Author Topic: Fedora Core 4 -- Personal Observations  (Read 3139 times)

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
Re: Fedora Core 4 -- Personal Observations
« Reply #15 on: 2 November 2005, 15:52 »
Funny that, because every Fedora Core release I have used (up to 4) has been absolutely horrible, one of the slowest distros I have EVER used, second to Linspire actually :rolleyes:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #16 on: 2 November 2005, 18:51 »
Gosh, I have used Fedora since version 1, and it has always been good to me.  It's not exactly OSX, but it is still pretty good.  SuSE I didn't like because it was so heavily dependent on KDE - I like Gnome better.  In fact, FC distros are all about Gnome, so they do it a bit better than anybody else.  I use Slackware on my ftp server, because it can run securely for years without me ever logging in, but it doesn't have any of the handy graphical system management tools that Fedora has.  I've been incredibly pleased with the Fedora project, and I use it as my primary OS at the office.

Of course your mileage may vary - all distros are somewhat different, and I've been using Fedora so long that it feels like normal to me, and KDE seems foreign and ridiculous.  Difft strokes, they say.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #17 on: 2 November 2005, 21:29 »
I agree with MarathoN here, Fedora has always been slow for me too.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

MarathoN

« Reply #18 on: 2 November 2005, 22:43 »
Well, the reason why I love Slackware so much, is because it's quite a manual distro, everything you want to do you can do yourself, so it's quite an "independent" distro in that instance.

But that's why I don't really like Gentoo, it's too manual for my liking. :P

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #19 on: 2 November 2005, 23:59 »
Quote from: MarathoN
Funny that, because every Fedora Core release I have used (up to 4) has been absolutely horrible, one of the slowest distros I have EVER used, second to Linspire actually :rolleyes:

:nothappy: NO NO NO !!! Nothing is worse than Linspire except M$ Window$ ... I disagree, I've tried Linspire and it sucks ass, it wouldn't even recognize my modem, I was going to buy a new fucking modem for a piece of shit distro called Linspire. Fedora reconized my modem instantly, I didn't even need to do anything. Linspire sucks, Fedora is far better than Linspire. :nothappy: It's not slow on my computer, Linspire was like twice as slow to boot, and Mandrake was in-between.

Speed rating by me: (these are the 3 distros that actually installed on my computer without major issues)

Fedora > Mandriva > Linspire

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #20 on: 3 November 2005, 00:11 »
Whoa - just because an OS doesn't automatically include settings information for your modem doesn't mean it sucks.  Actually, the fact that some companies distribute settings files with their distros is a bonus.  And some rare or outdated hardware support isn't usually built into the installation kernel.  That makes a distro smart, not sucky.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #21 on: 3 November 2005, 00:29 »
Quote from: worker201
Whoa - just because an OS doesn't automatically include settings information for your modem doesn't mean it sucks. Actually, the fact that some companies distribute settings files with their distros is a bonus. And some rare or outdated hardware support isn't usually built into the installation kernel. That makes a distro smart, not sucky.

I tried everthing to make it work, I was NOT expecting it to work right from the start. I interrogated the tech support for hours on end. I searched every corner of the internet for a fix. I talked to all the Linux experts about it and NOBODY COULD FUCKING FIX IT on Linspire at least. And it goes of and works perfectly on Fedora ... it's not that I was expecting it to work perfectly ... its that it would NOT work at all !!! (You can tell, I'm a bit angry)

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #22 on: 3 November 2005, 09:58 »
Probably a propriety driver written by the company, its not surprising because Fedora is a commercial focused product and has been around for quite a while so they would have gone through the trouble of making it work.

You should trash that win modem and use a linux supported model anyway. From now on I'm only going to purchase hardware with good linux support.

MarathoN

« Reply #23 on: 4 November 2005, 01:54 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
:nothappy: NO NO NO !!! Nothing is worse than Linspire except M$ Window$ ... I disagree, I've tried Linspire and it sucks ass, it wouldn't even recognize my modem, I was going to buy a new fucking modem for a piece of shit distro called Linspire. Fedora reconized my modem instantly, I didn't even need to do anything. Linspire sucks, Fedora is far better than Linspire. :nothappy: It's not slow on my computer, Linspire was like twice as slow to boot, and Mandrake was in-between.

Speed rating by me: (these are the 3 distros that actually installed on my computer without major issues)

Fedora > Mandriva > Linspire

You dumb shit, that is why I said it's SECOND to Linspire in terms of speed. :rolleyes:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #24 on: 4 November 2005, 03:50 »
Quote from: MarathoN
You dumb shit, that is why I said it's SECOND to Linspire in terms of speed. :rolleyes:

Second to Linspire as in Linspire is 1st in speed ? or the other way around ? ... yes I tend to be a dumb shit sometimes, but not too often.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #25 on: 7 November 2005, 02:45 »
no fedora core is second slowest to linspire.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #26 on: 7 November 2005, 06:48 »
Ahh ... I see ... so you are comparing slowness not fastness ... duh ! :D

MarathoN

« Reply #27 on: 11 November 2005, 21:42 »
Quote from: Pathos
no fedora core is second slowest to linspire.

Indeed, I would never call Fedora or Linspire fast, because they have both always been slow as shit. :p

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #28 on: 15 November 2005, 03:33 »
I've used Windows XPm, I used to use Redhat 5 years ago, Mandrake before it got brought out by Mandriva, and Fedora Core. Fedora core has been much faster than Windows XP. I have a POS 550 MHZ PC w/500 MHZ ram, 1 38 gb hdd and 1 28 gb HDD.

My computer is a relic, but runs better on Fedora in terms of speed than the above mentioned. Thanks for the heads up on Linspire.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

MarathoN

« Reply #29 on: 15 November 2005, 03:36 »
Slackware 10.2 w/ the XFCE desktop environment runs great for me.

But, I have a 1.53ghz AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and 512mb of DDR RAM. :P