Author Topic: FireFox def browser  (Read 2722 times)

Jack2000

FireFox def browser
« on: 9 September 2005, 22:18 »
Hi people i know this is Anti M$ forum but i need some help

Um i want to make graphic and html files to open by defoult in FireFox

and i mean all of them full Mozilla integration

pls help

(or at least as much as posible)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: FireFox def browser
« Reply #1 on: 9 September 2005, 22:27 »
:confused:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 9 September 2005, 22:29 »
What OS/desktop enviornment?
(Please note that if the answer is Windows, you should know better.)
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jack2000

« Reply #3 on: 9 September 2005, 22:32 »
oh
you know when you double click .jpg file how it opens it in MSIE
right ?

Well i want to it to do this for me in FireFox
now i am not shure under what file type are stored the .htm;.html;.jpg .... extentions

... soo ... i nead help

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 9 September 2005, 22:39 »
Quote from: Jack2000
oh
you know when you double click .jpg file how it opens it in MSIE
right ?

Well i want to it to do this for me in FireFox
now i am not shure under what file type are stored the .htm;.html;.jpg .... extentions

... soo ... i nead help
In Firefox:
Edit > Preferences
Check the "Default Browser" bit.

I'm not gonna help with the Windows end of things (if that doesn't fit your needs), mainly because this is the Microsoft Eradication Society, and also because I mostly-forget all that crap (thank the Lord.).

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jack2000

« Reply #5 on: 9 September 2005, 22:53 »
you think you forget it i am starting to forget it and i am useing it !

ps: it is in the mood of this forum becouse i want to swich to mizilla firefox :) ,get it ?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 9 September 2005, 22:59 »
you think you forget it i am starting to forget it and i am useing it !
I have no clue what you're trying to say...
ps: it is in the mood of this forum becouse i want to swich to mizilla firefox :) ,get it ?
Yes I do, but reason number two still stands.

Look in Control Panel.
There's somewhere you can replace IE with Firefox as the default browser, IIRC, and in the same place you can use it for opening other things (IIRC).

Right clicking on files, open with, Firefox, I think there's a "set as default" checkbox in there.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #7 on: 9 September 2005, 22:59 »
Open some folder, like My Computer or My Documents, click on View, and then (i think) folder options.  This will bring up a multi-tabbed dialog box.  One of the tabs is file types.  Just go down to jpeg and whatever else and change the Open action to point to the program of your choice.

It's a hell of a lot more complicated to do this in Windows than it is in OSX or Gnome, just so you know.

Edit:
in Windows XP, you click Tools to get to Folder Options, not View.

sjor

• Kudos: 34
    • http://www.mental.co.nr
« Reply #8 on: 9 September 2005, 23:05 »
Right...

Windows XP=  

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #9 on: 9 September 2005, 23:57 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I have no clue what you're trying to say...

Yes I do, but reason number two still stands.

Look in Control Panel.
There's somewhere you can replace IE with Firefox as the default browser, IIRC, and in the same place you can use it for opening other things (IIRC).

Right clicking on files, open with, Firefox, I think there's a "set as default" checkbox in there.

Firefox sets itself as default browser at install and runtime unless you tell it not to.

Also, why do you want jpg's to open in Firefox instead of Photoshop or GIMP or something?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2005, 00:34 »
I make all my pictures open in The GIMP, especially BMPs :P

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2005, 04:11 »
All my pictures open in eog, the "eye of gnome" - double-clicking a picture of a girl with big ... I mean, a picture of kittens just takes me to an image viewer.

In Windows, when you absolutely must use it, I think Irfanview is the best image browser.  FreeSee is what I use for the Mac.  I haven't found an image browser that works like that for Linux yet :(

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2005, 19:31 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
What OS/desktop enviornment?
(Please note that if the answer is Windows, you should know better.)

I know this forum has no a Windows questions policy but I think we should activly encourage questions about using MS alternatives on Windows as it helps our cause which is to move people away from MS software.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2005, 20:47 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I know this forum has no a Windows questions policy but I think we should activly encourage questions about using MS alternatives on Windows as it helps our cause which is to move people away from MS software.
Yep. That's what I thought, and why I eventually did try to help this guy.

Questions about Microsoft products should be allowd aslong as the user is trying to start using (i.e. installing, configuring, and actually using) a free, oops I mean non-Microsoft, product.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2005, 00:39 »
If you are using windows xp it has a perfectly capable image viewer. By default, images open in windows image/fax viewer. I see no reason why you should use firefox as an image viewer.

And, use linux. LINUX LINUX LINUX. because your e-penis will grow 6 inches OVERNIGHT!