Author Topic: Thank fucking god, no more Ubuntu  (Read 2586 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Thank fucking god, no more Ubuntu
« on: 28 September 2005, 17:40 »
Well I have finally fucked off Ubuntu and I am now running Debian, with little trouble merging my existing configurations for Deer Park, Crossover Office, VMware 5, and Azureus.

It works better than Ubuntu, like shitloads better. In fact, it is fucking awesome.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
Re: Thank fucking god, no more Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2005, 12:47 »
Funny, I know someone yesterday who just formatted off Debian, saying that it sucked. He is now using Ubuntu and likes it...
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2005, 22:20 »
I like Ubuntu. But I don't know any better (all I can say is that mandrake/iva is a LOT worse).

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2005, 22:38 »
Quote from: Jenda
I like Ubuntu. But I don't know any better (all I can say is that mandrake/iva is a LOT worse).
I quite loved Mandrake back in the day.

I intend on installing Ubuntu 5.10 to see what it's like and to try and look at things from a newbie perspective, to see how hard it would be for newbies to use.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2005, 03:44 »
I finally got Ubuntu after requesting the CD's 2 months ago.

Tried the live CD.

its hidieous and empty.

Sound worked fine tho.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2005, 09:13 »
"Well I have finally fucked off Ubuntu and I am now running Debian..."

Never gave Ubuntu a go. Then, again, I'm way past the "n00b" stage. I prefer Slack, and what I have is a highly customized version that includes quite a bit of soft and extras that just weren't on the Slack install CD (Enlightenment, WebMin, emelFM, Feh, GImageView, GRUB, iv, JEdit). That's what I like about Slack: it's quite easy to set up a minimal install, then flesh it out later.

If "Noobuntu" is like most of the "newbie" distros, I'd have to go back and rip out too much stuff to make it like I like. Why bother?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2005, 09:52 »
I can't believe how few programs are on it and how ugly it is, the best way to introduce a noob is to make them feel comfortable with the interface and to provide all the basic software they'll ever need.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2005, 09:59 »
I've tried ubuntu, and (for what it's worth) here's my opinion:

Installation
This was pretty easy and like Vector Linux and Windows XP it didn't give me very much choice, so on this front it's very newb friendly, and everything worked apart from my NTL cable modem.

Configureation
I still had to edit some text files to get things to work the way I like so on this front it isn't ver newb friendly.

General use
Not too bad, GNOME is fairly easy to use and most tasks are point and click.

Overall
Ok, a fairly average newb distro, but I wouldn't recommend it to a tru newb as you often still have to edit text files to get things working the way you want.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2005, 18:04 »
What textfiles did you have to edit and what would you recommend instead?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2005, 18:57 »
Ah I tried the Gnome 2.12 Live CD a few days ago, that runs Ubuntu, it was horrible, hated it. :rolleyes:

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2005, 20:15 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
What textfiles did you have to edit

I can't remember exactly but I had to edit the following:

fstab  to get it automount my NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

X86Config to set  up the graphics properly.

grub.conf to set it up to boot Windows by default and to change the time out and the OS name from DOS to Windows XP.

Quote from: piratePenguin
and what would you recommend instead?

Shit, I've just realised that in all the distros I've used I had to edit one or all of the above. Is there a distro you can use where you don't?

Some distros set up this stuff during the instalation and often have nice and pretty GUIs to do this but once you've installed it they seem to disappear so you have to edit the text files. I don't know I might not have had to edit them at all I just did it the way I was told to in the manual so please correct me if I'm wrong.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2005, 20:21 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Shit, I've just realised that in all the distros I've used I had to edit one or all of the above. Is there a distro you can use where you don't?
There are tools for setting up stuff like that from a GUI.
SuSE's Yast might be able to configure some or all of that stuff, I dunno. It's probably your best bet.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2005, 20:50 »
can't remember exactly but I had to edit the following:

fstab  to get it automount my NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

X86Config to set  up the graphics properly.

grub.conf to set it up to boot Windows by default and to change the time out and the OS name from DOS to Windows XP.

SuSE's yast can do all of that.  I had SuSE 9.1 but it got screwed up when i upgraded my hardware, and i couldnt find my disc, I am gonna burn some new discs and re-install it.
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2005, 21:22 »
I might give it a go then, I'm not bother about editing config files I wasn't complaining I was just saying it can put some newbs off. Yess I suppost I'm still a bit of a newb but I know the basics and I'm clever wnough to RTFM and sort out most problems for myself. Come to think of it it'd be a chalange to set up Linux and get it working how I want it to without using the keyboard apart from entering text infomation, i.e type my name and info but no cammands or configuration file editing. I wonder if there's a dirstro out there that can do it and from what you're saying SuSE might be the one.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2005, 21:47 »
it'd be a chalange to set up Linux and get it working how I want it to without using the keyboard apart from entering text infomation, i.e type my name and info but no cammands or configuration file editing.
Least you get sane defaults.

I spend far less time getting a GNU/Linux system up and running than a Windows system. FAR.
Probably everyone who's confertable with both operating systems would say the same.