Author Topic: Run Linux On Windows XP  (Read 1167 times)

ChakanTGM

• Kudos: 0
    • http://crackice.cjb.net
Run Linux On Windows XP
« on: 12 March 2003, 22:47 »
Yesterday I wrote a review called "Create a Windows / Linux Hybrid System". It's a tutorial of sorts that shows you step by step how to do just that.

Don't believe it? Look at the review on my website:

http://storm.nowgate.com
crackice.cjb.net

pkd_lives

Run Linux On Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2003, 01:44 »
...and?
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Run Linux On Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2003, 21:09 »
... and you expect us to hail you as a savior for "discovering" dual boot?.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Run Linux On Windows XP
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2003, 21:52 »
it doesn't look at all like he's talking about dual-boot, guys.

It looks more like:

Run Linux in something like VMWare.

Run a Windows-based X11 server and connect to the virtual Linux box.

Run X11 stuff on Linux, via Windoze.

Not a bad idea, really.
Go the fuck ~

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Run Linux On Windows XP
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2003, 14:21 »
it's not an 'idea' as such, but it is a very good looking tutorial about how to use cygwin, vmware et c in windows. personally i do not see the point. sure, linux is very cool and so are its programs but if you want to use them, just use real linux! why run linux stuff on a hobbled insecure heap of shit like windows? 'wouldn't it be nice to seamlessly... blah blah blah' yes it would, but you will have a much better chance of making the whole setup secure and stable if you start of with linux as your base and not windows, then you can get out the vmware, winex, dosemu et cetera and show us all how it's done. what do you think?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

ChakanTGM

Run Linux On Windows XP
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2003, 21:36 »
I'm not advocating the use of Microsoft software with this tutorial. In some situations, such as on the job, people really don't have a choice as to what OS they have to use.

It is not a tutorial on dual-booting, sheesh give me a break. This is a tutorial on using open source programs on Windows, and running them transparently on the desktop. There are a number of uses for such a configuration, perhaps for people that develop both Windows and Linux applications.

I wrote this tutorial because nobody else has, and if you think they have you are sadly mistaken. Go ahead and give me a link to any tutorial even remotely similar to what I've written. It is not a glorified tutorial on cygwin or vmware. It is a tutorial on implementing specific features of both products in order to run windows apps concurrently with Linux apps.

If you don't have any use for such a configuration, that's fine. I am a storng supporter of the open source movement, and this tutorial reflects that. If you think it doesn't, that's just your personal bias. I love my slackware box more then I could love any other commercial OS. Hopefully, my tutorial will win the praise of those who seek to wander in the bliss of Linux, but are incapable of doing so.
crackice.cjb.net

pkd_lives

Run Linux On Windows XP
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2003, 22:37 »
Hey don't get me wrong, it's very good for what it is, and it appears a well written piece, its just fairly pointless. As a development environment it sucks. Running a development project in a virtual mode (for want of a better descriptive term) produces only one thing - buggy code.

With such things as Knoppix around, it's getting really hard to see the benefits of such a system.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

ChakanTGM

Run Linux On Windows XP
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2003, 19:17 »
I'm not going to defend whether or not a hybrid configuration is useful or not. Personally, I like it because a KDE menu (kicker) and Windows start menu on the same desktop simply rocks; despite the faults of BOTH Windows and Linux.

I have no envy for Windows, and Linux should never try to be like Windows. But don't hold it against me that Windows played a part in making this tutorial. I can see that the prejudices of some people here are pretty great, and it's really hurting your objectivity.

Come on, if you've seen the screenshots you have to at least admit that it looks pretty cool. Even if it isn't much use to you, it still has the "awe" factor.
crackice.cjb.net

ChakanTGM

Run Linux On Windows XP
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2003, 19:20 »
quote:
it doesn't look at all like he's talking about dual-boot, guys.

It looks more like:

Run Linux in something like VMWare.

Run a Windows-based X11 server and connect to the virtual Linux box.

Run X11 stuff on Linux, via Windoze.

Not a bad idea, really.

Thanks Jimmy for actually reading the tutorial.
crackice.cjb.net