Author Topic: Fedora Core 4 -- Personal Observations  (Read 3143 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Fedora Core 4 -- Personal Observations
« on: 8 October 2005, 23:50 »
I decided to install Linux on another one of my computers.  I was seriously considering  going with Novell's SUSE Linux, but I couldn't find a copy of it for sale in stores (CompUSA sold out of it, and didn't order more... even though they have dozens of copies of Linspire :p ).  I figured that I'd give Fedora a try, since I've had the most experience with RedHat distributions (although this was my first Fedora install).

The system runs fine now, but I was frustrated by a lot of things.  

The partitioning system of the install process (Disk Druid) seems bug free and pretty easy to use.  However, it really annoyed me.  I already had two primary partitions (suspend to disk partition and Win98 (for games) ).  I wanted to put the whole linux install (root partition, swap partition, home partition) on one extended partition, while saving the slot (and enough free space) for a future OS (FreeBSD maybe).  Disk Druid would not allow me to do this:  it insisted on putting the root partition as a primary partition.   I could go fix this later with GNU parted, but WTF?  

Fedora Core 4 uses a graphical boot program called rhgb, instead of the console based boot sequence.  It looks pretty, and would probably appeal to many people.  However, it completely broke the virtual text consoles (you know, the ones accessed by CTRL-ALT F1,F2,F3,F4,F5, or F6).  Even worse, it broke the shutdown and reboot sequences, causing the computer to lock up at the end of the sequences instead of powering up or rebooting.  I was able to disable rhgb by taking "rhgb" out of the kernel arguments in /etc/grub.conf, but again, WTF?

After installation, I ran yum in update mode and found 640 MB of updates needed to be downloaded and installed.  This took a long time, even with broadband.  

I installed the auth package so I could run identd and access IRC, but the default arguments for it in xinetd.config were broken. It took about a half-an-hour of trial and error before I got it running.

Postfix wouldn't start up with the /etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix script.  It starts up fine from the command line though.

The installs of Firefox and Mozilla are coded to use what looks like a GNOME-based interface for saving downloaded files.  It's a little awkward to use, but I could get over that.  However, if you create a new directory for the downloaded file using this interface, it forgets what the file name was.  

Windowmaker won't compile on FC4.  No RPMs were available for Koffice.  Many source RPMS built for FC3 which don't exist in FC4 wouldn't compile.  

Oh yeah... the GNOME desktop uses spatial nautilus, and it's not clear how to switch the behavior away from spatial.  I always found spatial file managers to be cumbersome and annoying, and with a linux system they seems almost unusable.  Some people may like them, but it should be something that is easy to change.  Pretty much enough to make me stick to KDE.  

Overall, FC4 struck me as being very beta-ish and required a significant amount of work to get it running smoothly.  It works fine after all that work (much of which I think would be beyond a raw newbie), so I think I'll keep it, but I think people should know what to expect.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Fedora Core 4 -- Personal Observations
« Reply #1 on: 8 October 2005, 23:57 »
i like FC4, its bootloader was fine for me, not problems shutting down. I didnt have that many updates to go through
sig.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #2 on: 9 October 2005, 03:36 »
i used fedora when i first switched to linux but found too many problems and now im running debian :)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 9 October 2005, 03:38 »
Although I haven't tried FC4 I've tried both Redhat 9 and FC2 and they were fine except they were a bit slow and Redhat did lock up a bit.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #4 on: 9 October 2005, 14:12 »
Fedora, fucked up. So I tried Ubuntu, came fucked up out of the box. Debian died on me. Now I run slackware.

Finally I am happy.

Slackware rules.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #5 on: 9 October 2005, 18:01 »
you shoulda went further to find SuSE. SuSE and Slackware are my favourite distros to use.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #6 on: 9 October 2005, 20:38 »
I would, but I am far to stubborn for trying anything new.

Im old.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #7 on: 9 October 2005, 23:42 »
Quote from: kintaro
Slackware rules.

Agreed, Fedora was far too slow for me. :fu:

Commander

• Kudos: 52
« Reply #8 on: 9 October 2005, 23:52 »
glad to see i'm not the only one.  I installed fedora over the summer and couldnt stand it.  I know it's not a perfectly stable release, but that's no excuse for having a distro that has so many "odd" things in it.
I prefer suse over any other distro.  besides, novell gives away free software/trials every year.
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2005, 01:43 »
Tried Mandrake way back when. Fucked up.
FC1. Fucked up.
Ubuntu. WAY fucked up.
Back to Win98 while deciding what to try next. :(

Quote from: kintaro
Im old.

STFU 18 year old hippie. :P
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2005, 01:51 »
Try Slackware 10.2, I have it installed now, and it's great so far.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2005, 02:05 »
Gentoo.  2.6.13-hardened.  Eat it.  :D

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #12 on: 10 October 2005, 02:05 »
Quote from: Annorax
Tried Mandrake way back when. Fucked up.
FC1. Fucked up.
Ubuntu. WAY fucked up.
Back to Win98 while deciding what to try next. :(

STFU 18 year old hippie. :P

Sounds like you need a real saviour...

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2005, 06:43 »
I've got Vector Linux SOHO. Based on slackware.

Its absolutely gorgeous (once you got your hardware working).

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #14 on: 2 November 2005, 04:41 »
FC 4 works fine for me ... I couldn't install SUSE cuz it wouldn't recognize my hard-drive, is that even possible ? The fewer packages you pick in FC the less you will have to download. By the way FC has never locked up on me. You know I can't think of a better distro ... the only one that can even compete is FreeBSD, but that's not linux. I say try FreeBSD if you get around to it.