Author Topic: How to crash your computer using IE and a line of HTML  (Read 4533 times)

Jack2000

Re: How to crash your computer using IE and a line of HTML
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2005, 15:56 »
Nice trick :)

ps: I don't like Opera becouse it is too ... hm how do you say this ...
Overdid(overdo??)...
...an overkill :D...
...too much bling  ...

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2005, 16:33 »
I see nobody ever has the balls to respond to my comments about Opera's severe lack of features regarding rendering that inhibit its ability to use certain important features on many popular sites.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2005, 16:52 »
That's because Opera is fully standards compliant and I have never had any problem with it, and if I do then I'll use Firefox to view that particular website. I don't see a problem here, to me this would be just like temporaryly switching to IE to view a couple of websites - wow that really hurts!
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2005, 17:42 »
Quote from: kintaro
I see nobody ever has the balls to respond to my comments about Opera's severe lack of features regarding rendering that inhibit its ability to use certain important features on many popular sites.

What important features? I haven't noticed anything missing anywhere.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2005, 19:29 »
I think kintario is complaining because he doesn't know how to use Opera properly, he doesn't know how to install the appropriate extentions to use certain web features.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2005, 22:08 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
This is both a Mozilla and Windows bug, mainly the latter since however buggey a browser (or any other application) is it should not crash the whole OS.
Mozilla bug? How do you know (note well: know) that?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2005, 23:58 »
Because this issue doesn't affect Opera, also if Windows wasn't affected by this bug then Mozilla would just crash instead of bringing down the whole system.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: 14 October 2005, 18:35 »
Because this issue doesn't affect Opera, also if Windows wasn't affected by this bug then Mozilla would just crash instead of bringing down the whole system.
Does it still affect IE?
The Opera guys could be using some workaround.
How come this bug doesn't appear in the GNU/Linux releases of Mozilla? Is the GNU/Linux-specific code OK and some Windows-specific code broken?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #23 on: 15 October 2005, 01:50 »
My system hung when I tried this, using Firefox 1.0.7 and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 15 October 2005, 02:52 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Does it still affect IE?
The Opera guys could be using some workaround.
How come this bug doesn't appear in the GNU/Linux releases of Mozilla? Is the GNU/Linux-specific code OK and some Windows-specific code broken?

That's a good point.

Have you tried this in Linux?

Does Firefox crash?

My reasoning was that Firefox asks Windows GDI to draw a big fuck off bitmap and Windows crashes, when it should just terminate Firefox and display a message saying "This program has performed an illegal operation." Even if this bug isn't present in the Linux version it doesn't prove anything since X handles graphics in a totally differant way do Windows, and some of the code is differant in the Windows version.

Opera has still proved it's worth either way, you say they may've worked around this bug. Well if this is true it shows thier knowledge of Windows programming is superiour to Mozilla's.

Yes, a Windows thing since this affects IE too but this could just be a coninsidence, or you could be right. I don't know perhapps Firefox is expecting an error code to be generated so it can display a message or something but Windows just crashes, perhapps you could read the source or better still fix it.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #25 on: 15 October 2005, 03:05 »
i am using a very phucked up copy of windows XP SP2 and the my system did not hang or crash with that image, it simply loaded it in a few seconds and nothing happened.
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: 15 October 2005, 18:51 »
That's a good point.

Have you tried this in Linux?

Does Firefox crash?

My reasoning was that Firefox asks Windows GDI to draw a big fuck off bitmap and Windows crashes, when it should just terminate Firefox and display a message saying "This program has performed an illegal operation." Even if this bug isn't present in the Linux version it doesn't prove anything since X handles graphics in a totally differant way do Windows, and some of the code is differant in the Windows version.

Opera has still proved it's worth either way, you say they may've worked around this bug. Well if this is true it shows thier knowledge of Windows programming is superiour to Mozilla's.

Yes, a Windows thing since this affects IE too but this could just be a coninsidence, or you could be right. I don't know perhapps Firefox is expecting an error code to be generated so it can display a message or something but Windows just crashes, perhapps you could read the source or better still fix it.
It doesn't crash for me.
If Windows GDI or whatever causes the system to crash when asked to draw a huge image, then Windows GDI needs to be fixed.
Or we could just check that the image isn't big enough before we ask Windows GDI to draw it, and if it isn't display an error message. Maybe the Opera guys decided "We needa work around this" and did something similar, and the Firefox guys said "Windows GDI is broke, not Firefox. Microsoft needs to fix Windows GDI, it's their bug". It doesn't necessarily mean that the Opera developers are more skilled than the Firefox developers when it comes to coding for Windows. Maybe they just decided differently.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 15 October 2005, 23:38 »
Oh yes the Opera developers have decided to do things differently which has resulted in a superiour piece of software - sorry I just couldn't help myself. :D

I think , however that this is a Windows bug rather than a Mozilla of IE bug, I don't know why it doesn't affect Opera, perhapps it's because it renders pictures differently, in Opera everything's fully zoomable and may be this has something to do with this.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 16 October 2005, 00:11 »
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=289864
Don't know if you know this or not but it seems that StretchBlt(...) is causing the BSOD. The graphic card is trying to stretch that image to 9999999, causing watchdog to think that the device driver is spinning in an infinite loop. Resulting in a bugcheck...
There's patches in there to stop it from rendering the image. And suposadly, it's fixed (dunno exactly what that means) in trunk (should be fixed in the 1.5 betas).

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2005, 00:27 »
konqueror owns :)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------