Author Topic: Why do you Hate Windows XP so much?  (Read 1137 times)

www.unixsucks.com

• Kudos: 56
    • http://www.unixsucks.com
Why do you Hate Windows XP so much?
« on: 21 August 2002, 19:10 »
I can understand hating Microsoft and it's products in general but why so many people centered around hating Windows XP.
Even for dumbest *NIX user it shall be obvious that it's 20 steps forward from Win9x base.
I'm not talking about economical aspect of owning it, like it's price or activation requirement but purely from technical standpoint of view.
Why you don't have Win9X users or Win2000 users as much as Windows XP? What is so special about it that you singled it out?
Gregory Suvalian

badkarma

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2002, 19:18 »
Firstly microsofts strongarm bussiness tactics, you're presumed guilty of piracy untill proven innocent.

Furthermore a bunch of technical reasons (mainly IRQ sharing/steering and QoS (which vaporizes 20% of your bandwidth even if you disable it))
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

creedon

« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2002, 21:23 »
Check my post in Linux/Unix.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2002, 23:10 »
If there's an error, the system doesn't automatically reboot so you can see what the problem was. Hardware compatability is another plus for me, I just install and most if not all of my drivers are installed. Then there's the extremely long time to get a patch out. How long dio it take for the KDE team to get a patch out for the SSL bug that affected Win\Lin\Unix? 90 minutes? For apple it was a day, and MS will release a patch...never? Sorry, man but linux is just a little bit nicer. And with Wine running, I'm getting closer to not needing windows at all. Oh, and I don't know if anyone has told you yet, but the xp loser thing which you assumed was name calling in one of your threads is due to Windows XP User #5187589211, or something along those lines, another poster on FMS. He goes around with other names and posts a bunch of bs. And your username probably didn't help your case much either. Sorry, but the cards were stacked against you before you even got here.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2002, 04:51 »
Can you go to microsoft.com and download DOS? Can you go to microsoft.com and download Windows 3.1? Can you go to microsoft.com and download Windows 95? Can you go to microsoft.com and download windows 98? Can you go to microsoft.com and download Windows 2000? Even IF you had the money, you still could not download it. With linux you could go to the distro's site and download any version without paying, not that that matters as microsoft won't even let you pay. From a technical standpoint it isn't much of an argument, but if you can't figure out what's technically wrong with windows then you have problems which I can't help you with.

BJS

« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2002, 05:53 »
Spyware, adware, myriad virii, phantom restarts, security issues ignored and programs not running correctly.
Compatability mode is a joke.

XP is the reason I am dual booting WinME and SUSE 8.0. Microsoft is no longer creating products that help me use my computer. They are making software that controls my machine for their own purposes.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2002, 06:20 »
hehehem, i installed kde 3.0.3, why is xmms broken with that relase of arts. owell, 3.0.3 is the version witht the ssl fix
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Doctor V

« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2002, 06:33 »
The last post said it all.  WinXP is the most evil because it takes the most control out of the hands of the user and into M$'s hands.  The rampant spyware, activation and the like.  I'm sorry, but thats not progress, thats not what an OS that people pay their hard earned cash for should do.  Its becomming more and more you vs. your computer with each new windows release.  How can you trust a compter that from the start dosn't trust you.  winXP is an inferior OS to win2K, yet is costs way more.  Why then are so many people getting into the XP thing?  A combonation of M$'s advertizing, and just plain igrorance.  Add that to the fact that M$ is trying to get as many computers that are up for sale as it can to have XP preinstalled, taking away customer choice.  I can't believe that people actually like those Nazi's.

V

Windows Slave

« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2002, 12:53 »
My screen name says it all   :D

Mikessites

« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2002, 16:34 »
Not sure if you have all read about microsofts illegal collection of private information in hidden directories. And they wonder why everyone who has tried Linux prefers it to Winblowz??

Read This

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2002, 21:26 »
This question has been asked before, you retarted  chimp. Look <HERE>

TIP -- Learn how to use the search feature it's very simple
« Last Edit: 3 November 2007, 00:35 by KernelPanic »
Contains scenes of mild peril.