $5,000 lost due to software failures = High "Total Cost Of Ownership"

I'm sorry. I can't see it. They can, though. It makes perfect sense to their middle-management brains, and that's what you have to combat. I don't see how you can, though. Best you can do is try for one person at a time. There's no way that you can change the opinion of 200 million sheep, aside from one at a time.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #27 on: 4 September 2005, 18:58 »
We still use MS Office 97 at work, but I suppose we'll be forced to upgrade sooner or later.

This is very good news, but I wonder why they chose OO over Star Office, is it because they don't require the support?

Why do companies use Star Office anyway? Is it just for the support or are they other advantages too, like extra features maybe?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

DavidB

« Reply #28 on: 4 September 2005, 20:03 »
He has been hauled to the carpet. There have been trails against Microsoft and things have been done to help flush the monopoly, that also, is ongoing.

Oh, please - Bill Gates has never been hauled to the carpet. He's a received a series of slaps on the wrists. Typical punishment consists of forcing Microsoft to give consumers vouchers for discounts on software made by - guess who? - Microsoft. What a farce.

MarathoN

« Reply #29 on: 5 September 2005, 01:09 »
I found this freaky site a few days ago.

http://exodus2006.com/3code.htm