Author Topic: Thank fucking god, no more Ubuntu  (Read 2584 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Thank fucking god, no more Ubuntu
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2005, 22:05 »
The defaults vary frome distro to distro some may be more sane than others. I agree though, I probably only find Windows easier because I use it more often than Linux and I've grown up with it.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 20 October 2005, 23:04 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
The defaults vary frome distro to distro some may be more sane than others.
And they're all saner than every version of Windows, IMO (save the not-for-noobs distros that intentionally don't automatically setup a user a/c / etc.).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2005, 01:59 »
I had to alter fstab to enable my Win/Lin fat32 swap partition and a CD rom.
Had to alter xorg.conf to enable my second monitor and some missing resolutions.
Had to add asound.conf and rerun alsaconf to setup sound properly.

now it just works.

I don't know why alsaconf didn't work the first time. The xorg.conf is understandable, but I would have thought it would have put the entries for the monitor and card in but not enable it. The additions to fstab should not have been needed, Windows automatically installs new CD drives and partitions, theres no reason why Linux can't do the same (the CD drive was the one i used to install linux!).

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2005, 03:49 »
I hate ubuntu, I wanted to try it, being a linux n00b, so I made the live CD's. After reading some FAQ's, I decided to skip the ripoff and get the real deal, in short, I decided to install debianppc on a dual boot with OSX tiger, only to find that I wasted the rest of my CD's on crappy Ubuntu that didn't work anyways.

Narf Man

• Kudos: 10
    • http://www.novgrod.com
no more Ubuntu?
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2005, 13:07 »
kintaro... does Debian give you Linux's full power?
I've been using Xandros and quite frankly, it's pissing me off cuz it's so damn crippled. Even with K3B I can't burn faster than 2x and I can't get DVD burning ability to go. Windows partitions are read-only. The "file manager" crashes too frequently.
Xandros was OK when I was transitioning over from windowsland, but now it's just too restrictive (I'm not paying $90 to "unlock" full ability).

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #20 on: 21 October 2005, 20:25 »
Quote from: Pathos
I had to alter fstab to enable my Win/Lin fat32 swap partition and a CD rom.
Had to alter xorg.conf to enable my second monitor and some missing resolutions.
Had to add asound.conf and rerun alsaconf to setup sound properly.

Odd, I've never, ever had any problems like that with Slackware, it all just works from the get-go. :p

cymon

« Reply #21 on: 21 October 2005, 23:18 »
Debian is completly free, it is opensourced freeware. Just install X11 and have fun.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2005, 23:33 »
[OFFTOPIC]Narf Man,
Why do you always write in blue?[/OFFTOPIC]
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
Re: no more Ubuntu?
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2005, 01:33 »
Quote from: Narf Man
kintaro... does Debian give you Linux's full power?
I've been using Xandros and quite frankly, it's pissing me off cuz it's so damn crippled. Even with K3B I can't burn faster than 2x and I can't get DVD burning ability to go. Windows partitions are read-only. The "file manager" crashes too frequently.
Xandros was OK when I was transitioning over from windowsland, but now it's just too restrictive (I'm not paying $90 to "unlock" full ability).

Yep, Debian is probably the pinacle of Linux distributions. Only one I know that comes in 14 CD's. It has everything.

But I reckon slackware based distributions, just simpler and lighter and easier to use. Any non commercial distributions will give you the full linux capabilities. If you just want it for a desktop a totally recommend Vector Linux 5.1 SOHO, or Slackware itself.

cymon

« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2005, 03:02 »
I've decided to go with Debian, it seems pretty cool, and apt-get sounds useful, chatting on IRC even before you get Xwindows up. I'm going to install it next week, just because I've got a major project due monday, and I can't afford to lose it by accident.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #25 on: 22 October 2005, 06:29 »
Quote from: cymon
I hate ubuntu, I wanted to try it, being a linux n00b, so I made the live CD's. After reading some FAQ's, I decided to skip the ripoff and get the real deal, in short, I decided to install debianppc on a dual boot with OSX tiger, only to find that I wasted the rest of my CD's on crappy Ubuntu that didn't work anyways.

Ubuntu works fine on my G4... but why? You have OS X which you can get most, if not all of the linux stuff to work on - see fink.sf.net and darwinports.opendarwin.org. Including KDE and Gnome (I once had them on my powerbook g4...).
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

Narf Man

blue is cool, man
« Reply #26 on: 22 October 2005, 12:20 »
Thanks, Pathos.

And as for the color of my text... three main reasons:
1) All forums I belong to I post in blue. (a habit, perhaps?)
2) It makes me stand out
3) Why not? I really like blue.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
Thank fucking god, more Ubuntu!!!
« Reply #27 on: 22 October 2005, 12:41 »
Yeehah! No more Ubuntu? I say MORE Ubuntu! Breezy is sweet.

Firefoxfanphill

• Kudos: 17
« Reply #28 on: 22 October 2005, 22:51 »
Narf you attention whore you.

*joking*

Ubuntu was the first linux live cd I ever tried :-(.

Narf Man

Thank fucking god, no more Ubuntu
« Reply #29 on: 22 October 2005, 23:23 »
Attention whore?
Me?

...ok, well yeah.