Author Topic: Windows Vista - 7 different versions  (Read 5196 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: Windows Vista - 7 different versions
« Reply #45 on: 24 September 2005, 05:24 »
Quote from: noob
i bet its like xp home and pro. theres a file in xp that says what windows adons cant be installed. all you did was open it and add an entry saying that XXX package could be installed and then install it. it bet it will be the same. get the home basic, edit this file and just run the updates from the enterprose edition and bingo, the basic version, working as well as the nterprise.

If that's true, then Microsoft really are crooked.  Selling the same product in 7 different packages is just about as bad as a marketing company can get.  It would also mean that Microsoft is still up to their awful tricks, obscuring something that should be secured, and building something that should have been designed.

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #46 on: 24 September 2005, 11:28 »
the thing is they could do that and just say that the basic version doesnt officially support the features so they stopped them being installed "For a troube free, friently experiance". no one will get the source code, not given by M$ anyway, so they can say what they want.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #47 on: 25 September 2005, 22:13 »
Yeah right. That does sound very Microsoftish.

Operating Systemes

I use "OSes" phonetically: oh-sizz. And its still better than "OS's" - that can get confusing ("many OS's" or "the OS's benefits") - or OSs which can easily get confused with OSS.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #48 on: 9 October 2005, 20:08 »
That's a point the 7 differant versions of Windows won't be separate operating systems, they'll be differant versions of the same operating system.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #49 on: 10 October 2005, 11:13 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
That's a point the 7 differant versions of Windows won't be separate operating systems, they'll be differant versions of the same operating system.

Depends how you look at it, are FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD different operating systems?

Jack2000

« Reply #50 on: 10 October 2005, 20:21 »
Why didn't they just have one DVD with all the data
and then let you choose !

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #51 on: 10 October 2005, 20:42 »
it would have to be 2 DVDs, or 1DVD and a CD, or 1 DVD and a micro CD, or 1DVD and 200Floppy discs, or 4900 floppy discs
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #52 on: 10 October 2005, 20:54 »
No, it's because they can charge differant prices for differant versions in the hope that more people will use their shit. Leadhead you are wrong in saying that you'd need more than one DVD as all seven versions will be pretty similar to one another, LOL they might be exectly the same except for a few minor changes in the set up program. :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

NeoZenkai

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #53 on: 11 October 2005, 22:01 »
Quote from: Lead Head
how is limiting it to 3 windows or programs or whatever gonna help users ? So what when they learned enough and want to upgade they have to pay more!!?

EXACTLY!!! So, Microsoft is going to tell me how many programs I can run simultaneously on MY computer??? No thanks, right now I'm running OpenOffice, Firefox, XMMS, GKRellM, Thunderbird, SciTE, and not paying a damn penny. Thanks Microsoft, but go shove it.

HeroicRaptor

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #54 on: 12 October 2005, 03:34 »
hellsfuckingyeah!

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #55 on: 12 October 2005, 11:42 »
Slackware rules. :D

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #56 on: 12 October 2005, 16:46 »
damn fucking right

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #57 on: 13 October 2005, 11:01 »
/me wonders what people might say if people knew he's converting to Gentoo

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #58 on: 13 October 2005, 17:57 »
Quote from: NeoZenkai
EXACTLY!!! So, Microsoft is going to tell me how many programs I can run simultaneously on MY computer??? No thanks, right now I'm running OpenOffice, Firefox, XMMS, GKRellM, Thunderbird, SciTE, and not paying a damn penny. Thanks Microsoft, but go shove it.

That's the only thing they've found so far that they can hold over pirates in countries where there either isn't a legit software vendor or nobody cares about the legit vendor (i.e. China). Want a gigantic price break and still have your rig run like shit? Buy this thing.... and once you have your firewall, antivirus, and instant messenger up and running, you get a nice, big "Fuck you" from Microsoft instead of your chosen browser (chosen as long as you choose IE of course). And God help you if you need to run anything else.

Someday Bill Gates will be found in a ditch with his throat slashed from ear to ear and an Ubuntu install CD shoved in the wound. The world will rejoice. :)
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #59 on: 13 October 2005, 20:19 »
"Anything you can do, I can do better. I can do anything better that you." sound familiar?
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.