Author Topic: Fedora Core 4 -- Personal Observations  (Read 3141 times)

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
Re: Fedora Core 4 -- Personal Observations
« Reply #30 on: 16 November 2005, 18:55 »
From my personal experience, Fedora Core 4 itself is not much slower than other systems. What matters is how it is configured.

Currently i use ubuntu 5.04 (upgrading right now, actually, to 5.10) and I notice some speed improvements upon Fedora Core 3 (the last one I used), but that is most likely because I know more about linux systems, and do not currently have server software and everything else running that I didn't need in Fedora Core 3.

The only reason I'm choosing Ubuntu over fedora core is trivial; They are both great Linux/GNU Operating Systems.

When I first converted to linux 3 years ago, I liked Redhat's GUI config programs. There are not quite as many in Ubuntu, and they are not quite as nice as now-Fedora's, but I don't need them anymore, really.

SuSE is a very nice, well polished distro that I hope to test out soon after setting up ubuntu 5.10.

In the past, every major distro release I re-asses my choice of distro. Back with redhat I compared it to mandrake, and redhat won. I compared fedora with slackware and suse, fedora won. FC4 came around and when I compared it with ubuntu 5.04, ubuntu won in my mind.

Are there any tremendous differences? not really. They are all linux. They all run fast (on my AMD 2600, 768mb DDR266), they are all stable, and they are all easy to install. The only differeces are their user-friendliness. That part I won't comment on, because I can no longer responsibly make claims to user friendliness as a Linux novice would notice it.

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Re: Fedora Core 4 -- Personal Observations
« Reply #31 on: 21 December 2005, 05:21 »
Well, I gotta follow up on this thread two and a half months later.  After learning how to use the yum search tool more effectively I'm finding alot more precompiled software and libraries are is available for FC4 than I originally thought.  Things like windowmaker and koffice and zillions of libraries.  I still have problems building some stuff that doesn't come prepackaged in repositories, like the latest windowmaker or scigraphica (darn things just won't compile without errors), but there's alot more available that I don't have to compile than I originally thought.

Everything else still stands.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....